Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you buy a boat with 810 hours on it?

Asmodeus2112

I know, proper care and engines can run for 2000 hours. I always thought I could be cool with a higher hour engine, but I'm about to buy a boat with 810 and it's giving me cold feet. Biggest worry is will anyone be interested in a 1000+ hour boat in a 3-4 years?

My 2001 has 800 on it now, I would buy it. It is not the engine that will be the problem. Check the vinyl, floor, gel coat, trailer, steering cable etc.

Indeed. This is a 2001 as well. Those things need work, but I have that covered. Would like to avoid a top end job or major engine work.

I bought a boat with 650 hours on it because it was in immaculate condition. I bypassed boats with 300 hrs which had torn upholstery and rust.

I think we get a little spoilt with boats. There will always be someone in a different budget bracket looking to buy your boat. I sold my 80s model I/O within a week of listing it, much like I've sold old bomb cars to young fellas who can only afford old bomb cars (like me when I was 18).

Consider it as a car. If you average 50 mph in a car - 800 hrs would be about 40,000 miles. Would you buy a truck with that mileage?

• Like 1

This is the merc scorpion? I remember being about 10-12 yrs old on the Fox River in Wisconsin we would pass the mercury test facility and they would have mercury motors lined up across the seawall all running WFO, I guess until something broke, they had a bunch of test boats they would run out into Lake Winnebago, if they put any of that into the scorpion I wouldn't worry about hours at all. If it bothers you buy an agreed value ins policy from Travelers, mine covers major mechanical failure.

• Like 1

Sold our 06 vlx, 350, with 1500 hours last year went in about 2 weeks; sold it just over 30k. Like everyone is saying it's how you take care of it, there always a buyer. Ours was a rental boat and the buyer was told that and that still didn't change the decision because the way the boat was presented (clean, everything worked, drives well, clean bilge, maintenance rec, and shiny waxed haul sells a boat.

• Like 1

This is the merc scorpion? I remember being about 10-12 yrs old on the Fox River in Wisconsin we would pass the mercury test facility and they would have mercury motors lined up across the seawall all running WFO, I guess until something broke, they had a bunch of test boats they would run out into Lake Winnebago, if they put any of that into the scorpion I wouldn't worry about hours at all. If it bothers you buy an agreed value ins policy from Travelers, mine covers major mechanical failure.

I saw that once in my youth as well. I thought that was pretty crazy/cool as a kid.

couples week ago my buddy and I took out our boats to ride and hang out. he bought his 06 SAN 210 brand new. it now has 1450 hours. runs great but the interior is starting to show it's age. bought my 04 VLX with 350 hours on it, it's now at 1150 hours. and pretty much the only thing showing its age is... you guessed it. the interior. it was pretty cool being out there with just two boats having over 2500 combined hours!

• Like 1

It would be a no brainer to buy it to me. Every boat is used after 1 hour or so and it is all proper care and MAINTENENCE. I would try to get the maintnence records if possible. If not, get a compression check/check oil for cleanliness and no milky like oil. I personally would rub my hand underneath the motor and check for oil leaks, not that leaks are going to hurt a motor but oil in the bilge can be a pain.

Just give it the good look over and go for it man.

• Like 1

Not sure I would ever buy a rental.. At least in cars they have two speeds: off and on full throttle with the tires squealin' and smokin'. 800 hours on a well kept boat? Why not?

• Like 2

Not sure I would ever buy a rental.. At least in cars they have two speeds: off and on full throttle with the tires squealin' and smokin'. 800 hours on a well kept boat? Why not?

In Arizona we used to say that there are some place you can only get to in a 4x4 or a rental car.

In Arizona we used to say that there are some place you can only get to in a 4x4 or a rental car.

True that Asmodeous, you can get into some tough spots with a rental.

I knew a girl once who actually bought a used rental car. On purpose. Of course, this is the same girl who actually slammed her head in a car door . . . . .

• Like 1

Consider it as a car. If you average 50 mph in a car - 800 hrs would be about 40,000 miles. Would you buy a truck with that mileage?

Average car RPMs over that 40,000 miles is prob about 1500-2000rpms. my truck turns 1900 rpms at 65-70mph. It'll down shift to 2500 when towing heavy loads or excellerating hard, but for the most part 2000 or less.

Average RPMs on a wakeboat? 3000+ ? crusing much over 25mph you are into 3000+. When you are loaded heavy most folks are 3600-4000rpms.

Apples and oranges use between boats and cars. Folks tend to use the phrase "always under load" for a wakeboat.... I would suggest its always running high rpms, and these arent Japanese tuners.

I think this is why folks are seeing oil burn off, oil breakdown and oil consumption as they approach 50hrs. Engines are doing nearly twice the work within the same interval.

With all that being said, Yes I certainly would consider a boat with 800hrs IF I had a great dealer nearby for support. If you dont have a great dealer nearby that will treat you like valued customer in May... June.... July, or you cant do the more intesive trouble shooting and work yourself, probrably not the best boat for you.

• Like 1

I bought a boat with 650 hours on it because it was in immaculate condition. I bypassed boats with 300 hrs which had torn upholstery and rust.

I think we get a little spoilt with boats. There will always be someone in a different budget bracket looking to buy your boat. I sold my 80s model I/O within a week of listing it, much like I've sold old bomb cars to young fellas who can only afford old bomb cars (like me when I was 18).

Many of the new cars now have a display for average MPH. Unless you're doing a lot of highway driving, your average MPH is probably more like 30MPH which would make 800 hours more like 25k miles. Ryan makes some good points as well as far as engine loading in a marine application vs automotive, but I wouldn't have any problems buying a boat with 800 hours.

• Like 1

Many of the new cars now have a display for average MPH. Unless you're doing a lot of highway driving, your average MPH is probably more like 30MPH which would make 800 hours more like 25k miles. Ryan makes some good points as well as far as engine loading in a marine application vs automotive, but I wouldn't have any problems buying a boat with 800 hours.

It's also hard to tell how many hours were under way vs. listening to the stereo with the ignition on or idling around the lake looking at real estate drinking a beverage. I think you have to be a bit judgmental about the previous owners, were they older folk with a lake house, barefooters, crazy college kid etc. The boat i'm considering was owned by skiers, so probably a fair amount of higher RPM time, as opposed to lower RPM with ballast making a wake...

It's also hard to tell how many hours were under way vs. listening to the stereo with the ignition on or idling around the lake looking at real estate drinking a beverage. I think you have to be a bit judgmental about the previous owners, were they older folk with a lake house, barefooters, crazy college kid etc. The boat i'm considering was owned by skiers, so probably a fair amount of higher RPM time, as opposed to lower RPM with ballast making a wake...

can you get a print out of the hours by rpm from the ECM? Seems like I saw that somewhere that could be done

• Like 1

Just like highway miles on a car. See? Skiers are good for boats.