Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ZLD and Bluetooth dongle?

wakesetter8796

We hate our head unit. We want to get the ZLD and a Bluetooth dongle or whatever to be able to control our music in the boat by Bluetooth. Which dongle should I get? Do we just need the ZLD and the dongle?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I use 99% of the time.

We have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0038MA11U

I have it hard wired in under the dash. No wires, phone syncs within about 5 seconds of powering up the stereo.

Right now I think I'd spend the extra for the wetsounds bt interface because it looks like the cleanest thing going and you can skip tracks.

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17861&cat=285&page=1

the dongle is zip tied up under the dash. I could take a picture of it, but your imagination is just as good. The ZLD looks the same before and after, so a pic isn't really helpful.

Yes, you can use the phone to skip tracks and that's what we do mostly. The bonus of the wetsounds unit is that when the phone is away, or the screen has locked, you don't have to power it up, put your pass code in and then skip... you can just skip without touching the phone. It's really only an issue when you are dj'ing with a rider behind the boat.

Hm wouldn't it look weird with almost all exile stuff and then a wetsounds BT dongle? LOL

Oh I dunno. My zld keeps the rev10s in check just fine.

My boat is the switzerland of audio.... wetsounds, exile, hse, clarion, jl audio, arc audio, image dynamics and polk.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

I have the wetsounds BT receiver and I will warn that the range isn't that great. I use a lifeproof Nuud case with the lifejacket and when I have the phone tied up to the rear grab handle it starts to break up. I have the module installed just under the dash and still doesn't get the range i would like. I usually wrap the landyard for the lifejacket around the tower base and that seems to work well. I might move the BT receiver towards the rear of the boat so I can have the phone at the back.

I have the wetsounds BT receiver and I will warn that the range isn't that great. I use a lifeproof Nuud case with the lifejacket and when I have the phone tied up to the rear grab handle it starts to break up. I have the module installed just under the dash and still doesn't get the range i would like. I usually wrap the landyard for the lifejacket around the tower base and that seems to work well. I might move the BT receiver towards the rear of the boat so I can have the phone at the back.

Mine miccus unit is about the same. Great for the cabin of the boat but questionable in the bow or beyond the back seats. Still, works perfect for observer control via the phone, or with phone in the glove box.

exile makes there own bluetooth unit for the zld if your concerned about manufacture continuity

I thought this was in development but not yet released?

I used the Milennia BT dongle hanging off the back of the ZLD all summer, works great. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EigAIHSj5Fw/p_822BTREC/Milennia-MIL-BTREC.html Range is not fantastic but it connects very quickly and sounds fine.

• Like 1

seems semi-vapor-ware-ish. Very much doubt it's going to offer more functionality than a zld with a dongle, and likely less functionality (i.e. track skipping) but would love to be proven wrong.

I thought this was in development but not yet released?

I used the Milennia BT dongle hanging off the back of the ZLD all summer, works great. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EigAIHSj5Fw/p_822BTREC/Milennia-MIL-BTREC.html Range is not fantastic but it connects very quickly and sounds fine.

I'm going to get one of these, and thanks to this thread talking about range I'm going to mount it here:Bluetooth%20Location.PNG

It ain't elegant but it connects like RIGHT away and sounds decent. Given that it's cheapish I'm OK with it looking like a shrink tubed Popsicle stick. It would be nice to have one that looks like the GPS doohickey from Perfect Pass, I'm sure getting it out from under the dash will help with range.

ahopkins22LSV

I'm going to get one of these, and thanks to this thread talking about range I'm going to mount it here:Bluetooth%20Location.PNG

Thats a good idea to mount it there. So you are just going to run long aux cables all the way up to your stereo?