Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking of buying a Nautique

UofM_MXZ

The mkz is a malibu. The 226 I was closing a deal on and another salesman sold it on my guys day off. It's the breaks. I had an official check already prepared to send to them. They were sorry that it happened and helping get another ride at a good price. No hard feelings at all.

U of m, mxz. Not mkz. Anyway, mxz is a wake machine and the boat used by all malibus team riders. Nothing crossover about it. You have a better crossover already. If you want a correct craft, look at a 210 or 230. An mxz and a vlx is quite a stable, however.

• Like 1

Even though I love bu nautique is great also. In your situation if you are looking at an MXZ as a crossover you might as well be looking at an X Star, their primary focus is both wakeboard. I would get the 210 with NSS. Looks to be a sweet ride.

yeah auto correct makes the mxz turn into mkz. I would use the vlx as a crossover if I got it. like I said we barely ski at all. just if someone gets an itch. we surf the most by far.

call me crazy, but if what you want is a great surf boat that wakeboards OK, and will pull an occasional skier or tube (gasp! ;) ), it seems like you are barking up the wrong tree. I understand the temptation of a "deal" but sometimes those deals end up costing more because you figure out that you left something on the table.

I was inder the impression that the 210 with the surf system and the mxz both threw out very good surf wakes. I wouldn't consider a brand outaide of malibu or nautique. just not for me I guess.

A 12 MXZ wouldn't have surfgate, would it? The MXZ isn't really known to be malibu's "surf boat" afaik, and there's certainly been enough written about "spay gate" to suggest that the SG version doesn't fair much better. If you are considering an MXZ why not throw the LSV into the mix? Yes it's longer, but if memory serves it's like 700lbs lighter too. And it's a proven surf hull in the 'bu lineup. That's all I'm sayin'.

210 with NSS probably a decent choice, though the pics I've seen of the wave have been "just OK" compared to the 230. 230 seems like the "value proposition" in the nautique lineup if you can find a leftover with NSS.

no surfgate on the mxz. my wife doesn't want a 23' boat. I thought about it.

have you actually compared the two though? Does she know that the MXZ while nominally being 22' is really heavier than the 23'er? What's the objection to the 23? Just "too big"? Wasn't the 226 a 22.5 footer?

IMHO it's a distinction without a difference, but I understanding wanting to keep momma happy.

• Like 1

yeah I completely agree. she said 23 was too much....I am just happy she is letting me get something. I think she feels more comfortable driving the smaller boat. she wouldn't say that though.

ahopkins22LSV

Have you driven both a 22mxz and a 23lsv? I have not but I suggest you do because just thinking it through I would almost bet that the mxz feels bigger driving due to the pickle fork bow. I could be very wrong but it makes sense in my head. :crazy:

I agree with shawn. The lsv sounds like a better solution.

Edited by ahopkins1988

I've read through the whole thread and I am really confused here. You stated you wanted a crossover originally. Now you are looking at the most pure wake boarding boat in the Malibu line up?

You own a 2012 vlx right? What's that boat not doing for you?

Surf (check)

Pull tubes (check)

Day on the water (check)

Wakeboard (check)

Under 23 (check)

Ski (check) for someone not picky

I thought I read the whole thread, what did I miss? I am not jumping your case really. Help us help you.

yeah I completely agree. she said 23 was too much....I am just happy she is letting me get something. I think she feels more comfortable driving the smaller boat. she wouldn't say that though.

220 then, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha! Makes way more sense. So few of us are in that spot. In that case it might be fun to try a different boat and I see your reasoning. You are getting a lot of good advice from 85 I think. Dude has a lot of experience for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

....Ryan, you are definitely the minority in the Malibu ownership experience, we are all sorry you had such a terrible experience. It does wear on people here having you continuously give Malibu poor ratings. Its odd to me you still monitor this site so frequently....

Ryan is a paying member here....

You wanna know why non malibu and former malibu owners come here or stick around after they sell their 'bu? Because hands down this is the best towboat forum on the interwebs. There's still plenty of non-malibu-specific information shared here... Probably more than anywhere else.

Me personally, I try to keep my lip zipped about my non 'bu brand unless asked directly. It's not the place. But my experience and Ryan's were vastly different too... I owned a used, out of warranty malibu purchased from a private party, while he owned a brand new one from the dealer. While his dealer/ownership experience seems to be an outlier, it is not without value to a potential buyer.

I agree with this 100%. I don't "bash" Malibu. I will provide some constructive comments (like my post on QA). Overall, my experience with Malibu was great and I have no issues with them. I only moved to MC because I felt that their 20 foot offering checked more of our boxes than Malibu did.

This is the best overall boating forum (which is why I chose to update my membership once again here). team talk is just so slow (and censored). LOL

I don't have any interest in the 23lsv. Only in a Nautique 226 or 230 possibly but mostly the 226.

226 is a great boat with a ton of family features. The ONLY reason I didn't buy one when I was looking at both the VLX and LSV was the price. I just couldn't get a good deal on one... MarineMax has a few that they still call me on every so often.... might check with them.