Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking of buying a Nautique

UofM_MXZ

We are thinking of buying a Nautique crossover boat for our other home that is on the water and I would like to know peoples real world experience with them. It will be a new boat, and I have always wanted one. I personally love the design but I would like to know about their new boat quality etc. Any valuable and honest experience would be great. Please no "buy another Malibu" posts. Malibu's are all I have ever owned, and I may like to try something different for the second boat.

Nicest wakeboard boat I've been in was a Nautique 230. Seriously, just everything was so perfect about it. I've seen a handful of new ones have their share of problems, but then again I've seen a handful of new Malibu's have problems too. Personally, I'd go with whatever boat I can get the best deal on that meets all my criteria. Narrowing your search limits everything.

• Like 1

A member here bought a new crossover Nautique a couple of years ago. He traded it for a Malibu within a year. Maybe it is the nature of a crossover boat, but he said the boat did nothing well. I'll see if I can find his e mail addy and send it to you.

I originally wanted a 210 and really like the boat, I looked at a VLX and .......................well that's what I own now. I still like Nautique, my son competed and rode behind pretty much brands and found the 210 sensitive to weight displacement, he really liked the 230. They are great boats as far as I'm concerned; I like their fit, finish; but that's my opinion. I found on the 210 the storage was limited due to the sacks instead of hard tanks and .......the 210 was more expensive then the VLX. I have 300 hours on my VLX and honestly still love the boat; no issues, a guy at out lake has the 210 and has trouble finding good weight distribution for surfing; his experience, not mine.

Thanks guys. Our family isn't hardcore wake boarders....we ski a little and tube some and we are learning to surf. We enjoy the malibu and any boat as much for a family function than a tow boat if that makes sense. I am in love with the looks/fit of nautique but it is a lot of money...so the more Info I can find which isn't much on the 226 the better

Based on your profile name are you in Michigan? If yes, the Nautique dealer north of Ann Arbor is very reputable and very focused on customer satisfaction. I am starting to think that is more important than the boat brand.

Nautique is a quality brand, I've been eyeballing a Sport 200 versus a VTX since we do a lot of skiing. Depending on how much skiing you do a 226 is more wake board than ski.

No matter what test ski/board anything you are considering. Test it for every sport you plan to do behind it to make sure it will do what you want.

226 has the same hull as the 2013 230 I was told. Looks pretty nice. Stay away from the SV-211, that boat does nothing well. Sport Nautique 200 seems like a good crossover boat. I personally would get a 210 with NSS.

Based on your profile name are you in Michigan? If yes, the Nautique dealer north of Ann Arbor is very reputable and very focused on customer satisfaction. I am starting to think that is more important than the boat brand.

Nautique is a quality brand, I've been eyeballing a Sport 200 versus a VTX since we do a lot of skiing. Depending on how much skiing you do a 226 is more wake board than ski.

No matter what test ski/board anything you are considering. Test it for every sport you plan to do behind it to make sure it will do what you want.

I am in northern VA area just a Mich grad. Our dealer around here is Chessie Marine or Bills Marine. I think chessie is very reputable and they are very nice people to talk to.
  • Like 2

226 has the same hull as the 2013 230 I was told. Looks pretty nice. Stay away from the SV-211, that boat does nothing well. Sport Nautique 200 seems like a good crossover boat. I personally would get a 210 with NSS.

226 and 211 can throw awesome wakes if you add 2k above stock ballast. the hulls are similar 230 to 226 and 210 to 211. but the Chines in the mid hull to back end are what mellow the cross overs out.

if you want info on the 2014 230, I'm your man!

IMG_20130921_160206980_zpsa01d9f5f.jpg

me and my buddy did over 10 hours of "product testing" on a weekend

I actually went out on a 230 here about 3 weeks ago as I was considering a trade to one.

My Observations Owner of boat let me drive both surfing and wakeboarding.

My kids are the ones that wakeboard/surf so there observations are that the

Wake is very steep and larger compared to my 23LSV. It looked like a Wall and a bit intimating. Mind you we are just beginners at this So fokes may like steeper.

Boat is not as loud had 409 in it.

oil filter is right up front and easy entry to engine

All ballast filled/drained in 7min

Interior was very nice but seemed smaller but very comfortable.

flooring deck is far superior to carpeting

visibility while driving was better.

throttle seemed stiff hard to move.

didn't like tower set up compared to G3

very solid riding

Boat had NSS and the wave was ok but not great. The quick fill was awesome. It was easier to drive than my non surf gate boat.

You need to drive one to see how you like it. When the boys said that the didn't like the wake that pretty much made my mind up.

but it is a beautifully boat just not for me to upgrade to.

Hope it helps "Mileage may vary"

Edited by 747captain

I have spent some time in a few of my buddies nautiques. I can't remember the model of his ski boat, it was an 02 ski model and then he got a 12 crossover (i believe its a 226? but don't remember for sure). The only things I have seen that I would point out are that nautiques historically put the circuit breaker panel in the rear lockers. If you are into surfing and put bags back there, that presents a huge issue. I have always been very disappointed with nautique for making that design decision. You also have to ask yourself if reversible pumps are acceptable to you. Understand they draw more amperage, have less water througput (are slower at filling) and have impellers that wear out, but then again I have replaced at least 6 pirannha aerator pumps and those aren't cheap either so I feel that is a wash if not a slight advantage to reversible because there are less pumps to replace.

The g23 however does not have the circuit breaker panel in the rear lockers which made me happy and I have nothing but great things to say about that boat. If I had unlimited funds i'd buy one tomorrow. Other than that, I have been impressed with the boats. Get ready to make a huge adjustment to driving though. I struggled very much driving his boat. It's hard to explain but i'll try. On nautiques the distance you have to move the shift lever from dead center neutral to where the gear engages is much smaller than on malibus. In other words when I would hop in his boat, i always felt like i was "clunking it" into gear on him and felt like an a**. Try as I might I could not make the adjustment during his set. Obviously these are all minor observations, but you may find them useful.

The only boat, in Nautiques lineup, that I would consider a good crossover, is the sport 200. The 210, 211, 226, and 230 would be terrible for Slalom.

As far as quality goes........ You really can't beat a Nautique.

• Like 3

I've owned a succession of maibus and MC's, never a nautique, but I did have use of a SV 211 for a season while I was storing it for a mate. I have to say I was very impressed with the boat overall. As for doing nothing well, I found it was the opposite, did a bit of everything pretty well or certainly as a crossover exceeded my expectations and those that were in the group. As for fit, finish and functionality I would rate it ahead of the other two when speaking generally. Blasphemy on this site I know. No squeaking or creaking, no loose nuts and washers and everything worked. It was an 04 and really for it's age it was great with plenty of features. My impression of the "feel" was that it was solid and robust and I got the thought that this boat would be around for a long time. If it were me and if the boat met my needs at the time I would buy any of the big three. I would not hesitate just because it was a nautique. Bloody good boat IMO.

A cross over boat (no matter the brand) is a jack of all trades master of none.

I think Nautique's are very well made and if you want one you should get one.

You can't go wrong with Malibu, MC or Nautique.

:plus1:

The only boat, in Nautiques lineup, that I would consider a good crossover, is the sport 200. The 210, 211, 226, and 230 would be terrible for Slalom.

I'd say This is accurate ^^^.

I'll go cliff notes on this so folks dont melt into episodes. I had a 247 Malibu for 2yrs, it was a miserable nightmare from boat build quality, to dealers and to Malibu leadership. The only thing that was right was my original dealer Chessie and the boat performance when it wasnt broke down. 247 is amazing with what it can do. IMO the 247 is hands down the best surf wake and the best 23mph wake in the lineup, but thats my opinion.

Best choice for me to CC, I'm on my 2nd G23. Different mideset in Nautique and it permeates throughout the company and dealerships. No reports of refused service, hack jobs, ethics issues or any of that. A+ in every aspect. Its a Christian and faith based company, and those principles permeate all the way out thru the dealer network. CEO is fan and particpates in the sports, he has a 210 in his boathouse, he has a big famly...so he understands the passion. Cant speak for him but I think his decisions come from that perspectve vs just a business man running a company for millions. He has no parent investment company to answer to. On PlanteNautique we submit questions to the CEO, and he answers them. This last round I submitted 2 questions, and he answered both. Any customer can stop by and talk to CEO on factory tours any time.

I went on a Nautique factory tour in Aug when this G23 was being built, and got to see it being assembled on the line. I talked to the actual technician drilling my transom to install the NSS. He had worked there for 30+ years, his father retired from CC, and his father before him, 3 generations! I was blown away. My first G had 80 hours of slammed hard surfing with less than 5 cosmetic issues, worst of which were a 1" gel crack and some noise in the sound system. All covered immediately under warranty.

If you are not much interested in surfing, I would choose the 200 well ahead of the VTX. If surfing matters, say 30% or more, the VTX wins with surfgate and wedge hands down. No surf system on the 200. VTX SG surfwake is adequate by most reasonable folks.

226 has bee phased out. 210 and 230 are heavy wakeboats with NSS. they wont slollam ski well, but they will straight slam for surfing and at 23. I definitly prefer NSS over surfgate, no questions there whatsoever.

G21s are in limited production and will be at dealers within days. Initial rumors, 1 to be exact, are that the G21 beats the G23 and G25 in surfing, and nearly matches the G23 at 23mph. Still a very heavy boat, not good for skiing.

Good thing for you, you have an awesome A+ dealer there in Chessie, they sell both Malibu and Nautique, you cant go wrong with them.

Edited by nyryan2001
  • Like 2

226 and 211 can throw awesome wakes if you add 2k above stock ballast. the hulls are similar 230 to 226 and 210 to 211. but the Chines in the mid hull to back end are what mellow the cross overs out.

if you want info on the 2014 230, I'm your man!

IMG_20130921_160206980_zpsa01d9f5f.jpg

me and my buddy did over 10 hours of "product testing" on a weekend

Do they call it mellow yellow?

I'll go cliff notes on this so folks dont melt into episodes. I had a 247 Malibu for 2yrs, it was a miserable nightmare from boat build quality, to dealers and to Malibu leadership. The only thing that was right was my original dealer Chessie and the boat performance when it wasnt broke down. 247 is amazing with what it can do. IMO the 247 is hands down the best surf wake and the best 23mph wake in the lineup, but thats my opinion.

Best choice for me to CC, I'm on my 2nd G23. Different mideset in Nautique and it permeates throughout the company and dealerships. No reports of refused service, hack jobs, ethics issues or any of that. A+ in every aspect. Its a Christian and faith based company, and those principles permeate all the way out thru the dealer network. CEO is fan and particpates in the sports, he has a 210 in his boathouse, he has a big famly...so he understands the passion. Cant speak for him but I think his decisions come from that perspectve vs just a business man running a company for millions. He has no parent investment company to answer to. On PlanteNautique we submit questions to the CEO, and he answers them. This last round I submitted 2 questions, and he answered both. Any customer can stop by and talk to CEO on factory tours any time.

I went on a Nautique factory tour in Aug when this G23 was being built, and got to see it being assembled on the line. I talked to the actual technician drilling my transom to install the NSS. He had worked there for 30+ years, his father retired from CC, and his father before him, 3 generations! I was blown away. My first G had 80 hours of slammed hard surfing with less than 5 cosmetic issues, worst of which were a 1" gel crack and some noise in the sound system. All covered immediately under warranty.

If you are not much interested in surfing, I would choose the 200 well ahead of the VTX. If surfing matters, say 30% or more, the VTX wins with surfgate and wedge hands down. No surf system on the 200. VTX SG surfwake is adequate by most reasonable folks.

226 has bee phased out. 210 and 230 are heavy wakeboats with NSS. they wont slollam ski well, but they will straight slam for surfing and at 23. I definitly prefer NSS over surfgate, no questions there whatsoever.

G21s are in limited production and will be at dealers within days. Initial rumors, 1 to be exact, are that the G21 beats the G23 and G25 in surfing, and nearly matches the G23 at 23mph. Still a very heavy boat, not good for skiing.

Good thing for you, you have an awesome A+ dealer there in Chessie, they sell both Malibu and Nautique, you cant go wrong with them.

Yeah they have been very nice to deal with for sure. I know the 226 has been phased out but I am still interested in one as a leftover. I read a blog where the CEO of CC had a 226 in his stable in 2010 and he said it was the best boat for his family that they had up to that point. Maybe it was rubbish, but I would like to want to believe the guy if he put it out in a publication.

Edited by UofMVLX

Ryan, your love for nautique is what it is, but you're not accurate. "Different mindset in nautique"? You've had a jetboat, one Malibu, and just got your second G. You had issues with your boat which have been discussed here ad nauseum. Your issues and issues with dealers are indicative of nothing as to any "mindset" of Malibu or Nautique.

If Yeargin worked for the Meloons, your statement would be one thing, but he doesn't. The Meloons were bought out years ago by the founder of a steel corporation. Nautique is no less corporate than any other sizable manufacturer. In fact, its apparent you naive about Correct Craft's history and their own corporate issues that caused trouble in the past. Furthermore, its strange you would suggest by implication that Yeargin is some omnipresent guy at planet nautique when JEFF organized some questions to Yeargin, to MANY of which he gives PC answers, which is fine. But comparing some "cultural" difference in the companies based on the CEO of smaller correct craft being accessible has zero to do with anything anyone has asked in this thread and concluding that his accessibility is somehow indicative of anything is silly. Oh wonderful, the CEO of Correct Craft will answer my question about plans to release a G21 on planet nautique! Correct Craft is such an amazing company! You just enjoy tooting your own because you think you now have what you consider the best fit for you. Great, good for you.

You recommend sport 200 over VTX, for crossover purposes, why? Have you slalomed both? Have you driven both? Barefooted both? Do you even know what to look for? Do you know how slow the sport 200s are? Have you compared the space differences? Wakeboarded both? Or are you just throwing that out there because you're now a nautique owner who thinks everything nautique must be better all the way around because you got a bad boat?

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

We are thinking of buying a Nautique crossover boat for our other home that is on the water and I would like to know peoples real world experience with them. It will be a new boat, and I have always wanted one. I personally love the design but I would like to know about their new boat quality etc. Any valuable and honest experience would be great. Please no "buy another Malibu" posts. Malibu's are all I have ever owned, and I may like to try something different for the second boat.

I'm a former CC owner and they make a fine boat. However, I'd suggest you find a malibu as a crossover and use the CC for your primary. All family DD's from mlaibu outperform family DD's from CC. VTX also does "more" better than a sport 200 whereas a G or super air 230 would compete well with a lsv, the malibu crossover offerings are far superior.

Do you have a DD or Vd preference?