Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking of buying a Nautique

UofM_MXZ

Absolutely to each his own and if you like the boat, that's all that matters, but a 2 year old boat that hasn't sold and it;s the cheapest is the country, doesn't that sound like there's a reason that boat hasn't sold?

I don't agree with that, at all..... Unless you are talking about the X-14V, and even then, it is pretty good with a 6.2l in it. (For an all around "novice" boat). Nonetheless, why are we bringing MC into the mix??? Speaking of random trash talk.....

OP- My buddy had a 226, and it was a solid boat. However, he replaced it with a 230, and was much happier. The 230 was a much better machine for wakeboarding and surfing, and just a generally better layout for the type of boat you are looking for. I know that there was a lot of talk about slalom wake, earlier in the thread. But you haven't mentioned much about it in recent posts. Have you looked around for any leftover 230s?? I don't know if they differ a lot from a 226 pricewise..... Is that the main driver for the 226? As far as any slalom use.... I don't think a 226 is going to be any better than a 230. However the 230 would be much better at everything else IMO.

I was, the V...and since we were feretting out options for a vdrive crossover as OP hadn't said what model CC he was looking at, it seemed worth mentioning in light of other non-CC suggestions. Nice boat. Bad ski wakes. No room for ballast. Hardly trash talk. Honest opinion. Oh everyone gets those but me, sorry to offend.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I don't slalom. Period. We water ski recreationally and that's it. I thought about a 230. It's a nice ride.

What do you mean you don't slalom btu then say you ski recreationally? I don't understand. You mean you ski on 2 skis?

I don't slalom. Period. We water ski recreationally and that's it. I thought about a 230. It's a nice ride.

In that case...... I would really recommend looking around for a 230 at the same price (or close). I think you would be much happier. They are an excellent machine for surfing and wakeboarding.

My thought is because it isn't highly optioned. With that said. Throwing in a couple sets of rev 10's/amps/Bimini etc starts to make it pretty highly optioned.

Cool. Get it and have fun.

You wanna know why non malibu and former malibu owners come here or stick around after they sell their 'bu? Because hands down this is the best towboat forum on the interwebs. There's still plenty of non-malibu-specific information shared here... Probably more than anywhere else.

Me personally, I try to keep my lip zipped about my non 'bu brand unless asked directly. It's not the place. But my experience and Ryan's were vastly different too... I owned a used, out of warranty malibu purchased from a private party, while he owned a brand new one from the dealer. While his dealer/ownership experience seems to be an outlier, it is not without value to a potential buyer.

There is no denying that Malibu has has some QC issues. ANd having 2 Directors of Customer Service leave within about a 5 year period, specially with the latter more of beiing fired, than leaving on their own. I guess Malibu has hired a new one, but have not heard anything about who and their background.

NO production item/product has 100% satisfaction. But one of the bigger issues seems to be the dealers and those dealers refusing to perform warranty work on $80-100K boats. Specially when, for most, the boating season is not year round. Which I would think would PO most any new boat owner having plopped down $80-100k.

Edited by happypappy
  • Like 2

Sure. Had a barefoot nautique for many years, even bought it back and sold it again not long ago. Solid boat. It was a little older and I had to fight the old boat issues but that's what made it fun too. Nothing really from that experinece that has any bearing on this though.

In college our team had arrangement with Nautique. Had a ski nautique then sport, then super air. The ski has a nice ski wake obviously but the sport wasn't good at anything. We had to replace the gauges multiple times, ECM, and the floors all peeled up in one season. I didn't spend much time on the super air but my best friend had a super sport (same boat) for several seasons. Slalom wake was total garbage (not that it was intended to be a slalom boat). Vinyl got a C as some discolored early and had some stitching issues. Probably not out of the normal tho. Surfing was a PITA due to not much space for ballast and the interior was remarkably small for a 21 footer. He shopped 211s and 230s but wound up with a Malibu.

As for opinions, I'm still lost on what you're looking for. You say you're looking for a Vdrive crossover, right? Only thing that fits that bill from Cc is a sport 200. IF you wnated to look at dd options like the 206 and 216, I could give more opinions. However, if slalom will be what this "crossover" is for, again, I'd suggest you use the Malibu for that and get a new dedicated wake machine from CC. Whatever you do, don't get an x-14 if you're looking to slalom or foot.

I'm a former VTX owner. Was prolly the best boat I've ever had. Slalomed more than acceptable and the wakeboard/surf wakes were more than adequate. It never porpoised. Wish I still had it, that's for sure. For comparo, in addition to the VTX, I've owned multiple responses, multiple iterations of VLXs, sunscape, a 247 and an Axis.

What year VTX? and what hull?

Yeah I may. I am going to keep my option open on the 230 as well. My understanding is they are the same hull. Not positive

If you are talking Nautique 230.... That's a big heavy $100k wakeboat. Definitely a pro level wake at 23 mph, and a blast to surf on with NSS. I think It'd be terrible to ski behind. The screaming deals here are lightly used 2012s $83-95k.... You can retro fit NSS for 3k. You see them all over with 30-60hrs.

Given what you describe you'd be better off with the new 23lsv with Surfgate and a diamond hull. about the same price and a better ski wake. Arguably the best Surfgate wave in the lineup. I about broke my back behind a 23 in 2009 hitting 15-20ft airs, the 23 wake will be better than any of us can deal with unless you are pro.

If you wanna talk 23lsv vs 230... That'd be a whole 'nother discussion.... ESP with the new 23 for 2014.

My understanding is they are the same hull. Not positive

I wouldn't have guessed that, but I wouldn't know for sure. The wakes sure seemed a lot different to me..... The guys on PN would probably know for sure.

If you don't want to spend $100k (230, 23) What about a 2012 220? My neighbor has a 220 and it has a great surf wave, especially loaded up with extra ballast. His is an 08 with the titan tower but it is still a great ride.

I wouldn't have guessed that, but I wouldn't know for sure. The wakes sure seemed a lot different to me..... The guys on PN would probably know for sure.

I just saw someone with a 226 or 236 (forgot which) mention it on his CL ad. I am not sure how reliable that is haha

Given what you describe you'd be better off with the new 23lsv with Surfgate and a diamond hull. about the same price and a better ski wake.

He doesn't care about the ski wake though.... That was kind of why I was steering him in the direction of the 230.

Ryan- Do you know if the 226 and 230 hulls are the same??

If you don't want to spend $100k (230, 23) What about a 2012 220? My neighbor has a 220 and it has a great surf wave, especially loaded up with extra ballast. His is an 08 with the titan tower but it is still a great ride.

That is possible.

Yeah definitely. To me....there isn't a better looking boat in the water than a 226. But again that is just my opinion with the way it sits and the windshield......that said there are a lot of nice boats out there.

I would agree. I would plan to keep the boat for around 10 years most likely. This the reason for analog gauges....I think they never go out of style and are cheap to change if there is an issue.