Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking of buying a Nautique

UofM_MXZ

I enjoy Ryan's commentary. I am also a fan of Nautique. What would this place be like without a Nautique owner trying to debunk Malibu?

My Malibu VLX ownership has been an awesome experience! Feeling and looking like a rockstar comes free.

I enjoy Ryan's commentary. I am also a fan of Nautique. What would this place be like without a Nautique owner trying to debunk Malibu?

My Malibu VLX ownership has been an awesome experience! Feeling and looking like a rockstar comes free.

Plus the shoes. Don't forget the shoes.

• Like 2

To the OP, Nautique makes a fantastic boat. As you probably are aware, your dealer can make or break any brand, and it starts with them. I have owned two Malibu's (2011- 253 hours and 13 VLX- 125 hours) and they have been solid performers, a couple of small items, but overall I really cant complain and would not hesitate purchasing another. Ryan, you are definitely the minority in the Malibu ownership experience, we are all sorry you had such a terrible experience. It does wear on people here having you continuously give Malibu poor ratings. Its odd to me you still monitor this site so frequently, I would think Planet Nautique would be your home base, but you seem to venture here daily and a large majority of your posts do nothing but trash Malibu. I had issues with my first Inboard, I do not go over to there website and trash there brand, infact I rarely even visit it anymore, because I do not have any vested interested in the brand anymore.

You wanna know why non malibu and former malibu owners come here or stick around after they sell their 'bu? Because hands down this is the best towboat forum on the interwebs. There's still plenty of non-malibu-specific information shared here... Probably more than anywhere else.

Me personally, I try to keep my lip zipped about my non 'bu brand unless asked directly. It's not the place. But my experience and Ryan's were vastly different too... I owned a used, out of warranty malibu purchased from a private party, while he owned a brand new one from the dealer. While his dealer/ownership experience seems to be an outlier, it is not without value to a potential buyer.

• Like 2

No one knows the full story of nyryans Malibu experience because he chooses not to tell it. Trust me, the guy is a class act.

I know Ryan, he is definitely a class act. I would trust Ryan with my life without a second thought. It's unfortunate that his Malibu experience reflects poorly on Malibu, but that's Malibu's problem and shame on Malibu for dropping the ball.

But my experience and Ryan's were vastly different too... I owned a used, out of warranty malibu purchased from a private party, while he owned a brand new one from the dealer. While his dealer/ownership experience seems to be an outlier, it is not without value to a potential buyer.

Good. Great. All of this may be true. But that's not the point.

The point is: He was asked for a review of Nautique and as always.....for the 10,000th time...........he started it by blasting Malibu. He must have missed the fact the OP was already a Malibu owner, so he was already familiar with the Malibu Corporation?

And FWIW, the review of Nautique was of zero help to any customer with half a brain. A potential Nautique buyer could get that type of "A+, Christian based, 3rd generation, permeating, family oriented" mumbo-jumbo from any Nautique media release.

Oh, and a little tidbit that may be interesting: I had every bit as bad of an experience with the previous Malibu dealer in Portland.......... but I realize that's not even close to the norm. And I realize it has nothing to do with Malibu itself. And I realize rehashing the experience isn't pertinent in any & every thread I can shoehorn it into. But that's just me :crazy:

• Like 2

The best companies encourage unhappy customers to speak up and fix the problems that lie therein.

So far in my Malibu experience I have been super happy with the dealer, super happy with the boat and about neutral with Malibu the company.

If someone is asking about a nautique wouldn't that person want to hear from someone that owns a nautique? Seems logical to me.

Instead of asking Ryan to be quiet, you guys should say thanks for sharing your experience. Mine however was different....

In case you missed it, this thread was for reviews of Nautique............NOT for disgruntled Malibu owners to voice their displeasure with SG tabs, customer service or their dealer network.

This thread has pretty much hit an epic failure. Unless someone has a review on a Nautique that they actually owned. Please refrain from posting. Otherwise, it just doesn't give any real value to the original question.

• Like 2

This thread has pretty much hit an epic failure. Unless someone has a review on a Nautique that they actually owned. Please refrain from posting. Otherwise, it just doesn't give any real value to the original question.

LOL, you must see by now that asking about another brand is a limitation of this forum. Have you tried planetnautique or wakeworld?

I didn't trash Malibu, they earned my review.

They trashed my bank account by taking my money and failing to deliver.

Sorry that hurts your ears. OP asked about Nautique as a company, he got my experience. It took a Nautique owner on a Malibu forum to let OP be aware of a know documented design flaw. Ya you and 85 give great advice.

Cheers.

Actually he didn't ask about "Nautique as a company" at all, you thought he wanted a lesson on that however, and I'm sure he's grateful.

Trashed your bank account? funny, I seem to recall you being quite happy with your boats residual value.

I actually recommended he get a G, maybe you missed that part. Since that's what you have, I figured you'd think that was good advice, but instead I get a sarcastic knock. The irony.

Sure. Had a barefoot nautique for many years, even bought it back and sold it again not long ago. Solid boat. It was a little older and I had to fight the old boat issues but that's what made it fun too. Nothing really from that experinece that has any bearing on this though.

In college our team had arrangement with Nautique. Had a ski nautique then sport, then super air. The ski has a nice ski wake obviously but the sport wasn't good at anything. We had to replace the gauges multiple times, ECM, and the floors all peeled up in one season. I didn't spend much time on the super air but my best friend had a super sport (same boat) for several seasons. Slalom wake was total garbage (not that it was intended to be a slalom boat). Vinyl got a C as some discolored early and had some stitching issues. Probably not out of the normal tho. Surfing was a PITA due to not much space for ballast and the interior was remarkably small for a 21 footer. He shopped 211s and 230s but wound up with a Malibu.

As for opinions, I'm still lost on what you're looking for. You say you're looking for a Vdrive crossover, right? Only thing that fits that bill from Cc is a sport 200. IF you wnated to look at dd options like the 206 and 216, I could give more opinions. However, if slalom will be what this "crossover" is for, again, I'd suggest you use the Malibu for that and get a new dedicated wake machine from CC. Whatever you do, don't get an x-14 if you're looking to slalom or foot.

I'm a former VTX owner. Was prolly the best boat I've ever had. Slalomed more than acceptable and the wakeboard/surf wakes were more than adequate. It never porpoised. Wish I still had it, that's for sure. For comparo, in addition to the VTX, I've owned multiple responses, multiple iterations of VLXs, sunscape, a 247 and an Axis.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Kind of like the look of that Mastercraft x-14

You wouldn't from the end of the rope. My neighbor had one and it wouldn't go 38 with a footer and the slalom wake was a curb. More importantly, no room for ballast.

I am just looking for a boat we can have fun on. That's all. We are most likely going to buy a 226. I like the design and it will work for what we will use it for.

That can certainly be acocmplished by MANY options. But, 226 sounds cool. What is it that it will be used for, I still don't see a usage breakdown?

You're aware of the surfing and skiing limitations of a 226, right? What era are we talking? Again, I'm not trying to steer you to Malibu, I think you've already got a better crossover. If you want a big correct craft, I'd suggest 230. Yes, I realize the 226 is similar to 230 but the walkthrough is on the 236 is it not?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

This might have already been suggested but how about get the new g21 or a g23 and keep the vlx as your crossover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be used for tubing, cruising, some surfing (novice), novice wake boarding. I understand the boat isn't a wake machine, but really what is exactly what we want. We want something to where our family comes out people aren't intimidated with the wake and they can learn and have fun.

It will be used for tubing, cruising, some surfing (novice), novice wake boarding. I understand the boat isn't a wake machine, but really what is exactly what we want. We want something to where our family comes out people aren't intimidated with the wake and they can learn and have fun.

You cna do all that well for sure except for regular footed surfing. There's nowhere to put ballast and in the 236s I'm 70% sure the factory ballast is above floor tanks, but even if not, there's no room for any weight, although it has been a few years since I crawled thorugh a 226.

Yes. The msrp is 100k. Without trailer. I can get it for about 68 with trailer. It has analog gauges which I want. That is the o ly reason it hasn't sold. Everyone wants the latest and greatest I guess. It is the cheapest one I have been able to find across the country.

You wouldn't from the end of the rope. My neighbor had one and it wouldn't go 38 with a footer and the slalom wake was a curb.

I don't agree with that, at all..... Unless you are talking about the X-14V, and even then, it is pretty good with a 6.2l in it. (For an all around "novice" boat). Nonetheless, why are we bringing MC into the mix??? Speaking of random trash talk.....

OP- My buddy had a 226, and it was a solid boat. However, he replaced it with a 230, and was much happier. The 230 was a much better machine for wakeboarding and surfing, and just a generally better layout for the type of boat you are looking for. I know that there was a lot of talk about slalom wake, earlier in the thread. But you haven't mentioned much about it in recent posts. Have you looked around for any leftover 230s?? I don't know if they differ a lot from a 226 pricewise..... Is that the main driver for the 226? As far as any slalom use.... I don't think a 226 is going to be any better than a 230. However the 230 would be much better at everything else IMO.