Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best deep cycle battery

CJAY

interstates came new in the boat. just finished 5th season with them. just starting to show signs of not holding a charge, so i will probably replace for 2014. Been very pleased with them.

I run two Deka 34M batteries. They performed well this year and hard to beat for the price.

These are AGM instead of flooded batteries, so I didn't run a battery box, allowing me to put the batteries under the observer seat. Best place for them IMO as getting to that storage is usually a pain and doesn't take up valuable space in the observer compartment.

photoapr12170431.jpg

As a former bass boat owner, the batteries are more important than just about anything else on the boat. FWIW -

This comes from Mercury Marine's R&D Department. The batteries listed are ALL AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) batteries, and were required to have a rating of at least 1000 MCA, 800 CCA, 180ah, or meet the 135-RC 25 Capacity Rating. Batteries were tested to ensure that they "met" their advertised capacities also.

(Testing and information courtesy of Mercury Marine Research & Development)

-Odyssey PC1500, PC1700, PC2150 and PC2250.
-Optima Group 31
-West Marine Sea Volt Group 31 AGM
-Trolling Thunder TT1175 and TT1370.
-Excide Megacycle (Mercury Brand) MC-31 and XMC-31.
-Sears Die Hard Platinum 34M (PM-2) and 31M (PM-1).
-Deka Sea Mate/Intimidator 8A31DTM.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking into this and found that it boils down to the highest RC (Reserve Capacity) assuming you want to run with the engine off.

Second, you have to decide between AGM and Deep Cell (Wet). AGM is spill proof, maintenance free and expels less gasses. Deep Cell (DC) expels Hydrogen gas so the area needs to be well vented and the batteries need to be refilled. The DC batteries are a lot less $$ and the also have higher RC specs for the same size battery. As a result, most people use DC. Note that DC batteries need to be installed in a specific orientation: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/flooded_battery_orientation. This shows a sailboat, but we tip more bow to stern so the same rules apply, just opposite.

For DC batteries the best bang for your buck is the Wallmart Everstart Maxx-29DC for $100 or the Everstart 29DC for $90. The Maxx-29DC has 114AH @ 65 cycles and the 29DC has 122AH @ 65 cycles. There is no good conversion between AH and RC because the time changes with current draw (most vendors spec AH at 20 hours). The rough estimate is that the Maxx-29DC has 196RC and the 29DC has 212RC but these are not exact. The next is the Interstate SRM-29 for $120 with a 210 RC. Note that Johnson Controls makes the Everstart and Interstate batteries so they are "most likely" identical batteries just different packaging. The best batter RC in this size group is the Trojan SCS225 for $200 with a 225 RC. Note that you can buy two of the Max229's for a combined 424 RC for less than the Trojan battery @ 225 RC so it doesn't make sense to buy it unless space is an issue. The Trojan battery most likely also supports more charge/discharge cycles.

You have to decide if AGM or Deep Cell is the best for your usage.

Edited by PDXVLX

I've always ran 2-6V batteries for the stereo and a AGM for starting. I've always been very happy with the power of the 6V batteries, however I need to dig into my new boat to see if I have the space.

I dont think i will ever buy another Optima, i've had to many of them fail over the past few years. The shop I primarily deal with has also echoed my concern and said they stopped recommending them as they get so many returns.

So you guys running 6v batteries..... how are you charging them?

I just have a pair of flooded DieHards, which are made by Johnson controls. One deep cycle, one starter. Their about 4 yrs old now & have never failed me. I took a gamble when I bought them & also installed a Guest 10 amp dual bank on-board charger too. The batteries live on that charger any time the boat is in storage or the driveway. It exercises them & keeps them charged. The stock alternator in the boat keeps them charged about 3 or 4 months out of the year when the boat is stored on the lake.

I'm hoping the use of the charger will keep them in good shape for a few years & get me my moneys worth.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Two wired in series is 12v so by using the positive terminal on one and the negative terminal on the other.

Yea, I get that. But every guy I know who runs 6 volt batteries uses some really high end, expensive charger to keep them charged up. Many are not being charged by the boat's system or won't charge them fully.

The problem with dual 6V batteries in series is the RC doesn't double like it does with dual 12V batteries in parallel. Dual 12V batteries have a RC of 420 and I couldn't find any 6V battery that can come close to that number. So if you have two batteries, dual 12V has a higher RC.

Yea, I get that. But every guy I know who runs 6 volt batteries uses some really high end, expensive charger to keep them charged up. Many are not being charged by the boat's system or won't charge them fully.

Once a pair of 6V GC's are wired together in series, they become one 12V battery. So you would choose the proper charger for them, same as you would any other shore charger.

The alternators ability or lack there of, to recharge a house battery bank, will hing more on the size of the bank in terms of total amp hours and not the type or actual number of batteries and how deeply that bank is discharged while at anchor. The larger the bank gets, the more you would need to depend on shore charging and less on the alternator. Alternators make for poor battery chargers, and will struggle to recharge a depleted battery, regardless of type and Ah. A larger bank just compounds the problem.

Saves on replacing your alternator. There is no way for it to keep up with the demands of a large system no matter what battery you are using. In the end breaking the bank off the boats electrical system and relying on shore power can be the best solution to circumvent charging issues. A 6v battery is best suited for the charge/discharge cycles the system will endure.

Saves on replacing your alternator. There is no way for it to keep up with the demands of a large system no matter what battery you are using. In the end breaking the bank off the boats electrical system and relying on shore power can be the best solution to circumvent charging issues. A 6v battery is best suited for the charge/discharge cycles the system will endure.

Once a pair of 6V GC's are wired together in series, they become one 12V battery. So you would choose the proper charger for them, same as you would any other shore charger.

The alternators ability or lack there of, to recharge a house battery bank, will hing more on the size of the bank in terms of total amp hours and not the type or actual number of batteries and how deeply that bank is discharged while at anchor. The larger the bank gets, the more you would need to depend on shore charging and less on the alternator. Alternators make for poor battery chargers, and will struggle to recharge a depleted battery, regardless of type and Ah. A larger bank just compounds the problem.

I think you guys are missing the point. A lot of these boats don't have access to shore power. The alternator has to do the job for weeks or months on end. The only time the boat sees AC for the on-board charger (in my case) is winter, or maybe a few times during the season if I'm out of town.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky