Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

At what Temps do you really start to consider Winterization.....

Depends: is the boat in storage, in your garage, is the garage insulated?

ANd since the engine block is such a huge mass, Michigan is right, the heater will freeze and possible crack way before the block does.

When temps start to hit the 30s, I drain everything. It's not the engine I'm most concerned about, but the heater core & shower valves. They are much more susceptible to breaking when the water temps dip into the low 30s & upper 20s. Draining everything takes a few minutes & is too easy to not do it........ much easier than replacing a heater core for sure.

No heater or shower. Sitting in my driveway with the cover on. I will put in my friends barn which is a metal structure. I will also buy a trouble light with a 75 watt bulb.

I think I could get a couple of more sessions, but not at the expense of damage.

Can we come to an agreement on what temp??

Edited by Afun

No heater or shower. Sitting in my driveway with the cover on. I will put in my friends barn which is a metal structure. I will also buy a trouble light with a 75 watt bulb.

I'd say it's gotta be under 25 degrees for 24hours. If it's 45 outside, then drops to 25 from 11pm to 6am, I bet your then barn would still be at over 40, and the block would be closer to 45 or whatever the temperature has been for the last few days. Put a light in there like you say, and you are over that much safer.

Then again...your boat is not cheap. I'm going thru an engine overhaul/swap right now from an overheat problem. It only takes minutes to drain a block, and it takes thousands to replace an engine. I sure as heck don't ever want to do this again.

• Like 2

I would worry less about the possibility of your engine freezing in Knox-vegas this weekend and more about a fire from the "innocent" light bulb. Check out Extreme heaters website for the possible ramifications of a simple light bulb.

http://www.xtremeheaters.com/horrorstories

My boat is sitting on a lift on Ft. Loudon this weekend and I'm not planning on doing anything. I doubt the valley is going to get the upper 20's temps they're calling for. If you're worried, drain your block. It takes 15 minutes.

• Like 1

Besides the bulb possibly causing a fire, they tend to burn out at the worst time.

If you don't have any accessories, draining the engine is really easy. If it takes you 15 minutes, set the six pack down for 10 of it, get'er done & sleep better at night!

• Like 2

I would worry less about the possibility of your engine freezing in Knox-vegas this weekend and more about a fire from the "innocent" light bulb. Check out Extreme heaters website for the possible ramifications of a simple light bulb.

http://www.xtremeheaters.com/horrorstories

My boat is sitting on a lift on Ft. Loudon this weekend and I'm not planning on doing anything. I doubt the valley is going to get the upper 20's temps they're calling for. If you're worried, drain your block. It takes 15 minutes.

You are making me feel a little better. Do you think we are going to get warm weather again, or is this it? This cold snap came over night.

You are making me feel a little better. Do you think we are going to get warm weather again, or is this it? This cold snap came over night.

My Magic 8 Ball says "don't give up yet." We have at least 1 excellent skiing/boarding weekend ahead. My last day last season was Nov 10th. Excellent conditions, warm, sunny, flat, no wind, no other boats.

Yeah seriously afun you have one of the world's easier to winterize motors. Just drain it. It will probably take longer than 15 your first time, but it's a great way to get some one on one time with the boat.

Yeah seriously afun you have one of the world's easier to winterize motors. Just drain it. It will probably take longer than 15 your first time, but it's a great way to get some one on one time with the boat.

I have no idea how to do it. I am going to pull the boat into some shelter tonight.

Anyone have a video for future reference...maybe youtube

I have no idea how to do it. I am going to pull the boat into some shelter tonight.

Anyone have a video for future reference...maybe youtube

Tonight and tomorrow definitely won't be a problem. They're not calling for sub-freezing until Friday night. If you're in West Knoxville I can come by tonight or tomorrow night and show you how to do it.

have you heard the phrase RTFM?

Chapter 7 of the Indmar manual has instructions and pictures (though I'd skip the "remove the impeller" part for a freeze protection issue).

1. unscrew the crossover hose and drain the manifolds

2. remove raw water hose from lower side of tranny cooler (it's the beercan looking thing)

3. Remove raw water hose from vdrive to let it drain (this may also require removal of plugs if the vdrive raw water inputs are "high"... see the pics in the manual)

4. Remove knock sensors and engine drain plugs.

Now you are drained. Button it all back up and you should be good to go.

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if you all caught it or no in the video that oceanbu posted. Check out the bilge floor at the 4:20 mark. Notice the bolt, nut and carpet cap laying on the floor? I've had my boat for three years now and I'm still finding pieces in the bilge.