Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Me Get My Dumb Boat Running - Could Be a Prize

I"m thinkin' he has to put that old avatar up. Both girls are cute, dont get me wrong !

Steve B.

quick edit: who is the new girl anyway ?

Edited by Steve B.

She's the dragon woman, Daenerys Targaryen, on Game of Thrones. I thought she was a bit freaky looking at first but then came to appreciate her finer qualities especially after the first couple of episodes of GoT ;-)

Now if we could get Shania to perform like that for us viewers...sorry, I'm a bit twisted.

Another shot of her...

post-21670-0-20683100-1398854525_thumb.j

Edited by jgates237
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK! The answer is in and you will NOT believe what it was.

To re-cap:

It was running but started harder and harder the last couple of times out last year, then wouldn't start at all.

It would crank just fine but not even an inkling of firing.

Had spark, sort of, had fuel, had air.

All fuses and breakers good.

New cap, rotor, ingnition module, coil, both fuel filters, oil filter.

Tried gas down the Throttle body.

Tried starter fluid.

Came close to replacing the distributor assembly.

Tried lots of other trouble shooting stuff from a lot of TMC folks. Thanks a bunch for the help!! Much appreciated.

Finally gave up and took it to No-Wake Marine. Good folks and they fixed it in the time frame they said they would.

Total cost for trouble shooting labor and parts was only ~$150.

Guess what it was.

And I won't drag this out too long, but when I heard what the culprit was I was speachless. I never thought what was actually wrong would have caused a complete lack of firing on any cylinder.

awwww, come on; you're killing me.

i've wanted that boat back on the water more than you have!

cough it up.

crank position sensor?

Nope. Simpler. And I really hesitated to put the answer here for the abuse I will take, but again, never in a bunch of years would I have thought that what was wrong would hve been the cause.

The suspense is killing me....

And since we've actually been trying to help for over seven months now, it's not like we're ready to call Uncle like you did.... What the heck was it already?

Frickin' SPARK PLUGS!

Not in a million years would I have thought that to be the cause, but the guys at No-Wake checked all the things we did and as a last resort changed the plugs and viola! Engine roars to life.

I checked spark a couple of different ways and it had spark sometimes but not always, but of course since I was always by myself it was impossible to check all of them using the lay the plug on the block method. I bought one of those fancy schmancy official spark checkers that plugs in between the wire and the plug and I was seeing spark, but apparently it was not getting to the electrodes. I still find it hard to believe that one or two plugs wouldn't try to fire but there was no indication of anything firing. The service guy said they were dirty to the point of not grounding.

Where I boat I have to idle out and in through a medium long no wake zone, but the engine gets hammered hard enough during skiing. Go figure.

They were that bad and it wasn't obvious on the plugs that you pulled out? Weird.

Thye were a little corbony but not that bad. As I stated, I have to end each day with a cruise through no wake but it doesn't feel like it is that long to carbon those babies up to the point of not firing at all.

Wow. Gotta change your username to "Badplug."

OK here we go. I'm just glad you were the first abuser JG. I feel so much better about myself now. Don't let the slit wrists bother you at all.