Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone have pics of the Axis T22?

Jdubb16

No, "need" is not relative in this discussion. I agree there can be legitimate reasons for using a long term loan, but if after expenses each month you have x left over and x represents the monthly payment in a 15 year boat loan, there's not a financial advisor on the planet who would say you can afford it.

You're making assumptions. I agree if after you pay your bills you shell out all your money on a boat payment you can't afford it, but I doubt many of us are in that situation.

Again, do as you see fit. My 15 year loan is what it is. However my no mortgage 700k house in Hawaii in the hottest market that never collapses is a lot more of an important decision make because when I rent it out, I pay my boat off. The interest on my loan on the boat over 15 years is far less than that on the mortgage.

ahopkins22LSV

Nope, but you do need it until you go!

Personally, I think we have become a society of people who think because we qualify for a loan we can afford something. That is not the definition.

I 100% agree with you. BUT, we sat down and thought our situation through for a long time, months and in the end the sacrifice it is worth it to us. Sure we could not have some of the loans we have, but we would also be sitting inside like hermits. Just not how we are choosing to live our lives.

And just as a disclaimer, Our boat is our only luxury item. We live in a modest house and drive modest cars. But like I said, boating, water and skiing is our passion/love so we spent the money.

• Like 2

So does this mean financing a G for 20 yrs is irresponsible?

Man, had I only known this before hand. Guess I am screwed now.

Sucks to be you, you irresponsible bastard. Now you'll have to work at taco bell to afford it.

Most people aren't going to keep it for 15 years, and depending on what you do with that money you could actually make money investing what you're saving on the payment. It's all perspective. People do things different ways for different reasons. I just think it's ignorant to assume someone can't afford something because they choose to do it differently. I have a 15 year loan on my current boat and have paid off a quarter of what I owe in 4 years. The payment is so small that we don't even notice it, and it is automatically taken from a separate account each month. I'm trading in my boat on a new boat, and will have a 15 year loan on that boat and plan on keeping it 5-7 years.

With the deal I'm getting and the amount I'm putting down I will more than likely never be underwater in that time period and will have another 15-20% to put down on the next one. I see the cost of my boat payment as something investment in entertainment and not an fiscal investment. My return is the enjoyment I get and the memories my family and I have form owning a boat. The payment does not cause me to struggle financially, and I don't expect to make money on it. I can afford the boat I am purchasing.

That's great. No one is being critical of how you spend money. In fact, you're making the point. You don't "need" to use a 15 year loan. Others do, which is who nitrous was talking about. If you have your own reasons, great. But I dno't think you were who who nitrous was even talking about. He didn't say anyone who uses a 15 year loan, he said anyone who "NEEDS" to.

ahopkins22LSV

So, what was this new Axis called again??????

T$$????

I am exciting for my dealer to get one in to go look at it in person. Especially because we have all said it before. Most pictures of boats do no justice for the actual boat, for better or worse cases.

That's great. No one is being critical of how you spend money. In fact, you're making the point. You don't "need" to use a 15 year loan. Others do, which is who nitrous was talking about. If you have your own reasons, great. But I dno't think you were who who nitrous was even talking about. He didn't say anyone who uses a 15 year loan, he said anyone who "NEEDS" to.

Once again I fall back on need being relative. Can I buy a boat in cash no, I need a loan. Can I pay $1500 a month on a boat, yes but that kind of payment would be ridiculous( even more so than say a $700 loan) for a toy I use half the year. In my mind I need a 15 year loan to make a boat make sense.

You're making assumptions. I agree if after you pay your bills you shell out all your money on a boat payment you can't afford it, but I doubt many of us are in that situation.

And if you don't think many are in that situation, then what is your problem with what nitrous said?!

Does 85 stand for the percent of the time you are obnoxious?!

Geez man! Let people spent their money how they want. What do you care?!

I don't care. Not one person has ever been told by me how to spend money and I've said multiple times now people can do whatever they want.

I am however explaining that what NITROUS said is in fact ACCURATE. People have taken what nitrous said and turned it into him saying anyone using a 15 year loan is cannot afford it, which is NOT what he said, he said if you NEED to use a 15 year loan, you can't afford it. How do you folks not see the distinction?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Once again I fall back on need being relative. Can I buy a boat in cash no, I need a loan. Can I pay $1500 a month on a boat, yes but that kind of payment would be ridiculous( even more so than say a $700 loan) for a toy I use half the year. In my mind I need a 15 year loan to make a boat make sense.

And who has said there is anything wrong with that? Not me. Not nitrous.

If there's a new boat most mere mortals could afford to pay cash for, this one is it.

I like it, and had it been available in 2011 when we moved out of the vride, I'd wager a dollar that I'd be in one.

That said, I think I've grown accustomed to something bigger. A T23-24 would be really interesting.....

It's hard to avoid the discussion of cost and considering the Axis line a " Value " boat. They are doing the brand a disservice. It's less expensive, but I see no value in that. Sell it for 50k, now that's Value. Do you catch my drift?

CJAY hit all my points! A 15 year loan will not put upside down with a reasonable down payment.

Could you imagine what would have happened to Malibu if we all thought like Nitrous....We will all still be buying a square window skier!

Edited by Afun

It's hard to avoid the discussion of cost and considering the Axis line a " Value " boat. They are doing the brand a disservice. It's less expensive, but I see no value in that. Sell it for 50k, now that's Value. Do you catch my drift?

CJAY hit all my points! A 15 year loan will not put upside down with a reasonable down payment.

Could you imagine what would have happened to Malibu if we all thought like Nitrous....We will all still be buying a square window skier!

No.

If you buy the right boats, at the right price, with the right options.... you can buy them with ZERO down 15-20yr loan...use them for 1-2yrs and pretty much break even.

• Like 3

If you buy the right boats, at the right price, with the right options.... you can buy them with ZERO down 15-20yr loan...use them for 1-2yrs and pretty much break even.

That's the same thing my neighbors were saying in 2004 when they were cashing out the equity in their houses to buy more.

As my investment advisor is wont to say... past performance is not a guaranty of future results. My grandfather went his whole life without wearing a seatbelt.

This approach grossly understates the economic risk to the buyer. For instance, how much is a gas guzzling toy worth if gas were $6-7 a gallon?

• Like 1