Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Ndawg12

Ballasted 247 setup with surfgate

Ndawg12

I would like to hear ballast setups for a 247 with surfgate. Pics good, video even better. (Nategate v6.% is installed and rock solid for r&d, thanks blackblumalibu for the dimensions)

BlackBluMalibu

Big boat needs big ballast... 1100 in each rear locker, 1000-1200 bow sac and stock full. Now you can add more if you want, but that should be a good start! Have fun!

TrickyNicky

And vice versa Nate, we want pics and vids too!

Ndawg12

I warned you, it ain't pretty...but it's rock solid and should be a good basis for my testing.

IMG_0920_zps1aa3bce2.jpg

IMG_0919_zps0a310948.jpg

IMG_0918_zpsb494e975.jpg

IMG_0921_zpsbd0c9d8b.jpg

TrickyNicky

^^^^ :rofl: It's priceless!!!! This type of hill-billy engineering is awesome! Whatever works, why over-complicate it to make your prototype look pretty. Awesome stuff Nate. :thumbup: Your last single thumb tack screw SG on the vride was a big inspiration to do mine. Confirmed for me that I wasn't going to pull out the back of the transom if that single screw could hang on!

Let us know how the results turn out and remember to pin a board on the other side just to get an idea of the closed gate effect.

Cap305

Thumbs up for the Nate Gate and TWO thumbs up for the Michigan Football in the last pic. Go Blue!

Ndawg12

^^^^ :rofl: It's priceless!!!! This type of hill-billy engineering is awesome! Whatever works, why over-complicate it to make your prototype look pretty. Awesome stuff Nate. :thumbup: Your last single thumb tack screw SG on the vride was a big inspiration to do mine. Confirmed for me that I wasn't going to pull out the back of the transom if that single screw could hang on!

Let us know how the results turn out and remember to pin a board on the other side just to get an idea of the closed gate effect.

Yup, I'll do it, thanks.

Thumbs up for the Nate Gate and TWO thumbs up for the Michigan Football in the last pic. Go Blue!

:biggrin: Subtle product placement. The last 2 wins have me worried about the approaching B10 season, 2 wins and we've fallen 7 spots :crazy:

jwl019

What is the angle that the gate is open to? Mine is around 19-20 degrees but that looks like more.

BlackBluMalibu

Doesn't need to be pretty, just functional... Only thing I see is the angle of the top of the gate should run parallel to the swim deck. Yours tends to drop from back of boat to the trailing edge of the gate. This may allow too much water over the top of the gate and may somewhat spoil the wave. Hope not, but if it does re-do the gate so the top of it is more parallel to the swim deck. Other than that it looks great.

Ndawg12

Doesn't need to be pretty, just functional... Only thing I see is the angle of the top of the gate should run parallel to the swim deck. Yours tends to drop from back of boat to the trailing edge of the gate. This may allow too much water over the top of the gate and may somewhat spoil the wave. Hope not, but if it does re-do the gate so the top of it is more parallel to the swim deck. Other than that it looks great.

I used the exact dimensions you gave me. The only things that may differ is the angle at which the "hinge side" runs down the transom and the angle with respect to the side of the boat which I currently have at 33 degrees (an eye-balled guestimate and can easily be adjusted if you all think it's off).

Malibu-Surf-Gate-Deployed.jpeg

SurfGate1.jpg

jwl019

I used the exact dimensions you gave me. The only things that may differ is the angle at which the "hinge side" runs down the transom and the angle with respect to the side of the boat which I currently have at 33 degrees (an eye-balled guestimate and can easily be adjusted if you all think it's off).

Malibu-Surf-Gate-Deployed.jpeg

SurfGate1.jpg

The second picture is the best pic I have seen for comparison purposes, looks like I need to push my temporary gate out some more. I guess the more it goes out, the more straigtht behind the boat the surf wave gets, mine still has some "V" shape to it more than riding a straight inline with center of the boat style wave.

Ndawg12

The second picture is the best pic I have seen for comparison purposes, looks like I need to push my temporary gate out some more. I guess the more it goes out, the more straigtht behind the boat the surf wave gets, mine still has some "V" shape to it more than riding a straight inline with center of the boat style wave.

You might be a little short and I might be a little to much on that angle. I actually posted those pics to show that as the gates extend, the trailing edge does go below the platform edge.

BlackBluMalibu

Dimensions look spot on! I may be seeing illusions here (my wife accuses me of this all the time) not being able to see in person. Worst case scenario is you nay have to adjust the front to back angle slightly more parallel to the swim deck, but maybe not! It wasn't meant to be a negative comment, only informational if your wake gets washed out a little by flow of water over the top of the gate.

Ndawg12

Dimensions look spot on! I may be seeing illusions here (my wife accuses me of this all the time) not being able to see in person. Worst case scenario is you nay have to adjust the front to back angle slightly more parallel to the swim deck, but maybe not! It wasn't meant to be a negative comment, only informational if your wake gets washed out a little by flow of water over the top of the gate.

Nothing negative taken, no worries. Matter of fact the top of the gate is gapped a little farther from the transom than the bottom. So that would bring the trailing edge up a bit and look closer to oe. I might make a few tweaks before I head out on Sunday, I'll be on the lookout for the potential issues mentioned.

NCVride

Hey man,

How did the prototype work out for you?

Ndawg12

You had to bring it up didn't yuh.... I was gonna try to fly under the radar this week and try it again next weekend. Or I could lie and make up an excuse why we didn't make it out. Or I could swallow my pride like I've done so many times on here and make fun of myself and my "rock solid design" and admit it was an epic fail and I'm back to the drawing board....

post-8316-0-73502000-1380558033_thumb.jp

WakeGirl

Oh no! How bad is the transom? Or should I even ask?

skyskier

It looks like all of the pressure is transferred to the weak end of the platform frame. I just noticed this thread and was going to mention it, but I see it might be too late.

Ndawg12

No damage, it went straight back into the water. Plus I had 200mph tape covering the whole area and we were only going 9.

shawndoggy

191 mph to spare!

skyskier

I didn't notice the tape. Never mind.

WakeGirl

No damage, it went straight back into the water. Plus I had 200mph tape covering the whole area and we were only going 9.

So just wounded pride then? ;)

Ndawg12

So just wounded pride then? ;)

My pride got fatally wounded a long time ago :lol:

martinarcher

No worries....Nate Gate will ride again. :)

grumpybrewingco

doesn't anyone make an aftermarket kit ?? looks simple enough.