Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gouge in gelcoat

corpusmalibuguy

Just curious if anyone knows of any products that can fill in a gouge in my gelcoat. I scratched it on my roller putting it on the trailer the other week, and while it is very small and not too noticeable, it drives me insane. I was thinking there might be some epoxy or something that could be color matched. Anyway, let me know what you all think.

Why not just repair with gelcoat... It's not too bad and someone else here should be able to tell you who to contact to get color matched gel from Malibu. They should be able to match the color from your hull #.

You just mix in hardener, apply to fill small gouge, seal out all air with plastic cover (I've used one of those report covers) and wait a few hours. After it's hardened, you sand with 600 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit and finally rubbing compound. You'll never be able to tell it was there.

I've done this repair on both my Sea-Doo and a friend's boat for small gouges.

Why not just repair with gelcoat...

You just mix in hardener, apply to fill small gouge, seal out all air with plastic cover (I've used one of those report covers) and wait a few hours. After it's hardened, you sand with 600 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit and finally rubbing compound. You'll never be able to tell it was there.

I've done this repair on both my Sea-Doo and a friend's boat for small gouges.

Weinrdog is spot on with the repair technique. I did a small gelcoat repair on my old bu ('92 Mystere). The hardest part is matching the color... Which I goofed on Crazy.gif .

I have SherFabs phone number at work. they are the OE supplier of gelcoat to Malibu. I will post the number tomorrow. The stuff is easy to work with, sands like butter, buffs out great. As stated, color match is tough. Even when they supply you with the correct color based on your hull #, it can be off a shade. They told me to "smear it in the gouge" & put masking tape over it till dry & then sand off the high spots. Here is a real good link for directions, straight from "the source" http://aquaskier.com/articles/gel_coat_repair.htm

SherFab's # is 1-877-921-5206. Their web site is http://www.sherfab.com/. They also have haow to tips on their site, and they have given me good tips verbally over the phone.

Edited by Hman442

Check out Spectrum color for the gelcoat. They have color matched gelcoat for all years Malibus. There are plenty of tips on how to repair on this site if you do a search. I have repaired gelcoat gouges and they turn out great. I have used wet sanding and buffing with a cutting compound followed by a polish (3M products).

How deep is the gouge? You might try wet sanding and buffing it first before you try a filler. Depending on the depth of the scar you'd probably make it 1000 times better by just sanding and waxing. Which ever method you decide to do, remember to keep the sandpaper wet at all times and go slow. Good luck.

Forgot to include the final step. Waxing!!

Also the sanding should be done wet. A spray bottle with water or water and a little soap works great. Be careful with the 600 grit, it will take down any excess gelcoat gelcoat pretty quickly.