Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hands down the best wave! Details and vid inside

Alty

I think there is tradeoff between PNP ballast and wedge angle deployment. I've found that the more ballast I fill into the rear PNP sacs, the less wedge I can use. Lately, I've been filling my 750 lbs sacs about half to 2/3 full and using a little more wedge with good results. I basicaly have started using the swim platform as my measuring stick for how much to fill my sacs. When the swim platform is under water about 1/2 inch--I stop filling. I started out the summer filling my sacs about 3/4 or more full and using no wedge, but I didn't get the push I wanted out of the wave and adding wedge to that setup didn't seem to work either. This also pushed the engine hard (even with the 2315 prop).

Now the above assumes you only have a couple people in the boat and just one person to sit in the bow. Everthing changes when you have lots of people in the boat.

This is why I question the OP's suppossed settings. I have a bit of time playing with things and the recipe does not add up from what I am used to....May be wrong? Cory, you have the same setup supposedly, 750's right? Load those babies up and throw the wedge out at 125% I am curious.

I will on Vaca at Entiat all next week. We will have two Bu's. I will try it on both.

I already know what the result would be if I filled the 750's full and attempted 125% wedge--no go. I'm more curious if half filled 750's and 100% wedge will work (or a lot of bow weight)... I think if the nose of the boat ends up too high (due to wedge, sacs, or both), the wake won't clean up. If you can achieve sufficient speed (which brings the nose back down), then eventually it might clean up. But that is a lot of wedge...

We'll be driving by your whole group on our way up HWY 97 to Osoyoos for Tuesday thru Saturday next week. Try to keep your name straight with the other Bobby... If we hadn't pre-paid for this trip, I think I'd rather have returned to Banks Lake again this summer than Osoyoos. The water on Osoyoos is so hard and the wind picks up in the afternoon.

Afun, you are lucky you surf goofy foot. The wave on that side is great. I've found about three clicks up from bottom on wedge and 10.4-10.6 mph to be good. The best is lots of people distributed all over the boat, but we only have that maybe once every third time we ride.

Someone please define " a click". Should I keep filling my 550's all the way? I feel that's a perfect weight for the lockers. Getting the boat to plane at 10.6 nearly impossible. I will increase speed this weekend. If I had a bow sac that wave would be perfect. Lets see what happens with speed and a little bit of wedge.

Rule of thumb: surf until your legs turn to jello. Now you know it's time to come in.

Edited by Afun

The term "click" refers back to the pre-MTC days when the wedge was actuated by a 3-position toggle switch on the dash. Each press made a mechanical "click" sound. Basically, "a click" up from bottom just means one quick up button press on the MTC after first getting the wedge all the way to the down position (0%). There is so much confusion related to wedge position on this website. Number of clicks up from the down position seems the most straight forward to me...

Like it!!! Does anyone have any input on still needing to be in at least 8 ft of water with the Surf Gate. If you can surf in shallower water with SG I'm going to order one soon. We have lots of shallow water around here.

JK

Afun, you are lucky you surf goofy foot. The wave on that side is great. I've found about three clicks up from bottom on wedge and 10.4-10.6 mph to be good. The best is lots of people distributed all over the boat, but we only have that maybe once every third time we ride.

Cory, have you tried using wedge only on port side wake? I'm going to try this tomorrow... my port side wake is a bit flatter than the starboard side.

I am also working on a hidden bow sac for the vlx, I just got the final spec done... it will be tucked up in gunnel and should be 347 lbs when max full. I am finding a good weight ratio for bow is 50% of transom weight. When I get a price for the bow sac I will post it up. It will be about 700 lbs total in front bow with hard tank filled and 1700 lbs in transom plus wedge (1200 bags, 500 hard tanks). I think this should be a good surfgate recipe and probably one crazy wakeboard wake.

Edited by Fman

Like it!!! Does anyone have any input on still needing to be in at least 8 ft of water with the Surf Gate. If you can surf in shallower water with SG I'm going to order one soon. We have lots of shallow water around here.

JK

I doubt very seriously you will will be able to get a decent wave in less than 8 ft of water Surfgate or not. Same reason deeper water makes a better wakeboard wake at 23 mph than shallow water. In shallow water the bottom messes with the water the boat can displace to build a wave.

Cory, have you tried using wedge only on port side wake? I'm going to try this tomorrow... my port side wake is a bit flatter than the starboard side.

I am also working on a hidden bow sac for the vlx, I just got the final spec done... it will be tucked up in gunnel and should be 347 lbs when max full. I am finding a good weight ratio for bow is 50% of transom weight. When I get a price for the bow sac I will post it up. It will be about 700 lbs total in front bow with hard tank filled and 1700 lbs in transom plus wedge (1200 bags, 500 hard tanks). I think this should be a good surfgate recipe and probably one crazy wakeboard wake.

Yes, I'm regular foot. When surfing I give my wife instructions to mess with the wedge and adding wedge definitely adds push. Three or even four clicks up have helped. I haven't tried having her continue to add wedge to see if the wake goes down hill at some point.

JK

Shallow water definitely affects surfgate. There is an area in our lake that is about 5 feet. Drove my wife into that area and the wave just disappeared on her. Not sure at what depth it becomes significant, but it's very significant at 5 ft from personal experience.

not sure why some people are getting so much wash with the wedge anything higher then a few clicks from the bottom, maybe the size of the boat has something to do with it, but we are definitely getting the cleanest and highest wave as per the settings previously mentioned, also may be people are running to fast as we are at 9.6-9.8 miles an hour. we are pretty dialed in as to this specific boat and size 21 feet. and there is no question that puts up the best wave we have seen and we have tried all scenarios. actually when the wedge is down for us the wave is significantly smaller.

Hey Alty........ Sooooo, what's the verdict?

the honest answer, is that it looks like an amazing wave, but based on the placement of teh camera being farther back, with the wide anglee lense it tends to make it look longer then the placement i am using (and im not even mentioning the comments and admitting of the person being "a little person) , i mount the camera as close to the wave as possible as i try and not get the boat in the picture. still definietly a great wave, but i belive that the boat is listing and im not sure what his weight set up is, we are using the stock stuff and are very satisfied with not adding extra weight. im sure we could turn it into a monster with more weight but we are very content with it as is. i have tried three other 2013 boats this year, the nautique with the nss and the mastercraft x10 with surftabs. both of those boats had extra weight in them and threw up great waves, slightly bigger but not as long and as clean. the x10 cant switch sides on the move and the nautique couldnt switch sides either based on the placement of the added weight.

not sure why some people are getting so much wash with the wedge anything higher then a few clicks from the bottom, maybe the size of the boat has something to do with it, but we are definitely getting the cleanest and highest wave as per the settings previously mentioned, also may be people are running to fast as we are at 9.6-9.8 miles an hour. we are pretty dialed in as to this specific boat and size 21 feet. and there is no question that puts up the best wave we have seen and we have tried all scenarios. actually when the wedge is down for us the wave is significantly smaller.

My only difference is the 550 sacs vs the 750. I did everything at the speed and the wedge position and the wave did not develop. All wash. Please explain the wedge position again. 200% is stowed and 0% is all the way down. I wonder if Fman has tried it.

for those who are still confused about our wedge placement, i will explain. we set the wedge to 100 percent in the presets, as you cant set it any higher from the preset menu. knowing that malibu is now reccomending to not move the wedge around at high speeds (we have spoken to head office). we then start the boat moving and while its about 2 miles an hour we clik the wedge button up, one single time, this brings it to 125 percent. from there it seems to stay locked in for the entire session until we shut the boat off or change the preset settings. im very curous to know why everyone is getting such different results, that being said its no shock as i have also tried the 20 foot vtx and although it was clean the wave was pretty small in comparison (with the same plug and play 750 sacks added), and i have tried the mxz and couldnt belive how bad the wave was, hence the term spray gate.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark that your wedge is out of calibration. Just seems too weird that no-one else can create the same results. Which would mean the position of the wedge may be great but not actually 125% as it displays on the maliview.

My only difference is the 550 sacs vs the 750. I did everything at the speed and the wedge position and the wave did not develop. All wash. Please explain the wedge position again. 200% is stowed and 0% is all the way down. I wonder if Fman has tried it.

I can honestly say I have not messef with the wedge at all for surfing other than having it in lowest position (least resistance). I had a Malibu rep tell me this was the best setting. However today I will be trying a few clicks up on port side to see if it brings up the wave a bit. I definitely have a better starboard wake than port side. Still surfable on port, but its not as steep a bit of wash on top. We have been riding at 11mph, anything under 10 and the pocket seems to get very short...

:lol: ahhhhh....the ol' trick photography defense, eh? Heard that one before.

The boat IS listing. No SG.

The dude in that picture is bigger than me. I'm 6'-1", 205.

If you can't see there is a gigantic difference between that 247 wave and yours..... I don't know what to tell ya.

If you can't see the difference between the size of 'turns' you are taking on that VLX wave and the size of turns I'm taking on that 247 wave..... Well...I'm not sure what to say. :lol:

Carry on.

Bobby wave is really awesome, but bobby admitted in this thread that the person in the pics was little so I'm not sure why you are claiming he is over 6 feet. Second if u do t understand how the camera lens can affect things by position then I don't know what to tell ya. All that being said I feel the wave I posted isn't drastically far off from Bobby's wave and we are dialed in with no extra bags other then the plug and play option and that's what makes the malibu awesome. Last year my friends 2007 mastercraft marastar threw up an awesome wave but we had around 2000 pounds on one side of the boat and people would ask us if the boat was sinking and/or do we need to be towed

And bobby can't do this with that setup

Edited by Alty