Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hands down the best wave! Details and vid inside

Alty

leave one as is, put the regular tsunami pump plug back in the other one? You don't have the plugs that came with the bags?

That's right, I just bought a tsunami pump. I don't think these wedge sacs came with plugs. All the openings except the air release came with a long nipple with a rubber o-ring to accommodate WakeMakers quick releases. I probably would not have listed anyways.

I mind as well continue the saga here.... this truly has been an entertaining thread, and actually has some good info in it if you dig through all the jabbing....

I believe Surfgate is only going to get better, I still don't have an exact science to weighting my boat. Crew sizes change it up, but I can say if I fill my rear 600 lb bags, hard tanks and drop the wedge, set the speed at 11mph, I can pretty much get a quality, surfable wake with any amount of people in the boat. Its pretty obvious everyone on this thread has a different liking or surf waves. I really don't have a lot to compare my wake to, I have surfed behind an X-15, a 2012/11 VLX, and 2008 Supra... that is it. Of those wakes I have been behind, I seem to favor the wake in my boat.... probably because I have been using it all summer. I am going to be spending some time in a '13 23 MB TWB next week, with plenty of weight, but after reading IXFE's post about his experience with the MB my expectations are already starting to drop. We had a similar experience this year on Shasta, the X-15 weighted was imo a less than desirable wake, everyone surfed behind our VLX because the wake had much better push and we could rifle through goofy and regular riders instantly.

I hope everyone on this thread can come to peace with everyone and just realize it comes down to different strokes for different folks, and help others improve there surf wake and make the best with what you have. IMO, there is no such thing as a bad surf wake, because if you are out having fun and enjoying time on the water with family and friends its all good.... the crappiest surf wave is still better than the best day of work! I really hope as a group on this forum we can progress Surfgate to the next level with everyone contributing to different weighting techniques, speed settings, etc.... and also do the same for the traditional weighted boats! :thumbup:

I agree with Fman. I fill all my tanks and PNP bags and I have quality surfable wave evertime. I average 10.6 to 10.8. If you come on this site frequently, you start looking for ways to improve your wave. That's how I ended up with a new bow sac for this weekend.

Man am I excited!

Edited by Afun

For the record, I agree that SG is not necessary to make a good surf wave. In fact, I regularly get asked my friends to advise them on boat purchases and I usually tell them they don't need SG... I'm the first to admit that you can get a great wave out of a listed boat if you weight it properly. That's what's so madening about this discussion. I feel like we're all taking past eachother (at work we call this being in violent agreement).

I'm also not worried about out growing my SG wave. How long do you guys think I'm going to own this boat anyway?? :rofl:

On another note... I want you guys to tell me what you think of this wave. Be honest. Don't hold back...

D7K_2152s.jpg

From that angle, it looks really short height-wise

Dave, how is your boat weighted above? From that angle I agree it looks a bit short on the height. But the camera angle does play a huge factor in how a wave looks...here is an example, port side wake on my boat, 2 people in boat with 600s filled, MLS, wedge all the way down. To me, it looks like a different wave...only difference between our boats if you have a diamond hull and I have a wake hull. On Wed this week we were out and I did click up the wedge a notch on port side and it DOES help clean up the wake and add a bit more push, something I am going to start doing.

SURFING2_zpse6778e56.jpg

Edited by Fman

F-man - this conciliatory stuff has to stop. It is going to take all the life out of this thread.

If we are going to keep this going, we need more posts like:

The best gated wakes can never be as good as the best leaned wakes, it's like comparing Lambo's to Camrys.

Or something like: I only had to surf three or four times behind someone else's gated boat to know that those wakes can never be dialed in - those of you who have spent hundreds of hours dialing in gated wakes either just don't know what you are doing or you like mush. But I am sure gated wakes are really good for average surfers like you who really don't know any better.

Come on F-Man. I'm long past wanting information from this thread or thinking anyone is going to convince anyone. I am also long past thinking anyone in their right mind would ever read this thread from front to back for information. At this point, I am just enjoying the show. Don't try to kill it. Please.

F-man - this conciliatory stuff has to stop. It is going to take all the life out of this thread.

If we are going to keep this going, we need more posts like:

The best gated wakes can never be as good as the best leaned wakes, it's like comparing Lambo's to Camrys.

Or something like: I only had to surf three or four times behind someone else's gated boat to know that those wakes can never be dialed in - those of you who have spent hundreds of hours dialing in gated wakes either just don't know what you are doing or you like mush. But I am sure gated wakes are really good for average surfers like you who really don't know any better.

Come on F-Man. I'm long past wanting information from this thread or thinking anyone is going to convince anyone. I am also long past thinking anyone in their right mind would ever read this thread from front to back for information. At this point, I am just enjoying the show. Don't try to kill it. Please.

My apologies, let the beatings continue!!

Ok so, I got bored on page 7 with all the manly " my wave is bigger" and girth talk (HA) so I'll just go ahead and say it out loud.... The best wave is the one I'm riding on at the moment. my boat, your boat, his boat, doesn't matter. If I'm on it it is the best :)

I agree... that wave I posted is s***ty, which helps make my point. Because that is NOT my Surf Gate wave. That "weaksauce" wave is from my heavily listed F21 taken two years ago at Shasta (you can tell cuz the lake was full that year). We had 2500 lbs. in that boat and that's what it produced... supreme disappointment.

So just as many have had great listed wave experienced, others have had miserable experiences. hopefully that gives some context as to why a guy like me appreciates SG for what it is... a really nice wave to ride right out of the box (assuming the box in question includes PnP bags, hehe).

I agree... that wave I posted is s***ty, which helps make my point. Because that is NOT my Surf Gate wave. That "weaksauce" wave is from my heavily listed F21 taken two years ago at Shasta (you can tell cuz the lake was full that year). We had 2500 lbs. in that boat and that's what it produced... supreme disappointment.

So just as many have had great listed wave experienced, others have had miserable experiences. hopefully that gives some context as to why a guy like me appreciates SG for what it is... a really nice wave to ride right out of the box (assuming the box in question includes PnP bags, hehe).

Wooo.. that is good to know, glad its not your vlx....I guess I should not assume. That wake needs some work.

If you forgot we are all talking about Malibu boats here on this Malibu forum, so if you insist on comparing a crappy wave from a other wave from another manufacturers boat, to me you are just grasping at straws.

Pretty much a red streak on the highway at this point. Run over by countless weighted boats, engines, sideways mud flaps, and an F1 car pulling a 247 driven by a bunch of industry experts and internet jockeys being chased by a bicycle.

Better add a bad listed wave from another boat manufacturer to your list there jk13.

Ok, so a few things.

In Wakesurfing there are 8 stances available because the board is directional. I was saying I can ride 3/4 on port side ropeless. 2/4 starboard ropeless. Anyway.....

You are saying that the future of the sport needs to include the other side of the wave to open up those other 4 stances. I don't see that happening. Yelling back and forth with the driver when you want to "transfer" seems absurd to me. I think it's gimmicky.....and it doesn't prove anything about the riders ability that isn't already proven by riding the board fakie. I think a much more plausible future to the sport is symmetrical boards. You're already seeing the beginning of that with the skim style riders, no? Once that board becomes truly symmetrical, there is absolutely NO need for a rider to switch sides (because there is no such thing as fakie at that point). A rider simply starts on his/her preferred side and boom......all 4 stances are available.

To me what you are saying is akin to saying cable parks are the future of wakeboarding because the boat limits what can be done. Which, technically, it does........right? But......

It also seems a lot like saying: the future of wakeboarding is directional boards and rotating bindings (or none at all). That would effectively open up 4 more stances.........right? But.....

Think about it: Wakeboarding could easily be told it's evolution is Wakeskating because there are more possibilities right? That's essentially what you're saying about Wakesurfing: that it's future is wakeboarding/wakeskating.

Not what I'm saying at all but I catch your drift. My board is a very directional board so my 4 stances are really 2 stances on 2 waves. I also agree that the boards are getting more symmetrical. But I don't think you can rule out the fact that riding regular heelside on a goofy wave cannot be replicated on a regular wave. Either your stance is switched or your riding toe-side. Each of the 4 (and adding in assymmetrical boards, now 8) stance/wave/board setups have there own unique challenges and I think the sport is going to progress in a way that you are riding both waves. I can only imagine that wake transfers will be a part of that evolution although I agree whether it be driver/rider coordination or a handheld remote, the realism of it at present is too gimicky. Maybe whats coming next isn't an evolution of SG at all but just a 2 sided wave. A very short, hard and vertical "wakeboard" wake, where riders have the freedom to ride both sides.

Regardless neither of us know, but I believe both waves as well as transfers will become a regular part of wakesurfing. Only time will tell.

If you forgot we are all talking about Malibu boats here on this Malibu forum, so if you insist on comparing a crappy wave from a other wave from another manufacturers boat, to me you are just grasping at straws.

Sorry for the confusion... I wasn't actually trying to compare. I was just trying to give context to what I've experienced in the past. So much of everybody's opinion is shaped by their past experiences, most of which never gets shared on the forum... we just blast away with our current opinions and wonder why others dont' agree. I was simply trying to add some color and depth to why I like SG.

Admittedly I was also poking fun at the MB folks who are in this thread knocking SG and using their non-Malibu listed waves as proof. I've owned two Malibus and two MB's and I know which one is a better surf machine (and yes, I'm talking listed).

Sorry for the confusion... I wasn't actually trying to compare. I was just trying to give context to what I've experienced in the past. So much of everybody's opinion is shaped by their past experiences, most of which never gets shared on the forum... we just blast away with our current opinions and wonder why others dont' agree. I was simply trying to add some color and depth to why I like SG.

Admittedly I was also poking fun at the MB folks who are in this thread knocking SG and using their non-Malibu listed waves as proof. I've owned two Malibus and two MB's and I know which one is a better surf machine (and yes, I'm talking listed).

Gotcha, a better comparison would be posting a pic of your 2012 non-sg boat and your current sg boat for comparrison. Regardless glad you're injoying the toy :cheers: .

Who are the SG hating MB guys?

Totally understand what you are saying dave, especially if that's the best you could get with that much weight. Clearly the vid that was posted above is a much better surf wave from the same hull with roughly equivalent weight (albeit on the starboard side, which is definitely better on LH rotation boats, usually). SG is "fill" then "surf" which is awesome. I think your wave looks pretty fun and I am pretty sure I've said so more than once.

Is it the most beautiful surf wave behind a boat ever, even pushing two tons? No. But it's definitely better (or no worse, for sure) than I ever got out of our vride, which was a huge PITA to sack out.

Honestly man, I'm not sure why you'd get your knickers in a wad. You are not a DIY guy. You are not one to tinker. You want a new boat to work with new features, and then you flip it in a year. It doesn't surprise me in the least that you haven't dialed a wave on any of your boats... shoot, have you even owned the same hull for more than 75 hours of use (and how much of that was surfing?)? Clearly, as an out-of-the-box-big(ish)-clean(ish)-wave, SG just works. Nobody can deny it, and I think I said as much after seeing your vids, and for someone in your position I can completely understand its attraction.

Who are the SG hating MB guys?

Totally understand what you are saying dave, especially if that's the best you could get with that much weight. Clearly the vid that was posted above is a much better surf wave from the same hull with roughly equivalent weight (albeit on the starboard side, which is definitely better on LH rotation boats, usually). SG is "fill" then "surf" which is awesome. I think your wave looks pretty fun and I am pretty sure I've said so more than once.

Is it the most beautiful surf wave behind a boat ever, even pushing two tons? No. But it's definitely better (or no worse, for sure) than I ever got out of our vride, which was a huge PITA to sack out.

Honestly man, I'm not sure why you'd get your knickers in a wad. You are not a DIY guy. You are not one to tinker. You want a new boat to work with new features, and then you flip it in a year. It doesn't surprise me in the least that you haven't dialed a wave on any of your boats... shoot, have you even owned the same hull for more than 75 hours of use (and how much of that was surfing?)? Clearly, as an out-of-the-box-big(ish)-clean(ish)-wave, SG just works. Nobody can deny it, and I think I said as much after seeing your vids, and for someone in your position I can completely understand its attraction.

agree with everything you posted except the part about my knickers... they are nice and straight. :-)

I actually had my MB's for three season... about 210 hours (two different boats, same hull). we surfed some but the hassle was barely worth it. like you said, I don't have time or energy to tinker or diy stuff.

here's a pic of my orig twb with just stock ballasy but tons of people...

DSC_4922.jpg

Sorry to hear you could not set up your MB quite right. I thought it is pretty easy to setup. Here's a pic on the port side (slightly different angle). Seriously rather not get into an argument of which boat has better surf wave but you seem to enjoy poking at it.

post-19486-0-06668300-1377900023_thumb.j

Edited by demo9asx

shuv it - board 180, board stays on surface, back foot slides the back of the board rearwards so that the nose of the board spins towards your front. Regular rider the board is spinning clock wise

frontside shuv it - same everything but opposite rotation. Regular rider shuvs it counter-clockwise.

pop shuv it - requires an ollie first, board is completely off surface while spinning. Most shuv's are done this way in skating and wake skating...

360 shuv - board spins 360 degrees. Is probably pop shut 360...

360 frontside shuv - ends up being a hard flip cuz the board gets so vertical.

big spin -360 shuv it with a body varial.

okay, now go fight over SG vs Non - SG and how many clicks and so on and so forth, this has been highly entertaining.

Edited by JohnnyDefacto
  • Like 2