Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best mods you have done to any boat.

Big Jay D

I'm looking at some projects to do this winter and I was thinking about all the different things I want to get done. So I thought I would ask the crew what mods made their boating life better.

I put hydroturf down on the floor of my LSV as well as the gunwales and swim deck. LOVE IT!

• Like 1

Have to be adding Fresh Air Exhaust. Also added a circ pump to my heater. So now even get hot air for several minutes after motor is shut down. Oh and I guess the hot water shower, makes those trips in Nov and Dec a little easier on the hands!

My first install was two 3 outlet heaters. We board and surf throughout the fall and early winter and early spring... A great addition and fairly easy to install. Since I installed them in March, we have used them including last week when the highs during the day were in the mid 70s and low sixties at night. Help dry towels and keep you warm while having fun!

On my vRide, in no particular order, an Evolution cover, relocating my HU as well, removing rear hard tanks and plumbing in sacs, modifying my fixed racks to spinners, adding second battery and perko switch, removing side decals, re-skinning all seat bottoms, LED's....

Edited by Ndawg12

Bluetooth for the stereo

Hse revolution volume controller for the stereo

Supplemental ballast bags plumbed in on their own through hulls with impeller pumps

Two heaters

Blue sea add a battery switch

Hardwired tube pump (oh yeah you read that right!)

USB charging ports hardwired in the glove box.

• Like 1

Best mod? Probably on my last boat. I installed it in someone else's garage.

But really the battery combiner is a good one. Not sure my stereo would kill the battery with as much as we use it but it is a nice piece of mind.

On my vRide, in no particular order, an Evolution cover, relocating my HU as well, removing rear hard tanks and plumbing in sacs, modifying my fixed racks to spinners, adding second battery and perko switch, removing side decals, re-skinning all seat bottoms, LED's....

Please. Go on about the spinner rack conversion.

Please. Go on about the spinner rack conversion.

Copied from a recent PM....

....my design was on the Titan3 tower anyways, no idea how you'd do it on an Illusion.

But basically I cut 2 identical pieces of 3/8" aluminum L 4"x3"x3" wide. I had them rotate on the 3"x3" side using some stainless and nylock bushing's and washers. I added a pull pin similar to the link below and added 3 stopping points. The pic is far away but it's with both racks all the way in.

http://www.grainger....On-Barrel-3CRP7

IMAG0320.jpg

are there any threads on installing these on the forum? http://lifeformled.com/lifeform-6/ Worried about drilling into my stock hard tanks on the transom to instal.

are there any threads on installing these on the forum? http://lifeformled.com/lifeform-6/ Worried about drilling into my stock hard tanks on the transom to instal.

I referring to cabin LED's, I have very little use for transom LED's so I could never justify the price of them but they do look cool. I was just under the floor last night re-sealing my loose platform brackets. The drain pump is between the transom and tank so you shouldn't have to worry about drilling into the tank.

I referring to cabin LED's, I have very little use for transom LED's so I could never justify the price of them but they do look cool. I was just under the floor last night re-sealing my loose platform brackets. The drain pump is between the transom and tank so you shouldn't have to worry about drilling into the tank.

Thats good to know. Thanks. Was it you who had that great post on your Cabin LED install or was it Nitrousbird. I want to do the cabin as well. Winter project to do it all.

We are focused on making our VLX a better surfing boat. So here it goes:

Best Mod: PTM edge mirror and Samson mirror arm --- Considering this upgraded the small walkthrough windshield stock mirror, it's hands down the best modification of the boat so far. An expensive, but easy mod to change your boat's daily operation, safety, and appearance. After the install, I wouldn't want to use a boat without a mirror like this.

Second Place: Ballast upgrade --- I plumbed in my 750's for the back lockers; added Rule 1100 pumps with 1 1/8inch lines; and doubled up the drain pumps, with a dedicated drain for each tank and fat sac. It's all plug'n'play, and everything runs from the existing dash switches. Very convenient for surfing, but being able to fill and drain while driving, is the best part.

Third Place.- dbot 5 surf racks, with extra surf extension pieces for bigger ocean style surfboards. Awesome upgrade to get boards off the floor and seats, even holds my 7 and 8ft boards. Fully loaded, we can have: 2 longboards, 2 short boards/wakeskates, 3 wakeboards, and a kneeboard, using only 3 of the 4 illusion tower rack spots. Looking for a Samson swing style for the fourth spot.

Honorable Mentions-

ACME 1235 Prop --- Basically as good as an engine upgrade. Unbelievable how much power difference coming from OJ 14/18.

Raised Driver's seat 4" -- new bracket from ebay. Better vision with bow rise / full ballast.

Fresh Air Exhaust for Manual Wedge: I installed it. Added T-bolt clamps and retightened. Then it twisted again, and a bolt broke off; so it will be a re-install soon. A little time consuming to get right. Although it's a good upgrade, just not a top 3.

Overton's Retractable Trailer straps: Super easy to install on transom; bought the bow strap too, just need to drill a small hole for the front bracket.

AO Cooler: Purchased from Group Buy; personalized with "WAKESETTER" in silver thread. Cold ice all day!

Dock Shocks: portable for overnight mooring or rafting up. With 2 attached, your boat cannot hit the dock.

Cheapest Mod: Auxiliary Bluetooth: $25 from Best Buy; plugs into the auxiliary jack, and you can run wireless music from your phone all day. My newest mod; and my daughter's favorite upgrade.

Next Mod: Depth Finder. Why they would ever sell an inboard without one is a mystery.

Edited by kayakwv

And adding extra set of board racks to the G3, you can never have enough board storage! :-)

What racks did you go with and are thy fixed or swivel? Any pics?

We are focused on making our VLX a better surfing boat. So here it goes:

Best Mod: PTM edge mirror and Samson mirror arm --- Considering this upgraded the small walkthrough windshield stock mirror, it's hands down the best modification of the boat so far. An expensive, but easy mod to change your boat's daily operation, safety, and appearance. After the install, I wouldn't want to use a boat without a mirror like this.

Second Place: Ballast upgrade --- I plumbed in my 750's for the back lockers; added Rule 1100 pumps with 1 1/8inch lines; and doubled up the drain pumps, with a dedicated drain for each tank and fat sac. It's all plug'n'play, and everything runs from the existing dash switches. Very convenient for surfing, but being able to fill and drain while driving, is the best part.

Third Place.- dbot 5 surf racks, with extra surf extension pieces for bigger ocean style surfboards. Awesome upgrade to get boards off the floor and seats, even holds my 7 and 8ft boards. Fully loaded, we can have: 2 longboards, 2 short boards/wakeskates, 3 wakeboards, and a kneeboard, using only 3 of the 4 illusion tower rack spots. Looking for a Samson swing style for the fourth spot.

Honorable Mentions-

Fresh Air Exhaust for Manual Wedge: I installed it. Added T-bolt clamps and retightened. Then it twisted again, and a bolt broke off; so it will be a re-install soon. A little time consuming to get right. Although it's a good upgrade, just not a top 3.

Overton's Retractable Trailer straps: Super easy to install on transom; bought the bow strap too, just need to drill a small hole for the front bracket.

AO Cooler: Purchased from Group Buy; personalized with "WAKESETTER" in silver thread. Cold ice all day!

Dock Shocks: portable for overnight mooring or rafting up. With 2 attached, your boat cannot hit the dock.

Cheapest Mod: Auxiliary Bluetooth: $25 from Best Buy; plugs into the auxiliary jack, and you can run wireless music from your phone all day. My newest mod; and my daughter's favorite upgrade.

Next Mod: Depth Finder. Why they would ever sell an inboard without one is a mystery.

I'm going to best buy tonight for one of those, thats perfect.

Really depends on what your starting with. My boat already had a heater, shower, PerfectPass, tower, depth finder, retractable stern straps, Rankin cover, etc.

So a few things I've added include:

PTM Edge mirror

Custom bimini above the tower

GatorGrip & Linex on the swimstep

AO cooler under the seat

Rather than moving the HU, I installed a remote, 12v outlet & MP3 input on the passenger side. Cost me almost nothing.

Bilge heater & simplify the draining process

On board battery charger (it's so nice to not ever to open those battery boxes at all).

Only thing I have plans for this winter is locking gas caps. I'm sure I'll find more stuff too with threads like this going on.

Heater, shower, LED courtesy lights, and a reverse light for my trailer is in the works.

I think I'm going to buy some terry cloth material and make some seat/swim deck covers to keep the towels off the seats. All my towels end up soaked from people using them to sit on because the seats are hot and sweaty.

I want to build a new access port for the bow storage so I can put my anchor up there and have easier access to spare vests.

I'm thinking about making some battery trays so I can move my batteries next to the engine and free up the space under the glove box. I need to work in that area to make it water proof too.

I want to build a tray to put over the engine. A great warm spot to hold wetsuits and gloves for winter riding.

I also want to build a tray for over the v-drive to use as a trash can. I also want to hinge that middle stern seat to make trash access easier.

I modified the title to have only my name on it, that was a nice mod for sure. Seriously though, haven't done much it was so good "out of the box"

1) Tower Bimini, real save when it's 100 degrees in Eastern Wa.

2) Spinner racks

3) Prop

4)extended the pull out heater hose, not sure what they were thinking with the stock one so short.

Need - to work on the Stereo, also going to give wake surfing a try and have an idea for KISS-gate (keep it simple, stupid) that will not put any holes anywhere on the boat.

Edited by MalibuTime