Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

4 Exile SXT65's on tower w/ factory RF Punch Amp P500-2

tideride

Swapped out 4 tower speakers on my 11 vlx to Exile SXT65's. Still running the factory RF Punch Amp (P-500-2). I see a lot of positive comments about the Exile Harpoon Amp and am curious has to how much of an improvement the Harpoon would be over the RF Punch Amp? Worth the upgrade?

Price tag = you already own the 500.2 and the harpoon retails for $700 (there are more efficient amps that deliver similar or more watts rms, for less $$$)

Both are class-A/B, so nothing gained to switched

If space is concern, the 500.2 is smaller

Theres right about a 200W rms total gain with the harpoon driving 4 speakers over the 500.2 driving 4 speakers. A little extra headroom is always a good thing, but its nothing thats going to blow the doors off so to speak. The 500.2 is delivering good solid power for any 6.5" tower coaxial.

MLA - Your a retailer posting in an audio thread again pushing your agenda. Please stop. This is what got the placed closed down last time. I've asked the admins to review.

MLA - Your a retailer posting in an audio thread again pushing your agenda. Please stop. This is what got the placed closed down last time. I've asked the admins to review.

I disagree. He/she stated an opinion. I don't really see anything in the post that is pushing the OP to buy something.

How is he pushing his own agenda?

(there are more efficient amps that deliver similar or more watts rms, for less $$$)

I think this would be the only offending portion--and only because MLA is an industry professional. If he were not, it would be acceptable.

What happened to the audio section last time was unfortunate. The TOU are now pretty clear regarding retailers and manufacturers involvement now. I really like having these guys here (all of them) and would hate to see something similar happen again. Tons of useful info was trashed and lost forever and now things have to be different because of the issues that caused it.

If MLA edits his post to appease Brian, I will edit mine to get rid of it as well.

Price tag = you already own the 500.2 and the harpoon retails for $700 (there are more efficient amps that deliver similar or more watts rms, for less $$$)

Both are class-A/B, so nothing gained to switched

If space is concern, the 500.2 is smaller

Theres right about a 200W rms total gain with the harpoon driving 4 speakers over the 500.2 driving 4 speakers. A little extra headroom is always a good thing, but its nothing thats going to blow the doors off so to speak. The 500.2 is delivering good solid power for any 6.5" tower coaxial.

Thanks for the info. I do need to check my space. Harpoon is roughly 3.5 wider and 3 longer. The width is my concern. Thanks!

MLA stated nothing wrong.

He endorsed no brand and even suggested not spending additional money. If he was pushing an agenda, at MINIMUM he would suggest spending money on something.

Also, if you have the 500.2, it is rated @ 250x2 @ 2ohm = 125 per speaker, exactly what they are rated at.

Looks like it fell of the back of a truck. Or beat to hell while being stolen

Ships from "South Ozone Park, NY"...doesn't sound at all like a place where that would happen! No offense to anyone in Ozone Park, I'm sure its a lovely spot.

As an industry expert, MLA has a lot to offer in the way of product and applicational knowledge.

If you need to get the scoop on this or that and it requires product details, just take it off the public forum and contact him privately.

David

I have been running the harpoon amp for 3 years now the thing absolutely rocks, clean efficient Awesome power and will be a perfect fit for your exile speakers, go with people who actually run this stuff, that's what I did and never looked back.

I have been running the harpoon amp for 3 years now the thing absolutely rocks, clean efficient Awesome power and will be a perfect fit for your exile speakers, go with people who actually run this stuff, that's what I did and never looked back.

Good Feedback...Thanks All!

I too have been running a harpoon for over 3 years now to my tower and it's been bullet proof. The sound quality is second to none and I've used alot of amps. The harpoon will sound better than the rockford you currently have (I've also had that amp, came in my boat when I bought it) for a couple reasons. One is the overall sound quality of the amp itself, the second is the increased power and headroom you will get going to a more powerful amp. Is it worth the $$ for the upgrade, that's your choice and something you need to think about.

If space is your concern and you still want an exile amp you might want to wait for the Mini-Poon to come out. It's a 2 channel class D amp that's less than 1/2 the footprint of the harpoon and 850 watts, a little smaller footprint than the rockford 500/2 you have now.

It looks like this amp but smaller in sizehttp://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/amplifiers/javelin.html, not on their site yet. I've heard it in person and it's a solid amp in every respect. Member Bobby Bright has a couple in his boat. See this thread for what the amp looks like.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44110-juss-a-lil-sumpin-sumpn/page-2

Edited by Bobby Light

You open the door for a very informative discussion on amplifier efficiency. For the benefit of the TMC community, can you let us know what modern day amplifier topology, is Class-A/B more efficient than? In other words, said amp's "efficient power" is compared to what amp topology currently being used?

Your next statement has me a little confused. It seems to infer that only end consumers have any knowledge or experience with a product, therefore, have the only valid opinion. Well, I respectfully disagree. But none the less, it doesnt really matter in this case. I have been a purchaser and user of said amplifier. BrianinPDX, who is the manufacturer and retailer of Exile audio, can feel free to confirm this. I have seen the independent test results on this amp. I have run this amp in the 3 configurations commonly recommended by the manufacturer ( 4 ohm x 2, 2 ohm x 2 and 1.33 ohm x 2) and its output and performance were what I expected.

Regards,

Lol nice try let's just say sometimes you guys talk way over most end users head. Knowledge, I really just want to see, hear how other people with actual experience like a said product, my system sounds amazing and I have been at this along time so please don't try and insult my intelligence some times real world experience trumps x times z equals what ever point your trying to make. You crack me up !!!

Oh and funny I don't come on here much but when i do it Seems very apparent you and David always try to discredit in your own subtle ways any thing that has to do with Exile. Honest it gets so freaken old stop with your childish agenda, yay, David and you are stereo nerds, get your butt out in a boat and chill out.

Oh and funny I don't come on here much but when i do it Seems very apparent you and David always try to discredit in your own subtle ways any thing that has to do with Exile. Honest it gets so freaken old stop with your childish agenda, yay, David and you are stereo nerds, get your butt out in a boat and chill out.

What's a disgruntled former exile retailer to do though.....

Regardless of what ever was said........If you insult MR. Wakesetter67 you should know he is a midget and that it is not cool to pick on the little people. Don't let it happen again.

I will personally bust your ...... If it comes to that.

Earmark and MLA with the tag team double threat.... Nice

And while I'm at it and you called me out, as I was about 150 yards away from our house boat and my group was dancing on the roof , not one if them said ... Hey dude you know your amp may not be as efficient as one MLA recommends... Lol see sometimes real life beats test tube hands down, quit making this rocket science loud clean and bad a** sound . For me it's Exile Harpoon. Real people real boat on the water,,,

• Like 3