Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MasterCraft ProStar gets the picklefork treatment

UWSkier

Really hard to say what my first impressions are by just looking at pics. It looks so good from some angles and then seems so wrong from others. I guess the proof is in the pudding and we will all know in October when somebody out there gets to ski behind one. I reserve judgement until such time. I like my boats regardless of the brand and keep an open mind and each have their strong points. I have owned a 88 flightcraft barefooter, 04 Lxi, 07 Lxi, 08 197 TT, 11 197TT and the odd VTX. Which has the best wake? easy win to the barefooter, even for slalom. Does it track the best? Hell no. Clear win to the 197. IS it the best family ski boat? Nope 07 lxi gets the gong there. Best all rounder? Easy. VTX . My point? Just that some boats do some things particularly better than others. What is being overlooked here is that the LXI and 197 were both 3 event tournament boats, in fact the 197 is still the only 5 event certified boat ever. What I believe has changed is the emphasis on slalom at the expense of all other disciplines since the advent of the CC200. Hence TXI, carbon pro et al... For what it's worth. I still own the barefooter...

• Like 2

Really hard to say what my first impressions are by just looking at pics. It looks so good from some angles and then seems so wrong from others. I guess the proof is in the pudding and we will all know in October when somebody out there gets to ski behind one. I reserve judgement until such time. I like my boats regardless of the brand and keep an open mind and each have their strong points. I have owned a 88 flightcraft barefooter, 04 Lxi, 07 Lxi, 08 197 TT, 11 197TT and the odd VTX. Which has the best wake? easy win to the barefooter, even for slalom. Does it track the best? Hell no. Clear win to the 197. IS it the best family ski boat? Nope 07 lxi gets the gong there. Best all rounder? Easy. VTX . My point? Just that some boats do some things particularly better than others. What is being overlooked here is that the LXI and 197 were both 3 event tournament boats, in fact the 197 is still the only 5 event certified boat ever. What I believe has changed is the emphasis on slalom at the expense of all other disciplines since the advent of the CC200. Hence TXI, carbon pro et al... For what it's worth. I still own the barefooter...

Great comparison. I like your open mindedness.

Edited by Malibuzer

That 6.2 Ilmor looks awesome!

Question: what does a trick wake look like? I hear people talking about. does it not need to be flat like ski wake?

Most important components of a trick wake is a flat table and nicely sized but more importantly, defined, crests.

Kudos to MC for going outside the box on the boat. The driver seat and motor box (in the photos) are not the final product. I always thought the 197 had the best lines of any of the ski boats....I'm undecided on this latest one. I will take function over fashion....and give a thumbs up to that windshield (probably because the one on my boat draws too far back). I also love how the bimini mounts to the uprights of the windshield....so as not to disrupt covering the boat or to rely on obtrusive nylon straps and buckles.

The removable bow cover also intrigues me....I have read that it is foldable....but the photos don't seem to show any type of seam or hinge.

Most importantly will be to see if the new hull now allows for softer and smaller wakes at slower speeds and longer line lengths (to compete w/ the Txi and SN200). Fuel efficiency will also be interesting. Finally, I want to hear about the driving experience (tracking and visibility).

Price doesn't matter to me....because I won't be able to afford one anyway :no: .

The wake looks excellent. Granted, that doesn't really mean anything until its skied and we hear input. The more I see the rear ski holders, the more I like them. Simple and fuctional.

About those ski holders, Yes they are really cool ans super easy to use. However with the bindings will stick out in the way of walking path somewhat, especially older high wrap bindings. They also don't provide any security for locking your like a regular ski locker would. Not really an issue for me in any way but some points to be made.

i didn't know what the "table" was. I got it now. thanks

The table is the area from crest to crest. Flat tables are especially important in barefooting and tricking. It means more than just "flat" behind the boat, ideally it is slightly elevated from the water outside the crest and its not just the lack of propwas, its the consistency of elevation from crest to crest. The curl is the area outside the crest that you'll hera barefooters comment on since barefoot wake slalom goes curl to curl.

About those ski holders, Yes they are really cool ans super easy to use. However with the bindings will stick out in the way of walking path somewhat, especially older high wrap bindings. They also don't provide any security for locking your like a regular ski locker would. Not really an issue for me in any way but some points to be made.

Do you find yourself walking up through the area on the stbd side? I would say the helm seat is the biggest obstruction there....

I noticed the very short and perpendicular edge windshield. Interesting look...is there a reason they have been angled down to the boat for so long?

I noticed the very short and perpendicular edge windshield. Interesting look...is there a reason they have been angled down to the boat for so long?

my guess is that it keeps swirling winds out of the cabin....allowing us northerners to have a longer season

I think those ski holders look great. We had 4 guys skiing in an older Prostar on Sunday morning and I was joking with the owner that he needed a tower because flipping the skis around was a pain. Of course he wasn't going for that, but now I have an even better solution for him...new boat!

Is there not "racks" on both sides?

Good point, to be honest, I don't know. I do know that we typically only bring 2 ski's with us, so we would only use the stbd side anyhow. Looks like plenty of room to get by them though....

So buy an expensive boat and get a shorter season? heh heh

That BTS windshield is optional. Most will have a traditional windshield I would guess. BTS is nice for docking, etc.... Not so much for dry ride or looks.

Edited by TenTwentyOne

That BTS windshield is optional. Most will have a traditional windshield I would guess. BTS is nice for docking, etc.... Not so much for dry ride or looks.

Has this been confirmed? It sure looked like it would be optional like the other boats (and I had commented that it might be) but now that there are more pictures I see a step behind the existing frame on the demo boats. I'm not sure anymore if there will be side options at all--BTS or glass. The BTS side billet pieces are not on these boats, either. Just the center sections.

BTS:

post-12034-0-83632800-1376317626_thumb.j

New Prostar with "recessed" or sunken windshield--no space for rear glass or BTS by the looks of it.

post-12034-0-96512900-1376317721_thumb.j

There is an interview on BOS now with Marcus Brown saying something to the effect that you are sitting 6" closer to the new windshield so the sides aren't as important.

I enjoyed that.

Bimini design seems good, dash seems good. Adjustable drivers seat seems good. Not having a bucket seat for the driver I don't like. The entire bow cover thing I think is a flop. Light or not it just seems a waste, If you want an open bow than you'll never use that cover, if you want a closed bow you won't be happy with the storage.

I'm not a fan of the new lines either, nor the olive fork front. I also thought the CC200 was uglier than sin when it came out, but has grown on me, as I'm sure this boat will.

I do like having analog gauges closer to eye level when pulling a skier in open water. But when driving thru the course in 17 seconds you can wait to glance at the gauges after the 55s.

I actually kind of like the closed/open bow idea. My closed bow is a love hate thing, and I feel the removable front is kind of a cool innovation. And it makes it much easier to access any gear stored in the bow. You can obviously order it with or without the cover.

I'm not a fan of the new lines either, nor the olive fork front. I also thought the CC200 was uglier than sin when it came out, but has grown on me, as I'm sure this boat will.

I do like having analog gauges closer to eye level when pulling a skier in open water. But when driving thru the course in 17 seconds you can wait to glance at the gauges after the 55s.

I actually kind of like the closed/open bow idea. My closed bow is a love hate thing, and I feel the removable front is kind of a cool innovation. And it makes it much easier to access any gear stored in the bow. You can obviously order it with or without the cover.

Where are you going to be storing gear under that thing whether you order seats or not? BEauty of a closed bow is that the storage was like a suburban trunk. A lot different stuffing "little" stuff up front under your 50 # hatch on top of seats.