Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat won't start.

Do not reinstall it.  Buy a new one, brass preferably.  Normal way to install for me is a wood dowel and a hammer, however I have never done one on an installed engine.

If you have not already checked your dipstick do it now and make sure you don't have mayo.  If you got super lucky the bad winterization only popped the core plug and didn't crack the block.

Edited by oldjeep
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2005 Mailbu 23 LSV. Every now and again, it wont start. I turn the key and there is nothing there. It's really random and very frustrating. I am fairly certain its not a "in neutral" problem and the starter was replaced last year. Any thoughts?

formulaben
8 hours ago, LakePal said:

I am fairly certain its not a "in neutral" problem

To prove this theory, next time it happens move the shifter knob forward and backward with the neutral lockout engaged, meaning act like it's already running and move the knob slightly into forward and reverse while you're trying to start the motor.  If the motor starts, then your rigging for the neutral switch is off, and you'll need to adjust the barrel adjusters on the shifter.  Also, the cable connectors may be going bad...this happens all the time.  Below is mine from a few years ago, a 2002 model year.

https://skidim.com/connector-control-cable.html

2zf1qpu.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have a 2011 Malibu Wakesetter 23' LSV.  The boat has about 1070 hours on it.  It ran fine the week prior (only a battery terminal issue that caused the screen to go crazy a couple of times, but replaced the terminal and everything went back working fine).  Now I went to take it out 2 weeks later and it cranks and cranks, but won't start.  We checked and the fuel pump you can hear running.  The safety switch (with the lanyard attached to it) is connected properly.  What else could it be?  Assume something electrical would be the only other option.  It is just strange that it went from running great 2 weeks ago to not starting at all now.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is the start of a week long family lake trip:(

• 10 months later...

My 2014 Malibu won’t start. I entered my code but then hit the wrong button. The power will not come back on.  New batteries 2 weeks ago and we unhooked the batteries and re hooked them. 

it is in neutral, safety lock is on the right position and I don’t know what to do? 

How long will it be locked?