Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dumbest things You have seen on the water

White Lightning

One of my old bosses from years ago was towing 2 brand new Bu's behind a houseboat.

They see this I/O coming towards them from the front. The guy is slightly turning in towards the houseboat.

The driver and all his passengers are looking up and waving at everyone on the top of the houseboat, all the while not watching where they are going.

My boss was trying to warn them of the boats being towed behind. Driver thinks he is just waving back.

All of a sudden, WHAM! He went right over the bow of one of the new Bu's. Absolutely destroyed the boat.

I think it was a 94 Euro F3.

Boss was not a very happy camper.

All this talk of props. Not sure where my buddy dug this up. Prop across the back, and consider the guy lucky

*warning, this is very graphic. Only listing a link to the pic, not posting the pic. Not for the skirmish

You have been warned

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z439/wakebrdr94/null_zps39327555.png

Edited by wakebrdr94
MalibuNation

It is a matter of time until....

1) Someone wakesurfing an I/O gets chewed up in the prop

2) Family of said person sues everyone/every company they can think of in their period of 'grief' wih assistance of first lawyer that can get them on the phone.

3) Laws are written regulating the distance you must be behind the boat, effectively outlawing wakesurfing for Everyone, regardless of the type of boat.

RTS, number 1 has happened many times ... results weren't pretty.

The dumbest things I've seen in person were vehicles in the lake. Actually my step-dad somehow had his F-150 go in at the launch ... I wasn't with him though.

On video I'm still shaking my head on the Ghost Rider video from NC someone posted about a month ago.

MalibuNation

Last year we where at the ramp after a long day on the water. My wife backs the truck and trailer into the water and to my amazement a drunk moron pulls his I/O onto my trailer. I could not believe my eyes, my wife gets out and gives him a what for and this guy blames her. anyway I pulled up and took care of the situation. This guy's buddy pulls up in a rig that looked nothing like mine.

CB

CB

WOW

When I got back to the ramp today there was a MC there who had to be towed in because he ran out of gas.

I thought that was going to happen to me Sunday. We were in a hurry and I didn't get gas before going to the lake. We took it easy on the pulling that day - we did alot of relaxing and swimming. LOL

I need to compile a list. Most things happen at the ramp around here, husbands yelling at their wives and jackknifed trailers. Lake Lice are heavy on our lake and I am continually waving them off our wake as riders are in tow.

The other weekend we had an I/O driving clockwise on the lake yelling and flipping the bird at everyone else for getting in their way. Seems like they would have realized one was not like the rest and figured it out, but no.

• Like 1

I haven't seen one completely idiotic instance, but I've seen quite a few dumb things in my short time on Lake Austin (if you've been there, you know it's set up as good as it can be, but that's still not good enough for some people.)

I/O driver nearly hits me in the water due to facing backwards watching his tuber and not looking forward. We saw him the next weekend doing the exact same thing.

----

The most ridiculous power turns I've ever seen came from a boat pulling a barefooter. When the footer fell, the boat turned so sharp, and with so much throttle, I could see the skegs come up and out of the water... I've never seen that before.

----

We surf/wakeboard with about 25% of the lake between us and the shore. That means to our left there is 75% of the lake completely open. For some reason, people constantly pass us on the right! The lake is completely open on the other side, you're not pulling anyone, why pass on the right? I just don't get it, am I in the wrong here?

----

The dubstep, oh the dubstep, can we please have a new fad? Every now and then we'll be cruising by a boat that I guess has their stereo on mute or they're trying to find a song they like (it's silent). Then, right as we pass, their "music" starts out of NOWHERE incredibly loud. It scares the life out of me! I always think something has blown up or we've hit something. We're just cruising along quitely and then all of the sunnden, BANG ZIP WOWOWOOWOOOOWOOO DEEEUPPPP, out of nowhere at a thousand decibels (not really, but you get the point). Soon enough it'll make one of my nieces or nephews cry. Is that what you want dubsteppers? Crying children? Anyway, I've learned to make the best of it now by expecting to be impressed as they drive by. I can see a boat coming, it's got 10+ people, obviously a ton of weight, and dubstep blaring. I'm thinking, okay, this guy is going to throw some cool stuff, he's drawing all the attention to his boat. As he comes by, he cuts out out, and get this... does the BIGGEST... surface 180 I've ever seen (which he falls on btw).

----

Saw an SUV backing in their boat on a single axle trailer. The boat was about half off the trailer (backing off slowly as they should) when a pretty large roller came by. It lifted the boat off the trailer, and then of course dropped it back down right on the last half. As soon as the weight hit the end of the trailer, the tongue of it came flying off the hitch and started floating around like it had a mind of its own. I couldn't believe it! I've never seen a coupler just fly off like that... or had I???

----

Now for the best one... and this is about yours truly. We keep our boat in the back yard behind the fence (the house has a side entry driveway). Right when our drive way ends, there is small drop, maybe an inch or so. One night in my infinite wisdom I thought, I'll just unlock the trailer before it goes off the small bump that way it's ready to take off as soon as I get it in place. So I get out, unlock the coupler, and start backing up. As soon as the tires go down the small bump I hear a slight creek, a pause, and then boom! When I walked back I noticed that my trailer, boat and all, was now touching the ground. It came completely off the hitch and the coupler was sitting there in the grass. I felt like such an idiot. Somehow in a rage I picked up the front of the trailer high enough to get the jack under it so it could rest properly. My poor neighbor even came out to pretend to get something from his garage... I think he was making sure I didn't just destroy something. Sigh... I learn something new every day.

Edited by petrie141

The dubstep, oh the dubstep, can we please have a new fad? Every now and then we'll be cruising by a boat that I guess has their stereo on mute or they're trying to find a song they like (it's silent). Then, right as we pass, their "music" starts out of NOWHERE incredibly loud. It scares the life out of me! I always think something has blown up or we've hit something. We're just cruising along quitely and then all of the sunnden, BANG ZIP WOWOWOOWOOOOWOOO DEEEUPPPP, out of nowhere at a thousand decibels (not really, but you get the point). Soon enough it'll make one of my nieces or nephews cry. Is that what you want dubsteppers? Crying children? Anyway, I've learned to make the best of it now by expecting to be impressed as they drive by. I can see a boat coming, it's got 10+ people, obviously a ton of weight, and dubstep blaring. I'm thinking, okay, this guy is going to throw some cool stuff, he's drawing all the attention to his boat. As he comes by, he cuts out out, and get this... does the BIGGEST... surface 180 I've ever seen (which he falls on btw).

Just a couple weeks ago I witnessed a group trying to load their I/O onto the trailer. The driver backing up the trailer was very inexperienced. Not a big deal, but I just assumed the the boat owner was driving and sent a newb to back the trailer. Well, between all the hand waving and histrionics I figured I should stick around and offer some help...but the trailer finally got lined up and it looked like a simple power load would follow. Boy was I wrong! The driver got it all kinds of sideways and next thing you know they are 15' behind the trailer with passengers on each side of the boat in deep water trying to realign it; 2 swimmers and a turning prop! But here is where the stupidity really starts: the trailer driver hops out and gets in the middle of the trailer (in chest deep water and in between the frame and axles) and guides the bow of the boat as the driver power loads it.

• Like 2

Last year we where at the ramp after a long day on the water. My wife backs the truck and trailer into the water and to my amazement a drunk moron pulls his I/O onto my trailer. I could not believe my eyes, my wife gets out and gives him a what for and this guy blames her. anyway I pulled up and took care of the situation. This guy's buddy pulls up in a rig that looked nothing like mine.

CB

CB

That would have been pretty dang funny if your wife pulled the trailer out right when the guy was trying to load on it.

Edited by MalibuTime
  • Like 2

Last weekend we were in a quiet cove that is great for anchoring for lunch. We were swimming after eating. 4-5 other boats as well. This guy motors in towing a. 12 yr old boarder and tears up the small cove. The worst part was the jet ski jumping his wake 15' behind the rider....

This was about 25 years ago. My family had a resort and I spent the summers pumping gas and launching boats at the marina. Over the years there were so many things you see but this one was by far the best. I was helping a guy launch his boat and my brother and brother in-law were going to ski from the beach next to the ramp so we were watching them as this unfolds.

My brother is teaching brother in-law to step start on a slalom ski from the beach. The boat he is using is a very small outboard with a small engine so you need a a lot of slack to get up to speed. My brother takes off and my brother in-law steps onto the water a bit early which creates a huge jerk against the boat when the slack comes out of the line. My brother in-law does hold on to the rope and actually gets up on the ski. Here is the problem. My brother was the only one in the boat and sitting on the top of the seat looking back, when the slack come out of the line the jerk was hard enough that my brother falls out of the boat. As my brother in-law passes him in the water he realizes that no one is in the boat and lets go of the rope. The boat is now headed out on its own toward the middle of the lake. After a couple hundred yards it hits a wave which turns the steering wheel and after about two circles flips upside down and sinks. There is a small air pocket in the front of the bow so about a foot of the boat is out of the water.

I am kind of in disbelief as to what just happened. I tell the guy I am helping launch his boat, it's a wonder these tourists don't kill themselves, I better go help them out. Wasn't about to tell the guy that was my brother who grew up on the lake and should have been much smarter than that. We did manage to get the boat back to the marina, floating and the engine running before my Dad found out it was my brother that had done this.

Wish I would have had that on video.

Kris

This sounds like a textbook case of "we'll look back on this later and laugh". What a story!