Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dumbest things You have seen on the water

White Lightning

Don't know if anyone ever started a thread like this but I saw what I consider to be one of the dumbest things I have seen on the water. Saw a guy trying to surf behind an I/O. Had no ballast and was on the goofy foot side as a regular rider. Wave was of course tiny and completely washed out. I was just waiting for the news to announce that a guy had lost his arm or face at our lake after the long weekend! Not only did he do this but of course he was a hazard on the water as well. Came within 20' of my 5 year old nephew learning to ski. :Frustrated: Love to hear everyone's stories.

I visit the worlds dumbest boat ramp every weekend. This ramp has no no-wake zone, so it's common to have people tubing within 50 feet of the ramp, drag racing hot boats in front of the ramp, jet skis doing donuts in front of the ramp, morons diving from the ramp as you are pulling in to your trailer, etc.

• Like 2

It is a matter of time until....

1) Someone wakesurfing an I/O gets chewed up in the prop

2) Family of said person sues everyone/every company they can think of in their period of 'grief' wih assistance of first lawyer that can get them on the phone.

3) Laws are written regulating the distance you must be behind the boat, effectively outlawing wakesurfing for Everyone, regardless of the type of boat.

This summer I saw a pontoon underway,with 2 girls riding with their feet dangling over the front, into the waves as they went by. Later that evening same pontoon, same 2 girls, in the same position - only this time they had lost their bikinis. Not only a danger to themselves...but to unassuming others!

As in "My mother called me Francis once. Once." ?

I wanted to end my sentence at PWC. but didn't want to offend the proper operators haha

Edit: and he's not around anymore.

Edited by mnhays

Off The top Of My Head.. I've Seen Many Boats Left On And OR Still In Drive After Being trailered Up And Out Of The Water For A Few Minutes. Don't Worry, More Events Will Come To Me

• Like 1

I figured most everything on this thread would be related to the boat launch. Late last year we had a guy pull a doosie. Our ramp is a single lane, big circle. You pull down this big hill, around a sharp corner, into a circle & the ramp is about midway thru the circle. The entire thing is a single lane with no way to pass each other. So this Russian guy who speaks no English, pulls his boat up to the dock, ties up & then walks up the hill to get his truck. There had to be 5 or 6 other guys there waiting to use the ramp. My buddies truck happened to be next, so he backs the trailer down the ramp, and I begin my approach to put the boat on the trailer. The Russian guy's partner in the boat gets all hot & bothered & says (in crappy, broken English) that they are next, and we are cutting in line. I'm 20' away from the trailer & debated on just goin for it, but I'm in no hurry & decide to see how big a dumbass this guy is. So I back the boat off & tell him to go ahead & load his boat (our trailer is on the ramp at the moment). He sees that & decides that everyone should move out of their way so he can load his boat, unties his boat & pushes away from the dock. He tries to start his boat & I see my opportunity.... & scoot the boat up on the trailer where we hook it up & pull out in like 30 seconds. The guy gets HOT & starts yelling at us in Russian. He can't get his boat started so he's 15' or 20' off the dock, yelling, hands waving, etc. We just pulled out & went home laughing our heads off. Later we found out that they took it out on the other guys at the ramp & made them pull around the circle till they were next up. The language barrier was so bad, I guess no one argued with them.

I know a guy who surfs behind a SeaRay I/O all the time. His boat has a swimstep on the back, just like our inboards. So his prop is pretty far underneath there. Seems like it would be tough to slide in there & get hit by the prop. There are a dozen other things I don't like about it..... cheap interior, swimstep is 8" above the water, no speed control, crappy throttle, etc.

• Like 1

I saw a guy on a PWC take a massive high-side crash over the handle bars after burying the nose into someone's wake a few weeks back. I actually stopped laughing long enough to get up and make sure he wasn't dead. Took him a solid 5 minutes to gather himself after literally dragging his kiester back onto the PWC. Wish I had video.

A guy puts the boat on the trailer which has roller instead of carpet. he attaches the winch, winds it up, jumps in his truck and puls the boat out.. But he didn't latch the winch! And he left his sterndrive down. So the sterndrive hits, he winch begins to unwind, boat comes off the trailer rest completely on the concrete. The ramp was wide enough for two boats but since he went right in the middle... nobody could get in or out. It took 20 Guys to shove his boat back in the water

Well, couple days ago we were surfing on the river and we saw a PWC blew by us haulin a**. The driver was probably 9-10yrs old at best and he can barely see over the handlebar and looked sketchy as he getting bucked from the waves. We approached the parents who were chillin out on the beach and politely ask whether their son should be allowed operating a PWC without adult supervision. The douche bag parents comment was "he's been riding for 8yrs" and we were just puzzled and left.

Later we saw the kid came back to the beach and try to beach the PWC slowly and practically just about run over his dad. So much for his "experience"

Some nights I just need to set up the GoPro at the Ramp. From the parents who let their kids swim right in the launch lanes; while they fish the same lanes and snag their $20 bass lure on your prop; to said kids who pull logs and barrels into the launch lanes to play; the I/O's and bass boats leaving lower units down; the guy last week in the big duelly truck backing his tiny 10ft John boat trailer, speeding down the ramp, jack knifing his trailer, trying to be the first one out.

To This Guy, who somehow managed to sink his truck:

null_zps03e198b2.jpg

#boatrampblunders

• Like 3

A guy puts the boat on the trailer which has roller instead of carpet. he attaches the winch, winds it up, jumps in his truck and puls the boat out.. But he didn't latch the winch! And he left his sterndrive down. So the sterndrive hits, he winch begins to unwind, boat comes off the trailer rest completely on the concrete. The ramp was wide enough for two boats but since he went right in the middle... nobody could get in or out. It took 20 Guys to shove his boat back in the water

I've seen that too.

I saw an airplane drag its landing gear in the lake about 100" from my boat with my kids in the boat. He did this 3 times showing off for another guy I know who is a pilot. So many things could have gone wrong. Still makes me mad to this day.

Shasta, last summer, first day on the water. We have the boats on the trailers, pulling to Hirz Bay launch. First 3 locals we see.......

- First local we see is standing next to an old Chevy Blazer, all camoed out, rear shell is gone, & in it's place is a giant cage, like 8' high. We called him the Bear Hunter.

- Second local, just down the road, is an oriental guy, no shirt, super buffed, long hair in a pony tail, wearing black baggy pants like the wrestlers used to wear. We named him the Samarai.

We're crackin up & wondering who could be next.

- As we pull down to the Hirz Bay launch, we come around the last corner & this old guy is running up the hill towards his, he's freaking out, talking really loud & waving his hands all over, says, "Hold on, PLEASE be patient" (did we look like we were in a big hurry?) "we've had an accident & it's going to take some time for us to clear things up". The guy is super out of breath & looks like he could have a heart attack any minute. So we drive slowly past him to find a Chevy S10 pickup on the ramp, driver's door open, sort of half on the dock, & half in the water. As we get closer, we can see the trailer is jackknifed under the dock and the old tinny fishing boat is in the water behind it, loaded to the gills with a ton of camping gear. A 2nd old guy is there, on his cell phone, carrying on, apparently trying to get a tow truck up there (we had two 3/4 ton trucks & could have easily pulled him out, but why spoil his fun). So we drop our boats in the lake around the mess & #2 old guy wraps up his call. He says going to have to go to his cabin & get his cell phone charger, so he jumps in his tinny fishing boat & starts to take off. But he stops & yells to us, "Hey, if anyone comes here looking for me, tell them I'll be right back!". The first thing we asked was, WHO are you??. He says, "my name is BLAZE!!"

Of course it is. :rofl:

Anyway, we decide we should stick around & watch how this ends. Before long the tow truck & Blaze are at the ramp & devise a master plan on how to get this truck out of the drink. As their pulling it out, you can hear this awful creaking, like steel on steel as the truck is high centered on the dock & the trailer is underneath it. Then Blaze says, "Hey wait, let me check the parking brake"!!

We are just howling laughing so hard. Guess he didn't think of the e-brake till AFTER the truck was in the lake. :rofl:

• Like 2

I saw an airplane drag its landing gear in the lake about 100" from my boat

Holy Moses!

100 inches!? That was one skilled pilot.

• Like 2

A guy and his kids come in from a day of tubing on his bass boat. Doesn't quite back his trailer far enough down the ramp, so he lets his 12 yr old kid back his Truck the few extra feet, while he pulls boat on. All goes well, and he hooks up boat. Kid leaves it in reverse and proceeds to back all the way in the lake. Luckily, window was open and kid got out before truck was sunk, still hooked his bass boat. Tow truck had to pull boat out, trailing the truck backwards.

A guy and his kids come in from a day of tubing on his bass boat. Doesn't quite back his trailer far enough down the ramp, so he lets his 12 yr old kid back his Truck the few extra feet, while he pulls boat on. All goes well, and he hooks up boat. Kid leaves it in reverse and proceeds to back all the way in the lake. Luckily, window was open and kid got out before truck was sunk, still hooked his bass boat. Tow truck had to pull boat out, trailing the truck backwards.

Oh that one's a bummer. Poor kid.