Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best 6.5" for Illusion(I think) Tower Cans

NCVride

Looking to get a little input on Tower Speakers. I just got my V-Ride a few weeks ago and I am starting early on making my materials list and buying stuff between now and the fall so I can get started the day it comes off the water.

Currently the boat has 2 6.5" Kickers in the tower cans. I am starting fresh and replacing all of the interior speakers, adding another amp, and replacing the tower speakers.

Anyone have any advice on the best bang for the buck 6.5" tower speakers?

When I say bang for the buck, leave WS's out of it. I know they may be the best speakers on the market, but I am trying to do this on a budget......

what's your budget and are you trying to keep the cans and just replace the speakers? What are your goals for tower speakers (sound to wakeboarder, surf sound, more music in the boat, partay cove, etc)?

what's your budget and are you trying to keep the cans and just replace the speakers? What are your goals for tower speakers (sound to wakeboarder, surf sound, more music in the boat, partay cove, etc)?

Not looking to spend $400 bucks on 2 speakers. Keeping the cans....goal would be versatile speaker......wake and surf if there is such a thing. I know some sound better 70 ft behind the boat instead of 15/20 for surfing.

Not trying to be a cheap a$$ but I have a family and toys to pay for as most of you can understand.

Kicker 6500 system won't work because the OP needs four cans.

Can you post a pic of the cans? I remember some cans of that era were really small and would limit what you could drop in.

I hate to say it out loud, but the bazooka HLCD Tubbie's are worth every penny. Do they sound GREAT? No, but they sound good.....and they are loud......and they are cheap. I bought a pair for a boat I am flipping and was surprised at how good they sound for 300.00

I forgot about the bazookas. I was going to suggest the ken land bullet lines 6.5" hlcds that are on ebay all the time but not sure if they would fit in the ops cans if he has those really shallow half-sphere cans.

Edited by shawndoggy

Cans now have Kicker DSM60. Not sure if you can see the cans in my avatar but can't get pics until next weekend.

NC,

I have a pair of those pods laying around the shop that just came off an 05 last week. I can measure the OD and ID for you. This will allow you to see what might fit based on those dimensions.

For a 6.5" HLCD raw driver, there are not many choices. Any that you find are going to be a huge sacrifice in near field sound quality, but will reach wake range with the right amount of power. if you just looking to freshen up the sound and looks and your goal is a surfing/party cove setup, then a solid pair of coaxials will do the trick. You still may need to bump up the power though.

I forgot about the bazookas. I was going to suggest the ken land bullet lines 6.5" hlcds that are on ebay all the time but not sure if they would fit in the ops cans if he has those really shallow half-sphere cans.

I am even more reluctant to mention the Ken Land Krypt speakers for political reasons, but I have also owned them and they do sound good. The big advantage with the bazookas is they come with a new enclosure. The down side is the clamps do not come with them. I paid 250.00 for the speakers and 60.00 for the clamps. Still, HLCD on the cheap does not get any better than this.

I am even more reluctant to mention the Ken Land Krypt speakers for political reasons, but I have also owned them and they do sound good. The big advantage with the bazookas is they come with a new enclosure. The down side is the clamps do not come with them. I paid 250.00 for the speakers and 60.00 for the clamps. Still, HLCD on the cheap does not get any better than this.

They look kinda like garbage cans bolted to the tower, though, right?

I like the look of these mini-keg speakers better than the bazookas:

minikegspeakers_zpscf78493c.jpg

thread: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778364

Edited by shawndoggy

I'll do this. Next weekend when I get back to the boat I will post a pic of the cans. I have seen some of the bullet cans but mine are chrome billet cans but seem to be longer than some of those that I am finding on the net. I can just reply to the topic with the pics then maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

NCVRide,

If the old pods I have are the same as yours, which I think the odds are high, then the ID is 5.0". This leaves you some options, but not many unless you used a spacer or LED ring. The OD is 6.75", so most of the marine 6.5" speakers are going to overlap as they tend to be close to the 7.0" mark.

OP,

I've got a pair of the krypt 6.5 hlcds I took off last year if you're interested. Do your homework. I replaced hem with sxt65s which I like much better but we primarily surf and float so Sq was was more important to me. If you want loud... The krypts will do it.

• 1 month later...