Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 23 LSV BALLAST HELP

Midsouthjds88

Recently bought a 2001 23 LSV that has 0 ballast in it. Surfed for the first time yesterday and I feel like a crackhead running around trying to figure out how to best weight this boat because I want to do it again so badly. So my question is since Im starting with 0 ballast (besides some big girls) what is the best way to go about weighting this thing down for surfing and some wakeboarding? Played around with the boat yesterday moving people around and watching what the wake was looking like and got it close a couple but I know I need more weight!

Here's an old thread that touches on it.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39069-ballast-set-up-for-a-2001-23lsv/

I have the same boat and haven't tried surfing behind it so I can't offer much advice. Note, if you go with the 1100 bags there's some steps to reinforce the engine/locker panels so they don't blow out. Good luck and keep us posted if you get a good surf wake. I will probably start doing a bit of it next summer. Spent way too much money getting setup for wakeboarding this year to justify doing both.

• Like 1

I have 750s in the rear lockers and stock in the center but don't run them often. I'm a noob at boarding and typically run with 6-10 people so I can usually get a decent wake (for me) without ballast. However, when I decide I want to start progressing (and my knee feels better) I'll start running ballast and wedge.

I have 750s in the rear lockers and stock in the center but don't run them often. I'm a noob at boarding and typically run with 6-10 people so I can usually get a decent wake (for me) without ballast. However, when I decide I want to start progressing (and my knee feels better) I'll start running ballast and wedge.

I hate to admit this but I have 2 750's in the back of my boat and I've only filled one of them for surfing. I've been wakeboarding with the wedge down and a little weight up front. At 70 feet I'm clearing the wake easily and coming from my Skier, not ready for more...

PS, my boat is a 21, but my surf set up has been:

750 surf side rear full.

wedge down

~300 in the bow

I just put one of my #500's in the center locker but haven't tried it yet.

I'm really happy with the wave, still needs some tweaking but I'm pumped.

Thanks Cap and Levi. If I could figure out how to post videos on here Ive got a pretty good one of a buddy of mine riding that shows what kind of wake I got with 5 people in the boat, no wedge and no ballast.