Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing footage? (video inside)

petrie141

bs your airs are so smooth and mellow natural looking. Mine are always sorta violent and thrashy and almost always result in a turn of the board by 30* or so at least in the air.

• Like 2

Thanks Shawn. The ones there are just kinda half turns/half air attempts. I'm really just trying to pop-off on the top of the turn.....kinda feeling the board out.

I'll post a vid when I get a second of the couple true air attempts I had.... Think I got one good one on video. .....and yeah, all the Soulcraft's I've ridden definitely want to turn in the air. That was new to me. I think that tendency can be used to get some pretty sweet looking grabs tho...

Man, but when an air goes wrong on these boards?!?? Jeeesh. I feel like I got lucky about 5 times the other day with the board nearly missing me. Feel like this thing is eventually gonna get me good

Edited by -BS-
  • 2 weeks later...

NorrisMike, what I did to get more consistent on 360s was to almost pause once I get 180 and let the board ride down the wake backwards for a split second and then finishing the rotation on the way down. Slowing it down like that gave me way more control. It has also worked well when giving lessons.

Also, the biggest tip is to stick your rear hand (right hand) back into the wake once you are at 270 degrees. Your palm should be facing away from the boat, and it is almost like a paddle motion pushing you closer to the boat. This will stop your rotation as well as keep you in the pocket. It helps a ton.

You are so close. You'll get it your next trip out for sure.

Awesome vid.

Another thing to think about might be making sure you're in a balanced/defensive/athletic stance when you start the trick... Like you're getting ready to field a ground ball OR guard someone in basketball (OR getting ready to photoshop the crap out of a picture). :lol: That will keep your weight evenly balanced as you start it....

I say that because the first thing you did to initiate the trick was lean back....... on your back foot. It should start with your chin--->shoulders--->core----> then feet.

Good luck man. I knew you were a natural at this surf stuff..

Edited by -BS-

Thanks for the tips fellas.

Awesome vid.

Another thing to think about might be making sure you're in a balanced/defensive/athletic stance when you start the trick... Like you're getting ready to field a ground ball OR guard someone in basketball (OR getting ready to photoshop the crap out of a picture). :lol: That will keep your weight evenly balanced as you start it....

I say that because the first thing you did to initiate the trick was lean back....... on your back foot. It should start with your chin--->shoulders--->core----> then feet.

Good luck man. I knew you were a natural at this surf stuff..

I see what you mean. I think I need to get lower for sure and I need to initiate with my chin. I didn't get to read this until I got back in today. I can definitely see what I am doing wrong in the videos! I will post them up when they upload.

I am liking the Tsunami.

NorrisMike, what I did to get more consistent on 360s was to almost pause once I get 180 and let the board ride down the wake backwards for a split second and then finishing the rotation on the way down. Slowing it down like that gave me way more control. It has also worked well when giving lessons.

Also, the biggest tip is to stick your rear hand (right hand) back into the wake once you are at 270 degrees. Your palm should be facing away from the boat, and it is almost like a paddle motion pushing you closer to the boat. This will stop your rotation as well as keep you in the pocket. It helps a ton.

You are so close. You'll get it your next trip out for sure.

I tried the pause thing and I think it helped. My first few attempts were the best and then I started over thinking things. I think sticking my hand back in the wake will help me stay in a lower position. Even when I come in "lower" it seems I finish standing upright and without balance.

I didn't stick any today but getting closer.

Yeah overthinking is the worst. Paralysis by analysis. I usually pick one or 2 simple things to think about, then once those start becoming habit, work on the next part. Takes a really talented rider to work on a bunch of stuff at once. Things just happen slower in more experienced riders' heads. Everything happens too fast for the less experienced.

• Like 2

Yea the first few attempts all I was thinking about was turning up the wave and pausing half way. Those were my best you will see in the vid. Downhill from there. Paralysis by analysis - that's me. I like that saying and I think it's probably very common.

Funny I am the same way with golf. I am usually pretty decent out of the box. First few holes go well for me then my brain kicks into overdrive and its all downhill. Literally happens to me every time I've played.

Its not until things become 2nd nature do they really start to flow. It's like that for me with hydrofoiling now. I'm fine 90% of the time but there is that 10% when I over-think something and it becomes an ugly situation

Here is the video from yesterday. Not in any order. I threw in some shots for the slalom crowd too... they are a tough bunch. I think at least one I should have rode away but I was stunned that I made it around and froze...HAHAA

Did I mention I'm loving this GoPro? After all these years of NOT having one! They are pretty awesome to play with for us water sports enthusiasts.

BS the slalom footage (with the boat in picture) was from a few weeks ago. You can see less leaves on the trees :)

Edited by NorrisMike

Yea the first few attempts all I was thinking about was turning up the wave and pausing half way. Those were my best you will see in the vid. Downhill from there. Paralysis by analysis - that's me. I like that saying and I think it's probably very common.

Funny I am the same way with golf. I am usually pretty decent out of the box. First few holes go well for me then my brain kicks into overdrive and its all downhill. Literally happens to me every time I've played.

Its not until things become 2nd nature do they really start to flow. It's like that for me with hydrofoiling now. I'm fine 90% of the time but there is that 10% when I over-think something and it becomes an ugly situation

Here is the video from yesterday. Not in any order. I threw in some shots for the slalom crowd too... they are a tough bunch. I think at least one I should have rode away but I was stunned that I made it around and froze...HAHAA

Did I mention I'm loving this GoPro? After all these years of NOT having one! They are pretty awesome to play with for us water sports enthusiasts.

I can see a little of the swim platform and it looks just like yours -BS-

I think he is trying to pull a fast one.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah buddy! So great. I can't freaking believe I got off the boat for 20 minutes and then THAT happened. Really awesome from our perspective tho: seeing you ride by, then just barely out of camera range we all heard the big cheer and knew exactly what we missed. We all stood up and were like "daaaamn, he got it!!!"

It was a good feeling. Man it took me waaaaay too long. Last season I was pretty flat. I feel things are coming together this season. The big turns are coming around too. ( I think anyway :lol: )

Also, I have settled on keeping my board for a good long time. I think constantly switching boards like I have has left me in the learning phase perpetually. Starting to feel really comfortable on it.