Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GFO Packing

Finally got my new (to me) SLXI out on the water today--this is going to be one fun summer!!

I did notice a bit of water coming out of the packing nut--more than the one drop every ten seconds--more like a steady stream. I am going to try to adjust, but want to consider the GFO product. Does anyone know what diameter packing to order? It comes in several sizes...

Tightening the packing nut is a once a year thing that is easy to do. Unless the current packing is worn out, I would skip the GFO until it is needed.

Just my .02

Congrats on the boat. You will really like her!!!!! By the way, what prop are you running? If it is the CVP stainless (OEM standard equiptment in 00) , I would highly recomend getting a new CNC prop. The stainless does mean things to the wake at slalom speeds.

Tightening the packing nut is a once a year thing that is easy to do. Unless the current packing is worn out, I would skip the GFO until it is needed.

Just my .02

Congrats on the boat. You will really like her!!!!! By the way, what prop are you running? If it is the CVP stainless (OEM standard equiptment in 00) , I would highly recomend getting a new CNC prop. The stainless does mean things to the wake at slalom speeds.

Lakenut--you got my curiosity up, so there I am in my suit and tie when I got home crawlin' around with a flashlight to see what prop is on that baby...the things we do for love?

It looks like the stock prop was replaced with an OJ 13/14 and from what I have read, this is not the recommended prop for this boat. Of course, I ran it WOT yesterday to see what the top end was, and we got 44 on the GPS while calibrating the speedo. At the risk of hijacking my own thread...should I look for another prop??

You are probably good to go with the OJ, although 14" of pitch seems high. Is it 3 or 4 blade? Wht kind of WOT RPMS do you get? Your low end might be a little weak but I could be wrong. The only way to find out is to get behind the boat and try it out. I think Edwin had a 4 blade oj on his SLXi for a while., maybe he will show up and offer his knowledge.

My boat had the original 13X13 stainless. These props have a reputation for coming apart so I upgraded last year to one of the OJ CNC props. XMP 13X11.5 I picked up a little in the low end (according to the butt-o-meter) and gave up a hair on top end. We run right at 44 according to the gps @ 4800 RPMs. I weigh in right at 200 lbs and my wife has to go easy on me getting up with both feet in. The big difference is the softness of the wake at skiing speeds and how much smoother the CNC runs. The stainless made the rooster tail at 15 off and 32+ mph feel like a brick wall. Now it is very soft like it is supposed to be, not that it makes that big of a differnece for a shortline wannabe like me. Biggrin.gif

Edited by Lakenut

It is a 4 blade, and with 3 people in the boat we were going a bit over 44mph and turning a bit over 5 grand. I did some more checking and this prop probably did come on the boat--some of the 2000 and 2001 SLXI's came with this prop. I don't think it is the XMP, but probably is the Legend. I haven't skied behind the boat yet so I can't comment on the hardness/softness of the wake and rooster tail. We usually free ski at 22 off 34mph so I am curious to hear what others have felt with the different props. It isn't a bad idea to have a spare, so I will get another prop--just not sure which one!

Thanks to all on this forum--there is more knowledge here than I will ever need...but it sure is fun to learn!

My 99 SLxi came with a 13x13 stainless that was replaced by the previous owner with a 13x11.5. I have not felt the rev limitter kick in on the boat and can turn around 5100 rpm. Never checked the top speed with a GPS.