Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'05 VLX (Need set up to surf)

rbell14

I have factory ballast tanks on my boat (05 Wakesetter VLX) with an illusion tower and wedge. Still can't seem to surf ropeless. Couple of questions to modify the wake?

1. Should I use the wedge or not while surfing (i assume it helps the wake)

2. Do I need additional weight beyone the factory ballasts tanks?

3. Speed (I feel like 10-14 mph produces the best results)

4. Turn the boat on a slight turn or drive straight?

Thanks for suggestions on making the wake surfable

1. It's different for everyone experimentation is what it's all about.

2. Yes. Does 05 have factory front ballast? get ~400 up front. add sacs in rear lockers. at least 400 and put human weight on the surf side.

3. It's going to be much more precise than 10-14 usually in the 10.3-11.5 range where you'll find your sweet spot. once again you're going to have to tune it in.

4. I know some people that do this, but when it comes down to it, you should be weighting for a wave that is right while driving relatively straight.

You are using only the ballast on the side you surf on right?

Also, have you tried the current board behind someone else's boat to make sure it's not the board?

1. Yes, we use wedge

2. I use about 400 extra lbs of "buddy" weight on top of surf side locker

3. we go 9.8

4. either works for us - doesn't seem to make much difference.

Oh, maybe you are too far from boat. Shoot and post a video, and let the crew watch...I'm sure someone can figure it out for you.

Edited by new2Crew

I've got the same 05 VLX. Here's a video of our surf wave. Full MLS + 750 lbs rear locker on surf side + manual wedge down + 400lbs in bow + 4 people in boat going 10.3mph.

1. use the wedge.

2. Yes you need weight in addition to stock. 750 in rear locker, 400 front and in the cabin and a 250 in the walkway with human ballast all on one side.

3. 10.3-11 mph range

4. Usually drive straight but you can turn slightly into the surf side as well.

I never have my non-surf side full. From some of the posts above it's unclear if you have them full or not. Front, center, and surf side only + more weight surf side.

I never have my non-surf side full. From some of the posts above it's unclear if you have them full or not. Front, center, and surf side only + more weight surf side.

I fill all tanks, the wake imho is better, but you do want to add more counter weight than you would otherwise.

I have a 04 VLX and run full middle tank, full side tank surfer is on, wedge down, all people on same side of surfer and run at 9.5 to 9.8. I have zero issue throwing in the rope.