Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

AquaLEDs-be warned....horrible service!

cougzfan83

Here's a link to Aqualed's "about us" web page telling "Gene's" (actually the owner's name is Eugene) - where he admits at the bottom of the page as being "a little rough around the edges". LOL... Thanks for posting this - I almost ordered from them. Sometimes you get what you pay for I guess (or don't in this case!). Reminds me of a few boat dealerships I know - who kiss your butt until you buy the boat - then....

http://www.aqualeds.com/about.htm Anyway, I suspect if you had to get a lawyer (which you won't LOL) - Eugene's own admission about his "rough around the edges" wouldn't help his case!

I can't believe how many dollar-boaters we have on this forum, I feel at home! :werule:

Edited by TrickyNicky

Wow, what a piece of work this guy Gene is! I can only hope that this thread gets enough traffic to show up in a google search for "AquaLEDs"!

It's amazing that he's still in business with service like that.

I would love for our boy Gino to pop his head in and comment. He clearly has been reading these.

I'm sure his lawyer told him that wouldn't be good for the case....lol

• Like 2

Here is a before and after picture of how badly the lights tarnished.

I've probably had them out on the water 10 times, for maybe a combined 30-40 hours in the water. Mind you:

- Wiped down after each use

- Boat is always trailered; longest time at once in the water ~6 hours, normally 4 hours at a time

- Boat is garaged any time it isn't on the water. Nice attached garage, not a musty barn or anything

- Lights have very little use on them

- Boat has never been to a state with salt water, let alone in it.

Picture of the after was hard to get good lighting to get a proper picture; it actually looks a little worse in person:

Before:

photomay21194306.jpg

After:

ehit.jpg

Edited by Nitrousbird

I installed my own LED transom lights shortly after getting our 2013 VLX. Glad I ordered the Malibu OEM lights from my dealer…

But those put out crap for lighting compared to most of the aftermarket stuff that isn't from ChinaBay.

But those put out crap for lighting compared to most of the aftermarket stuff that isn't from ChinaBay.

Ya, I'm sure aftermarkets put out more light, but I was happy with the effect the OEM lights did this 4th of July (pretty much the only night of the year we take our boat out at night). I think the OEM brackets look better than any other lights out there. My wife didn't feel the cost in my time and our money for the lights was worth it for just the 4th of July, but that 1.5 hours out on our home lake in amongst the choas of the 4th of July is right up there with Christmas morning each year!!! I love it!

I had ordered Aqualeds on Monday July 8th and had not seen this post and were heading to Table Rock Lake in Missouri Friday the 11th. Before ordering I called and talked with Gene and ended up ordering gloss black coated with Green lights. Imagine the pucker factor after reading this post.

I told Gene we were leaving early Friday morning and overnighted the light to me at no additional cost. The lights came today and I installed them after work.

They look great! I will post pictures with them in the water next week.

Can't say anything but positive things about them.

http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/safetyscott1/library/?sort=3&page=1

Here is a before and after picture of how badly the lights tarnished.

I've probably had them out on the water 10 times, for maybe a combined 30-40 hours in the water. Mind you:

- Wiped down after each use

- Boat is always trailered; longest time at once in the water ~6 hours, normally 4 hours at a time

- Boat is garaged any time it isn't on the water. Nice attached garage, not a musty barn or anything

- Lights have very little use on them

- Boat has never been to a state with salt water, let alone in it.

Picture of the after was hard to get good lighting to get a proper picture; it actually looks a little worse in person:

Before:

photomay21194306.jpg

After:

ehit.jpg

I think this is pretty normal for anything containing brass.

Mine are doing the same, it wont affect performance... hands down still a much brighter light than factory oem from malibu. I have had both...that being said, if I would have known the guy was such a toole I would have went to a competitor.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered two in April and (after a month and a half) they showed up. I've been very happy with their performance (I can send a video to anyone who's interested). I noticed the tarnishing right away but to be honest I like the darker look better than the brass look.

Let me know if anyone wants some pics of them at night behind my Wakesetter.

Ryan

There's no questioning their performance. Just the dude selling them. When I ordered it took awhile to get as well, and email or phone communication was not the best on his end. I chalked it up to them being busy as it was the start if boat season, people have an off day. After this thread, I know it wasn't me worried about the customer service.

Quality for the price cannot be beat IMO. But being a tool like that, does not earn business. I'll be going another route on the next set

Seriously, he calls himself a business man, I can't believe someone would send a customer a email or post a response in a thread with words like that, YIKES! He sounds like a young punk who didn't get his way on something.

Seriously, he calls himself a business man, I can't believe someone would send a customer a email or post a response in a thread with words like that, YIKES! He sounds like a young punk who didn't get his way on something.

He said he is not a businessman, he is a machinist. (that buys Chinese LEDs and says they are made in America, apparently.) In his defense, I think there is a city in China named America.

• Like 4

I wonder how long it will be before he has to change the name of his business? (I use the term 'business' very loosely) A simple Google search for AquaLEDs will eventually have a terrible impact on raking in that $50k a day.

• Like 1

Wonder if he's stashing an iroc z behind that hummer? I'm imagining him in a pair of zubu pants with neon print, tank top, fanny pack and sporting a mullet.

Guess some people stay with the high school mentality. ..."I'm tough and bad!"

Makes you look like a d-bag when you get older.

By the way... hummers are old news and baja's are the moombas of the offshore world!

Come to Detroit, we can teach you about American muscle and............

Filing for bankruptcy at the same time!!!!!!

Edited by Rmack
  • Like 2