Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 VRide surf ballast

boomerman83

Took the bu out for the first time this season (I know it's almost July). I currently run a 750 in the rear locker and the center hard of 500 and can't seem to get even a decent surf wake. Need some pointers on how/where to add weight. Put my wife and two kids n the bow and it didn't seem to help. Wedge was up and I was had was going 11 mph. Don't know what prop I'm running off the top of my head. Any help would be appreciated.

i know every one says wedge up, but with 750 in right locker middle tank full and 3 or 4 people on the right side and one adult in the bow and manual wedge down we all can go ropeless. got a hyperlight Landlock which is a big board which also helps.

Hey...I don't surf that much but I will tell you what works best for me. I usually only have one other person so my weight is all water.

I have the 750 in surf side locker full. I have the stock mid 500 tank full. I have a plumbed in fly high bow bag under the seats in front....

can't remember how much weight it provides...(just looked it up and it says 650 but I would be shocked if I have more than 3-400 lbs in it)

I also have an old fly high that came with built in "cooler" on top....I think it holds 600 or so and I fill it up completely and put it on the surf side

seats as close to rear as possible. Lastly, I fill up two more small round bags I got from Costco years ago and put them on the surf side seats

where the observer would sit. (we all surf regular, so can't help with goofy setup). Those costco bags supposedly hold 280 each.

So for my boat it takes a lot of weight...we are definitely leaning a bunch when ready and the swim platform is under water a few inches on

surf side. And the wedge definitely helps and we always put it down. If we forget it doesn't take long to realize it...makes the wake smoother.

With this set-up the wake is pretty good for us. We can surf rope less with no problem and last time out I could still stay on the wave

pretty far back. The only board I have at the moment is the inland surfer yellow loogey and it works well. I know before I had as much

weight as I do now, I was having trouble going ropeless (before I had the yellow loogey we tried a couple of other boards). I then demo'ed

the inland Blue board...Its a lot bigger than the yellow, and was able to toss the rope immediately.

Good luck

Edited by DUKENO1

Bow 200-400 depending on how rough the water is. Center full, 750 full I have a 1100. Wedge down will make it more steep. You need more weight back surf side on the seat at least 500. If I was you I would get a 1100 and then you could just fill the 750 on the seat/floor and play with the best place to put it. Good Luck

• 8 months later...