Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stiff Steering

I have 2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX

My steering moves easy and freely when boat is idle or moving slowly. But under any power it stiffens right up. Any thoughts?

Edited by jld1960

You need a new steering cable. Lubing it won't help. You need to replace it. It's a 19 ft. I'm sure some one on here is gonna tell you where the how to resources can be found. I prefer the pull a small rope through from back to front method rather than trying to pull the new cable with the old one.

hey I had the same thing, exact same thing. I thought it was my cable as well the problem as well however not the case, my rubber box was shot.......had a new one installed and steering is good again.

check cable first if not that I recommend checking the rudder box.

because I am in the saltwater I had installed a grease nipple on the steering cable sleeve (not sure what the technical term is) think this has helped me.

When my steering cable was toast, I had the opposite effect: very hard to turn when stationary or idling forward...but steering got easier when under higher speed.

Might not be the cable. You may want to disconnect the cable from the rudder first and see if your rudder is still difficult to turn. If so, then the cable may not be the problem...

hey I had the same thing, exact same thing. I thought it was my cable as well the problem as well however not the case, my rubber box was shot.......had a new one installed and steering is good again.

check cable first if not that I recommend checking the rudder box.

because I am in the saltwater I had installed a grease nipple on the steering cable sleeve (not sure what the technical term is) think this has helped me.

how did you add the grease fitting?

I've never had to deal with this problem, but it doesn't sound like a cable if it's easy at idle speed. Does the rudder look bent toward the stern? That would make it harder to turn at speed.

While we are on this subject, I seem to only have one zerk fitting on the rudder? If there is a second one, is it on the very bottom, like touching the hull? I have something down that low but it does not feel like a zerk & it looks corroded?

Replace the cable

Takes less than 30 minutes with 2 people

Finally replaced it on our '03 WSLSV at the end of last season

Don't think it's the cable.... If so, it would be hard to turn at all speeds. Binding rudder box (with pressure while under load) is more likely. Grease might fix or there could be wear which will require parts, etc (search on rudder box....)

how did you add the grease fitting?

took sleeve off, drilled hole tapped in nipple.....I am on the salt so this really helps

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 02 response LX, my steering is super tight! at higher speeds it is easier, from the posts above i am going to go with the steering cable needs to be replaced. From just looking at it from the outside it seems pretty accessible except for under/next to the driver seat. does any one know where i can get a exploded view for assembly?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 02 response LX, my steering is super tight! at higher speeds it is easier, from the posts above i am going to go with the steering cable needs to be replaced. From just looking at it from the outside it seems pretty accessible except for under/next to the driver seat. does any one know where i can get a exploded view for assembly?

thanks

Update: changed cable, fairly simple job. Tight space to work in, but all complete within 2 hours!

Edited by Kyliv
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Just fixed the same problem in my 08 VLX, removed steering cable from pivot arm and rudder, bit of gunk in the pivot arm but nothing serious, rudder was smooth and free. isolated problem to steering cable and replaced, under 1 hour problem solved.

• 4 months later...

The original poster has not posted back as to what his problem is, or if he solved it.

I have this exact problem. When idling and at low speeds, my steering is easy cheesy. When tubing (Gasp!), I am getting a pretty good workout going around in circles. I can easily turn the rudder when it is on the trailer, but when I am driving, it is hard to turn in both directions. I have not yet looked at my 06 to see if there is a grease zerk on the inside of the rudder box. There are conflicting pieces of advice given above, some saying it could still be the steering cable, but I am leaning against that. I always thought that steering cable issues usually started when turning one direction, and are stiff at rest as well as under load.

I've got to leave for Lake Powell in 1 week, and I really don't look forward to fighting my boat this much with all of the kids we are going to have tubing around.

I have had my '01 Sunsetter VLX for 3 years now. It has always steered real easy at slow speeds and sitting still but at speed, it turned easy enough to the right but to the left was always much stiffer. First time out this season, turning to left was terrible, actually made my arms tired while zig-zagging pulling kids on the tube (yeah, I know). The rudder is tight with no play at all so I assumed I needed a cable since it could well be the original. However I decided to try to put some grease in the rudder zerks first since I had never done it and had no idea if previous owners had or not. It was a pain to get in there and I only got about 1 1/2 pumps of Green Grease in each one before the pressure built up and I didn't want to force it and do more harm than good. Next time on the water, it steered like a new boat. Both directions as easy as can be. Definitely worth the $9.99 tube of grease and the effort to reach the zerks.

I talked to Paul at Bake's. He thinks that it is normal to have some resistance when under way, and couldn't think of something that causes my symptoms. But the strain that I am getting is far more than it was last summer or 2 summers ago. I am going to order a new cable tomorrow morning, lube the rudder before I replace it, and if all else fails, I am prepared for when my steering cable does fail. Not having a steering cable go bad in 8 years would seem like pretty good luck so far, I shouldn't push it.

Thanks, Racer, for your experience.

I lubed the steering today until huge amounts of marine grease splooged out the top of the rudder.

Steering cable is ordered. I won't know until Saturday if the steering is fixed with just a lube job.

I greased my rudder 2 weeks ago. Was hard to pump in and none splooged out. gave it 2 pumps and quit. Boat stearing was very tight for about 2 or 3 of driving hours after that. Now it is back to normal 1 finger spin of the wheel if wanted. My 06 never tightened up after lube job.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a steering cable and took it to Lake Powell with me for a week of fun in the sun. My steering issues seem to have resolved with the rudder lube. Now I have a spare steering cable, but it was worth it knowing that if it got more stiff, I could fix it while on the water.

• 5 years later...
On 6/16/2014 at 3:17 PM, TBrush01SSVLX said:

I have had my '01 Sunsetter VLX for 3 years now. It has always steered real easy at slow speeds and sitting still but at speed, it turned easy enough to the right but to the left was always much stiffer. First time out this season, turning to left was terrible, actually made my arms tired while zig-zagging pulling kids on the tube (yeah, I know). The rudder is tight with no play at all so I assumed I needed a cable since it could well be the original. However I decided to try to put some grease in the rudder zerks first since I had never done it and had no idea if previous owners had or not. It was a pain to get in there and I only got about 1 1/2 pumps of Green Grease in each one before the pressure built up and I didn't want to force it and do more harm than good. Next time on the water, it steered like a new boat. Both directions as easy as can be. Definitely worth the $9.99 tube of grease and the effort to reach the zerks.

Great feedback

I literally just purchased the same boat private party today. Have a big thread going with a ton of great info from all you guys.

Question? Now that I have the boat home, noticed the steering wheel won’t easily move either direction while on trailer. Really have to crank it. You think this could be the same issue with the rudder? Maybe a little grease and we’re good.

This is my first boat so a lot to learn.

Thank You