Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Surf Gate v2

rugger

This is going to be a sick winter project! Was looking at somehow getting a new boat - but the 'Bu crew has shown me the light. Thanks for everything guys!

How did you layup, or build the molds for the gates? Or did you just glass over wood and spray them with gel?

Wow/// WTF do you do for a living??? Because that looks better than the "official" version of Surf Gate. The contours make it look like it was designed as part of the boat rather than as an "afterthought" which is what I thought about the official version...

I may have to add a power wedge, some ballast, and RuggerGate to the old Echelon and give up skiing altogether!

Seriously, can you share some further details of your lay up for the gates? I'm sure I can figure out the mounting of the actuators, its fabrication of the gates themselves that I would be intimidated to take on...

Haha -- Don't give up skiing! That's the beauty of SG, quick to go from sport to sport.

The gates are made from composite material. I had leftover materials from rebuilding my old Sunsetter years ago (MartinArcher's boat now - the '87 Setter has composite floors too). Strong, light and will never rot. Then wrapped for strength, durability and to inset my bolts/screws so they'd be invisible from the outside (I hate the look of bolt-ons, which never look stock). I'll try to dig up some pics of the process if that'd help.

What type of store should I be looking for to buy "composite" materials? I have no idea what I'd even be asking for.

I do have a shop full of woodworking equipment. Does it cut/shape just like wood?

Badger: If you haven't ever checked out McMaster.com, start there. They are incredible for prototyping and hard to find supplies/materials. Here is a link to their UHMW plastic. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/3589/=nmqs1m

They also have HDPE plastic, tons of metals, screws, specialty hinges. They ship really quick, and in small quantities/sizes. You can find specialty materials direct from suppliers that are less expensive than McMaster, but usually you have to buy in larger quantities.

Once I found McMaster, I couldn't live without them. If you do woodworking, you are going to love just browsing through their site. Their print catalog is about 10 inches thick. Rob

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Brilliant work Rugger. I am really thinking between yours and Matts builds that I need to do the same on my SSLXi. Like the way you handled the stepped transom and totally agree how easy a flat one would be.

What stroke actuators did you use in the end and what angle do the gates achieve when the actuators are fully extended?

Cheers

Brad

Yeah, 102s. But the shorter ones might have worked. They dont need to extend fully, so I can get away with a quicker change by setting them to stop short of fully extended.

• 3 weeks later...

Those look amazing! Why did you have to raise the swim platform 1/4" instead of keeping it flush with the top of the gates?

I didn't have to... just preferred to after our experiences last summer with gates.

I put quite a few hours with a manual setup before building these brackets and gates for the Lencos. My crew includes kids who love the swim deck and the gates were stepped on a lot when not in use, plus wakeboards, skis, etc. slid across the tops of them. I mentioned this as a downside to SG last summer, and some disagree which is fine. Bottom line is I worked hard on the gates and gel coat and preferred at least some clearance for protection (Malibu's OEM SGs have a shield in the fiberglass deck.) That's all -- doesn't affect performance.

I am looking at doing this mod as well. However I am planning on using aluminum and having it powder coated. I have templated the 2013 gate and all the mounting measurements and plan on starting this project in the next week or so. Do you have any thoughts or things to avoid doing that you learned from your project? Do you think the powder coated alum will work as well as the class version?

• 5 months later...

Little update since I've had a few of PMs about what switches work well. Once I started using the MA's controller the end of last summer (everyone with SG should have it), I switched to a single carling switch (instead of 2 switches for each Lenco) to have same stock Malibu look for my era. This works perfect for us because I really wanted a "Stock" look. Pulled the bezel on the dash, relocated the original bolt that holds it on, then cutout the switch hole. Popped in the new one, wired the light indicators as well, and bam -- it's permanent. Easy peasy. Otherwise you can drop it in an unused accessory switch on the dash.

We like the location, really easy for driver to switch sides while pulling for transfers, and right there to turn on or off. There's a million solutions, this is just one option I really liked. I made the decal to match the silver ink logos on the boat too.

The only thing it didn't do was help my transfers.... I still suck at heel side surfing.

photo3_zps1e8ed616.jpg

photo4_zps2fb7dca5.jpg

photo5_zps97ae6d2b.jpg

Edited by rugger
  • Like 1
martinarcher

I still can't get over how good that worked. it looks totally stock which is awesome. Now get that new LCD I sent you mounted up. I can't wait to see it! :)

For those keeping score, that is a Carling VLD1 A60B switch which is a 3 way momentary (springs back to off when not being pushed). I'm still hunting for a symmetrical switch cover for mine (it came with an odd cover). That one looks great!

martinarcher

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. You have a way with making everything look like it belongs whether it be a surf switch on a 23LSV or a floating wedge on an 87' Sunsetter. :thumbup:

It looks nice. I dig the stock look. If my temp gate works I'll b hitting you up for a sticker and Martin up for a controller. Keep up the great work.

• 2 years later...
On June 24, 2013 at 3:28 AM, rugger said:
Wish I had a 2013 but not gonna happen in near future. I updated my (wannabe) surf gate setup for my 03 23 LSV. Thanks to all those who've continued to post ideas and projects. Hope this adds something to the mix...

The plan was to simply add Lencos to last summer's basic setup -- in place of the manual push poles I was using. But it wasnt working like I thought so I made new brackets. Then I decided to make new gates that tucked in a little more since I constantly had little ones climbing all over the gates and swim deck.

Rearshot_zpsbd00a119.jpg
sideview_zpsf581b77a.jpg

schoolhouse_zps5dc56f6a.jpg

bullardsmarina_zpsa5af208a.jpg

photo1_zps4168da50.jpg

gateopen_zps39a200a0.jpg

Brackets: These are needed because of the funky shelf transom I have. They're self-contained-- so the actuator, hinge point and gate are one unit. The actuators screw into the bracket and swivel in the correct angle of the gates. The single unit allowed me to try moving them inside a bit. I might move them back to the outermost corners... Still undecided.

bracket2_zps269744ac.jpg

bracketonboat_zpsb7d193f0.jpg

gatesetup_zpsf70e35f2.jpg

Gates: I made from fiberglass and used factory gel coat. Matched the platform height, and then raised it about 1/4" so the gates sit just below it. (Added a smooth 1/4" starboard bottom to platform, cut to match). Really happy with these; they're bulletproof strong. Also added a contour shape to match the hull and keep a minimal gap between the gates and deck. I wanted more of a stock look (on a 10 year old boat).

gelcoatedgate_zps43e729c6.jpg

gelcoatfinish_zpsfe8b8bb1.jpg

surfswitch2_zpse684f1fe.jpg

surfswitch_zps6344d549.jpg

regularthroughmirror_zps3cdc8af0.jpg

chelewave_zps80c5f3b8.jpg

photo3_zps7f098f32.jpg

]

wedgeblock_zps32adddc9.jpg

wedgeangle_zps20c1d0ab.jpg

I should get you to make a setup for my 2000 23LSV. It has the same hull.

On August 12, 2016 at 1:04 PM, mbilenki said:

I should get you to make a setup for my 2000 23LSV. It has the same hull.

I'll gladly help.  I've helped a few others with that filler bracket (Although I'm sure someone out there has probably designed a better solution for that transom).   But it's a worthwhile project!  That 03 was rocking surf gate before our local dealers in Nor Cal had the 13's w/ SG.  It improved over time, especially with MA's controller.   Only failures we had were the Lencos, but were replaced via warranty.  I miss it.