Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Surf Gate v2

rugger

Impressive! Hope to see this in person at the ramp sometime.

How are you weighting your boat?

Think those pics at Bullards were 750s in rear, locker ballast and the SG thingies. My crew were non boaters and first graders -- didn't understand seating/wake etiquette. :) Sometimes we use a tube sac in the walkway or closer to the bow, but in general we don't stuff every cabinet or seat. I'd like to try though!

You're right around the corner... Maybe we should trade/borrow ballast bags/share results to get these hulls dialed in. I'll share any mistakes I find before you drill into your hull. :)

Hello Rugger,

What a nice job your gates are really nice looking ! It is like factory one! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think Malibu should really consider to make retrofit kit for the surfgate and they can be inspired with the one you did on your boat!!!

That's the proof (with martinarcher) :werule: that even on "older" boat SG could be a game changer....

Best regards from Switzerland.

Mica

martinarcher

Nice job man! Looks awesome. I got rev2 of the prototype board etched tonight. Assembly begins tomorrow. :) I'll have to update the Teakgate thread with pics tomorrow....I'm whooped and headed to bed now.

Hello Rugger,

What a nice job your gates are really nice looking ! It is like factory one! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think Malibu should really consider to make retrofit kit for the surfgate and they can be inspired with the one you did on your boat!!!

That's the proof (with martinarcher) :werule: that even on "older" boat SG could be a game changer....

Best regards from Switzerland.

Mica

Thanks. Retrofits would be nice... but I can guarantee Malibu wouldn't make a special gate for this hull anyway. That 00-03 23 LSV transom is a PIA for SG.

Nice job man! Looks awesome. I got rev2 of the prototype board etched tonight. Assembly begins tomorrow. :) I'll have to update the Teakgate thread with pics tomorrow....I'm whooped and headed to bed now.

Can't wait for the controller. You've put some serious thought into it. Let me just say I'm glad to have a friend smart enough to figure that part of it out.

Very nice! Does it spray less if the gate is deployed less?

It doesn't spray in the boat, just across the corner of the swim deck. But spray really seems to be determined by weight more than anything. The gates should get deployed the same distance/angle each time -- whatever the optimum angle is for your setup. I'm the only one who even seemed to notice it on my boat.

Maybe the 2013 SG owners can chime in on this one, I only know what my boat does and what I've seen in the SG videos. I just wanted to share that this setup sprays a little more than my original (which was more like the factory SG gates) for anyone else fabricating now.

It's not something you'll ever worry about. I suppose you could make shorter gates that are completely buried under water at surf speed, or shape the gates to divert water outward, but seriously it is not an issue. I prefered to keep them tight to the deck.

Nice work rugger. Very clean.

Thats what I was shooting for... so I appreciate it! And thanks for such a helpful site.

Rugger, that is a great looking set up and wouldn't mind checking that out in person some time.

Anytime! Btw we love the coolers. Bought two and they fit perfectly under seats. Great product so thanks for organizing that.

Looks awesome. Very nice work and great job on the transparent install. Looks as if it would been installed back in 2003.

With all the chatter in the other thread, figured it would be interesting if you could give everyone a rough cost estimate for your system so far with everything you have done.

Rugger, you and Matt both have some serious skills both producing some amazing products. I still think both of you should run for a VP position at Malibu. Given the tools and resources those guys have I could only imagine the products you two could come up with.

martinarcher

We want to be in engineering/product development!!! VP's don't get to play with the toys everyday! Man....what a job that would be working on developing killer products for Malibu everyday.....

You're funny, Rob. But I'm no rocket surgeon, that's for sure. Just willing to put in the time, and share the good and the bad.

Someday we'll all look back and laugh at our primitive posts. This stuff will surely evolve to something better. There's a lot of go-getters on the crew.

Rugger, these look fantastic! I really like the dove tail taper of the gate andhow it matches the dove tail taper of teak platform. The white gates (with your hull color) look really good! .....you've got me thinking.

How long does it take gate to deploy? 2-4 seconds? You deploy upon every start/stop?

My kids are absolutely NUTSO about surfing!

Looks awesome. Very nice work and great job on the transparent install. Looks as if it would been installed back in 2003.

With all the chatter in the other thread, figured it would be interesting if you could give everyone a rough cost estimate for your system so far with everything you have done.

Honestly TIME is the biggest cost. Hulls without the "shelf" transom are much simpler. I'm happy with the all-in-one bracket design... but it would've been much faster to screw hinges and actuators straight to the transom if I could have. Lencos, accessories, stainless material, hinges, fiberglass, gelcoat... maybe $800ish? I didn't add it up along the way so I didn't have to be accountable to myself. I also had all the tools, spray gun, etc.

Rugger, these look fantastic! I really like the dove tail taper of the gate andhow it matches the dove tail taper of teak platform. The white gates (with your hull color) look really good! .....you've got me thinking.

How long does it take gate to deploy? 2-4 seconds? You deploy upon every start/stop?

My kids are absolutely NUTSO about surfing!

Thanks, Arctic! These gates are about 4 seconds with this setup. Yes, until I get the controller, we hit the button every time to open and close. Turning sucks with it open, so it pretty much gets closed every time. The automated controller will make it even better for sure.

My kids are also starting to really enjoy surfing. And 2 of us in my family are goofy, and 2 regular (youngest will be the tie breaker but doesn't surf yet). So the SG concept is great ... It's like a Disneyland ride without waiting in line. :)

Really great setup. It looks totally factory.

My kids are also starting to really enjoy surfing. And 2 of us in my family are goofy, and 2 regular (youngest will be the tie breaker but doesn't surf yet). So the SG concept is great ... It's like a Disneyland ride without waiting in line. :)

You can tell just by watching them walk. You usually start walking with your dominant foot first. You also usually take the first step on stairs with your dominant foot. You can also tell by having them kick a ball.

Wow/// WTF do you do for a living??? Because that looks better than the "official" version of Surf Gate. The contours make it look like it was designed as part of the boat rather than as an "afterthought" which is what I thought about the official version...

I may have to add a power wedge, some ballast, and RuggerGate to the old Echelon and give up skiing altogether!

Seriously, can you share some further details of your lay up for the gates? I'm sure I can figure out the mounting of the actuators, its fabrication of the gates themselves that I would be intimidated to take on...