Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a new steering wheel

Michigan boarder

I've been crawling under the dash wiring in a sub. It's a tight spot. Occasionally I would grab the steering wheel and pull myself out. I guess it's not rated for that, and something has broken inside of it. The top portion, which used to have some give to it, now has more give than I would like. I can get by with it, but it's not right, so it's on my short list.

Any suggestions on a new wheel? I have not hit the web yet on it (always start with the crew :thumbup: ).

Edit: For search purposes, the boat is a '94 Echelon Lx

Edited by Michigan boarder

What part broke? I may have an extra steering wheel, just the wheel, not the mount or guts.

The wheel part, I'll get a pick. I doubt it will interchange though, I think the Echelons had a specific wheel design to use for Computron controls. But I'll get a pick at lunch time.

Does yours still have the computron buttons in the center pad?

Mine doesn't but if you need that wheel specifically I'd sell you my wheel and pad with no buttons for a portion of the price of a cheap Grant wheel. Just a thought, it's in great shape IIRC (been awhile since I've had her out) otherwise I wouldn't offer. We'd have to compare pics to be sure all connections are still on my wheel after the PO did the computron delete.

Otherwise if you're going aftermarket and don't need those controls built in Grant is usually cheap and Isotta like the new boats is usually not.

Edited by jk13

Also I've been dying to post this somewhere but I can't find the "online boats" thread that someone started last year.

Buy this new wheel and get your/my dream boat along with it!

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=23834

post-12034-0-21766800-1371744105_thumb.j

AAAGH! I just noticed the snaps for the cover! Nooooooo.

Also I've been dying to post this somewhere but I can't find the "online boats" thread that someone started last year.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=23834

attachicon.gifRLXi silver T3.jpg

I suppose I could get past the snaps. I suppose. But it's a little over budget for a steering wheel.

Does yours still have the computron buttons in the center pad?

Mine doesn't but if you need that wheel specifically I'd sell you my wheel and pad with no buttons for a portion of the price of a cheap Grant wheel. Just a thought, it's in great shape IIRC (been awhile since I've had her out) otherwise I wouldn't offer. We'd have to compare pics to be sure all connections are still on my wheel after the PO did the computron delete.

Otherwise if you're going aftermarket and don't need those controls built in Grant is usually cheap and Isotta like the new boats is usually not.

Yep, here's my wheel. I can swap out the pad if I can get the computron to work. If not, it would be nice to have a pad without inoperable buttons.

post-8942-0-50009700-1371748672_thumb.jp

attachicon.gifRLXi silver T3.jpg

I need to play the lottery tonight, I'd get over the snaps...

So, to not totally de-rail this thread, Grant is a very decent low $$ option; I even got the bowtie center cap with the horn button and connected it to my (underdeck) dual chrome trumpet horns for my old '87 Skier

MB, If you're interested in going that route and trying to save the computron I can get pics of mine tomorrow. Hockey game tonight so I won't be home til after dark. I guess I'd have to take the pad off the front to check how the clock spring wiring works and if mine is still usable.

DWhynot: that's what I'd do with mine, use the center button for horn. I still need to remake the dash panels and get rid of all the non-functioning computron leftovers so I'd delete that horn button too.

As for the snaps on the Silver Anniversary, I'd get over it too. Even supermodels make questionable decisions sometimes. At least they're on the edge of the black so you could fill the holes and run a 1/2" black vinyl stripe over it if you didn't want to re-gel coat it to get rid of them.

MB, If you're interested in going that route and trying to save the computron I can get pics of mine tomorrow. Hockey game tonight so I won't be home til after dark. I guess I'd have to take the pad off the front to check how the clock spring wiring works and if mine is still usable.

DWhynot: that's what I'd do with mine, use the center button for horn. I still need to remake the dash panels and get rid of all the non-functioning computron leftovers so I'd delete that horn button too.

As for the snaps on the Silver Anniversary, I'd get over it too. Even supermodels make questionable decisions sometimes. At least they're on the edge of the black so you could fill the holes and run a 1/2" black vinyl stripe over it if you didn't want to re-gel coat it to get rid of them.

You lost me with "clock spring wiring".

If you've got the wheel, with or without the center deal I'd be interested. Assuming mine would just pop right in yours. I should give up on the computron but I've got most of the functions working still. And AdeL gave me some of his stuff from when he re-did his dash, so I've got some limp-along parts too.

If it doesn't all work out...those Grant wheels look pretty sweet!

I guess I'm not sure if there is a clock spring, contact rings, or a coiled wire for those buttons on our boats. All three are just ways to connect wires when you have a spinning object like a steering wheel to keep wires from breaking. It's all probably contained behind the wheel anyway, just like to make sure it'll work.

Will post pics in the next day or two. Just seeing how quickly and how much $$ it will take to get me a wheel to replace it with. So far the price is right, just that none of my suppliers have one in stock right meow.

Edited by jk13

If you are interested in the factory wheel off of our '01, it will be for sale very soon. I have an Isotta Vallelunga (factory wheel from somewhere around '03-'07) that should be here by the end of next week or early the week after that. Once I get it swapped mine will be up for immediate sale.

I guess I'm not sure if there is a clock spring, contact rings, or a coiled wire for those buttons on our boats. All three are just ways to connect wires when you have a spinning object like a steering wheel to keep wires from breaking. It's all probably contained behind the wheel anyway, just like to make sure it'll work.

Will post pics in the next day or two. Just seeing how quickly and how much $$ it will take to get me a wheel to replace it with. So far the price is right, just that none of my suppliers have one in stock right meow.

Gotcha. Actually mine has no wiring, and pretty sure AdeL's did not either. I think it's a radio transmitted signal from the buttons. I'll post a pic of the back of my board.

If you are interested in the factory wheel off of our '01, it will be for sale very soon. I have an Isotta Vallelunga (factory wheel from somewhere around '03-'07) that should be here by the end of next week or early the week after that. Once I get it swapped mine will be up for immediate sale.

Hey, that might be something. Will it fit my boat? Got a pic/price?

This is the best website in the whole world. Here's that pic:

post-8942-0-54133900-1371760109_thumb.jp

Hey, that might be something. Will it fit my boat? Got a pic/price?

No clue if it will fit your boat. Haven't even thought about a price yet. Here are a couple of pics...I don't have anything online that is a 100% direct shot of it (I'm on vacation currently so I can't for another week).

photomar14175828.jpg

dsc03953d.jpg

dsc02907u.jpg

Gotcha. Actually mine has no wiring, and pretty sure AdeL's did not either. I think it's a radio transmitted signal from the buttons. I'll post a pic of the back of my board.

Yep wireless. That makes things easy.

Nitrous, I like the looks of that wheel. That would look good with my dash & boat.

JK, I would like to do the upgraded look to Nitrous' wheel, but if that doesn't fit I would definitely be interested in yours. Do you know the shaft size? And are the Echelon shafts splined?

I've never had mine off, I need a puller to get the wheel off, correct?

Well I looked at it a bit but didn't have any pullers here at home to take my wheel all the way off. Center pads are interchangeable for sure if the newer wheel doesn't work.

post-12034-0-03164500-1371871394_thumb.j

I know the bolt in the dash is missing. It's on the floor. And everything's dirty. And the vinyl has a rip. I don't want to talk about it.

I also found while pulling on my wheel that my whole grey dash pod is loose. And that's okay because I want to build a whole new one in three pieces that is lower and cleaner looking. Hate the big bubble look from the front. Currently looking for new gauges and we'll do the dash build this winter I hope.

post-12034-0-18775700-1371871704_thumb.j

There is the center stud with the nut off. Can't see any splines from the front or the back. Wheel is plastic other than the center mounting point so may have to use a ball joint fork to get it off. Have to move the Morse boot off the column first so it doesn't get damaged.

I bet martinarcher knows what adapter is needed to get to the 6 bolt pattern on nitrousbird's wheel.

Thanks for the pics JK. I took the cover and nut off too last night. That's about as far as I got, can'f figure out the rest (didn't really have time).

And don't worry about the condition of your boat. Most of my bolts are stripped and just sitting in there. The whole pod is loose too, and there are some small rips on it. I keep saying it, but that dash rebuild is going to happen sometime soon for me too. It's the ugliest part of my boat, and the only thing I really don't like about it.

John,

With all the work you've been putting in the boat have you been out yet?

She will finally get wet this weekend, on Saturday. Hey, at least it's not July yet. I haven't been footing, boarding, anything. Too much other stuff going on, but hoping to change that once I get the boat on the lift.