Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Juss a lil' sumpin sumpn.

Bawshogg

Cant wait to see this boat in person, You have done an awesome job customizing and making it your own!!

We need to get the local group of us together one of these days soon - even if just out on the Willamette??

• Like 2

Big pods and direct radiating tweeters? Do tell.

Ahh, yes....Something I have longed for for a quite some time. My goal with this system was all SQ related, and something that was enjoyable to the listners IN the boat. There is always more of them in the boat, than behind.

SXT9Q's?

Nice work on the mod!

Not quite, but in a round about way....yes. These are all hand built from components of the XM9 and SXT65 of sorts. Kind of funny actually. Like a hermaphrodite. I am lucky to have the Exile boys in my backyard to be able to pull these off. About three years ago when the XM9 first dropped I was all over these guys for something like this, shearly because I absolutley loved the performance of the SXT65. One of Audio guru guys over there was very against it ..... Most of his precautions had to do with the size of the tweeter and it being able to keep up with the mid-bass driver in an open field.

Needless to say, after three seasons of poking and proding I finally got them to agree to helping me put somthing together. It was A LOT of work, but it's had rave reviews from everyone that has had a chance to listen so far (even in a horizontal array, audio guys). I think you will see a production verson of these soon. But please don't blow the Exile guys up yet as these are the ONLY speakers of this type currently.

As far as hearing them behind the boat......The horn debate to me is done. I primarily surf these days and with the surface area this bad boys have (8.37" to be exact) :rofl: I have absouletly NO issues haring the jams at 20 ft back.

Hey nice work. What did you do to prep the speaker? Looking to paint my xm7's as well.

Prep is pretty simple. The cans are already painted 2 stage automotive grade paint. Lightly scuff with a fine Scotchbrite pad. Clean with wax and grease remover. 2 coats of PPG sealer pimer. Then goes on the PPG Arctic white, or the color of your choice. Little clear and your done. :clap:

Normally I'm not a fan of any more than 4 tower speakers but that setup looks fantastic :thumbup:

Dude, The 247 is such a big boat, 4 towers look miniscule up there. I dunno about the IX, but the G3 is a much taller, larger tower on the 247 vs VLX. I am 5 10" and can walk under those speakers on the 247. No way on a VLX, thats a headache waiting to happen.

• Like 1

Good on ya for tryin' it. On the one hand, I hate those "Can't be done" guys. You just know there's some dumb-a** at Sony that said they shouldn't make a digital music player. It's not as if nobody has made an 8" two way before. On the other hand, I wonder how they sound in a system without a redonculas number of drivers. I'd be willing to take two and give her a go. I've been thinking about trying a single WS410.

Only downfall of the REV410 is it will have to be run mono. I know, I have heard the debate a hundered times and completely agree when getting sound 80ft to th rider it realy dont matter.But when you look at it from an SQ standpoint. The near field and in boat sound quality will suffer. REV410 still has a giant ear shattering HLCD in the center.

Me personally, I am over the hype of the HLCD these day. Heard them all and none of them sound as good ENOUGH for my preferences.

Had a set of Pro80's for a while and recently heard a set of Rev10's, rip your face off loud and make your ears bleed, yes, annoying for cabin passengers, usually, SQ, terrible. I'm done chasing "it".

Only downfall of the REV410 is it will have to be run mono. I know, I have heard the debate a hundered times and completely agree when getting sound 80ft to th rider it realy dont matter.But when you look at it from an SQ standpoint. The near field and in boat sound quality will suffer. REV410 still has a giant ear shattering HLCD in the center.

Me personally, I am over the hype of the HLCD these day. Heard them all and none of them sound as good ENOUGH for my preferences.

Gotcha. I do want to maintain the illusion of stereo separation but I need more. My minimalist SQ approach has sever limits. Any chance there's parts left over for two more?

Good on ya for tryin' it. On the one hand, I hate those "Can't be done" guys. You just know there's some dumb-a** at Sony that said they shouldn't make a digital music player. It's not as if nobody has made an 8" two way before. On the other hand, I wonder how they sound in a system without a redonculas number of drivers. I'd be willing to take two and give her a go. I've been thinking about trying a single WS410.

The Exile guys and "can't be done" are complete strangers.

Very interesting to see how people's tastes change over the years. With an 8 month old and the chatty moms/ladies on the boat, we rarely turn it up anymore.

I am happy with my Rev 10's and their ability to sound good at low to moderate volume. If I ever did another system - I'd certainly look at the Non HLCD market.

• Like 1