Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VLX speaker wiring setup - Speaker problems

tabs

Anyone know how the speakers are wired in a 2007 VLX sound pack 3? Recently my dash and bow speakers stopped working and I want to investigate why but I am unsure of where to start as I thought all the cabin speakers are wired off of one amp so it is puzzling me?

I assume you have 3 amps as you have the sound pack 3. I have a 2008 and just went through a system update. You should have a 4 channel amp under the passenger area. It will be the one driving your cabin setup. You will have 4 RCA inputs into this amp. Front and rear both with a left/right. Unplug the rca inputs and swap them front to rear/rear to front and see if the speakers work again. If this does not work, then the signal is not passing through the amp or the output wires to the speakers. After the first test, swap the output wires at the amp front to rear and see if the speakers work if they do not you have a wiring problem to the front 4 speakers, which is rather unlikely as there are 4 sets. First of all do a once over and make sure all connections at the amp both RCA and speaker wires are tight. This all assumes that you have not made any changes to the system (ie gains or other adjustments)

Take a look at the speaker wire connections to your amps and try switching to known-good channels as well. You could of course have a bad connection there, but you could also have an amp channel that's gone bad.

I bought my 2005 VLX used last year and it had a bunch of factory Sony components - one 4-channel amp powering 6 in-boats and another powering 2 tower speakers and a 8" Kicker sub (which I'm guessing was aftermarket). The bow and windshield speakers are wired together somewhere as they run off one pair of channels. I presume in they're in parallel but I'm not sure exactly where they're 'tied together.'

When i got the boat the rear port side speaker was out and the rear starboard one was crackling. I checked the connections and swapped the speakers with each other and then with others. No difference so I assumed there was a problem with the wiring somewhere that I couldn't see. I ran new wires to the speaker that was out but that did nothing as well. That's when I finally tried connecting those two speakers to other amp channels (and vice versa) and found that the two they'd been running off were the problem. Certainly wish I'd thought to try that sooner before jumping to conclusions on the wiring. Pretty sure I swapped the RCA's around early on to check those as well, but who knows now that I think of it. Those amps literally look like they'd started to melt at some point so I was happy to pull the, out last week...that is of course until I discovered the giant rust spots they'd left on the carpet of the back wall in that compartment!