Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you keep your fingers and toes warm in cold water?

jpk

OK, so I'm getting full length suits so I can go out on the water soon, but not sure if that will matter much if I can't hold onto a handle or feel my feet. Even a dry suit doesn't cover your hands and feet, so what are folks doing to stay comfortable when going out on cold water?

Unfortunately hands and feet are going to be cold. You can soak your gloves in hot water before putting them on, but the minute you dunk them in the cold water it's over. Bring along a cooler with warm water for when you are done (or a hot water shower) to warm up the hands and feet. The good news is, at least in my experience, water in the mid 40's is about the cutoff between skiing till you are tired, and skiing till your hands and feet hurt....this of course with a drysuit. Never tried a wetsuit in those temps.

OK, so I'm getting full length suits so I can go out on the water soon, but not sure if that will matter much if I can't hold onto a handle or feel my feet. Even a dry suit doesn't cover your hands and feet, so what are folks doing to stay comfortable when going out on cold water?

I've used a pair of full-fingered ski gloves for the hands. It at least keeps the wind-chill off of them. For the feet, the bindings cover most of the foot, but the toes do go numb. I've seen a fully closed toe binding, but not really worth changing for me. I just suck it up and stick the heater at my feet when I get out.

--Robert

Edited by notoutenough

You can get neoprene gloves and socks. They really do help. My wife also wears a neoprene hood from O'Neill. The hot water shower and the heater help after you are back in the boat.

Coldest my water usually gets is the high 40'sF - so take it with a grain of salt :)

The full fingered gloves help a lot. I keep my boots really tight, so my toes are the only thing that get cold. Dry 'em off, shower 'em up and keep the heater on 'em when in the boat.

I've been using a pair of those Chota cold water gloves (got them at Overton's) if it's REAL cold. They work really well, but are kind of thick. In warmer water (45+), I just use a set of 3/4 neoprenes. With those, you have to put your fingers in your mouth on the turnarounds to bring the feeling back. Biggrin.gif

No suggestions for feet. I can't imagine trying to jam a pair of neoprene booties into a set of bindings.

some tricks I learned from year round skiers at the local pond:

hands: Try latex gloves underneath your ski gloves - it will help keep the cold water directly off your hands. the thinner the better - when I tried thicker gloves the material tended to bunch up and pinch my hands.

feet: not much you can do here except put some hot water in the bindings in advance. Some people have gone with dry socks. I no longer have any problems - my FM66 hard shell liners stay nice and toasty after soaking in hot water.

head: latex swim cap works great. Others use the oneill caps. I found the full hood to be a PITA (water getting sucked in around the neck).

Edited by Addictedto6

You can get neoprene gloves and socks. They really do help. My wife also wears a neoprene hood from O'Neill. The hot water shower and the heater help after you are back in the boat.

What he said, you wouldn't believe how much difference the neoprene makes.

I just ordered some Jet Pilot neoprene gloves. I'll see how those work.

Anyone know where to find the neoprene socks? Think maybe a new closed toe wakeboard binding would work just as well? I was thinking about getting the new Murray boots anyways.

The latex gloves work well. I have even resorted to using a set of latex kitchen gloves - the kind that go half way up your forearm. This allows you tuck the latex under the seal of your drysuit. A bit of a bear to get on, but it buys you a few extra sets before your hands freeze. Just put your ski gloves on right over top of the latex.

The neoprene gloves, though warmer, feel too sloppy to me, I can't get any grip on the handle.

The feet? Who needs feeling? That's why skiboats have such a low freeboard, you can simply drag your lifeless limbs over the back seat when you're done.

Neoprene gloves are nice for when you are out but you have to find the right ones that fit. They are sometimes cumbersome. That being said, when you get some that fit they will be good for when you are behind the boat but get some for when you get done while other folks are riding.

I purchased some neoprene ice fishing gloves that I wear when I am done. It keeps my hands nice and warm even though they are wet. They were about $10 at Gander Mountain.

Also the shower is well worth the investment. I installed my own in less than 1 hour. That includes spending 30 minutes second guessing every move.

My wife just got some Execute neo socks from Active Water Sports. One key with the neo socks is to put the tops inside the drysuit.

Do you have a link to the Active Water Sports website?

I've been using a pair of those Chota cold water gloves (got them at Overton's) if it's REAL cold. They work really well, but are kind of thick. In warmer water (45+), I just use a set of 3/4 neoprenes. With those, you have to put your fingers in your mouth on the turnarounds to bring the feeling back. Biggrin.gif

No suggestions for feet. I can't imagine trying to jam a pair of neoprene booties into a set of bindings.

Found a pair of thin neopreen socks at a Kayak store. They fit into the ski bindings tightly, but they fit, and they do help.

Dry suit is the only way to go and the Chota gloves are as good as you will get. Neopreen hoodis a must. Look like a dork but you'll be relatively comfortable and skiing. Biggest plus on cold water skiing: very few wallys.

If you're wearing a dry suit, Slip bread bags over your feet before putting on the suit. Not much for insulation, but will keep the water & wind off the toes.

The latex glove trick works very well and for the feet I use a pair of thin rubber boots. Overtons used to sell them, don't know if they still do.