Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Biggest baddest SUV tow vehicle for under $15k?

shawndoggy

We had overheating issues with a Jeep years ago and what we did to finally get it fixed was a new high capacity radiator. We also added a separate tranny cooler with a fan and deleted the tranny fluid from the radiator. The other "normal" fix would be to re gear the Jeep, but my dad didn't want to spend the money to do that.

Can you guys import diesel RHD SUVs from Australia? A lot of people use the Toyota surf (4runner diesel) or LandCruiser diesel.

We worked on a R34 Skyline and all we kept reciting Judge Smail's line from Caddyshack "You put that steering wheel back over here where it belongs." :lol:

Big hassle to import RHD cars unless you deal with one of the few companies that handle the paperwork for you. Probably not worth it financially.

I'm pretty sure my neighbors would hate on me pretty good if I had a giant van parked out front all the time. ugh do I need to upgrade my house too?

Now your sounding like a Californian. :biggrin:

That thing is B.A.

That thing needs a little wing on the top and a swooping red stripe down the side. "Pity da fool...."

• Like 2

This one has a v10, and 73,000 on the clock for $8,900:

945535717.jpg

My neighbors would LOVE me!

Does it seat more than 5 ppl? That would be so much fun on a boys weekend!!!

This one has a 7.3.... man if I needed a burning man project vehicle....

700909629.jpg

think how easy it'd be to get the full size BBQ in the back with that wheelchair lift!

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

In all seriousness, add the trans cooler. You will be amazed how much it fixes your issue. By removing the hot trans fluid from the cooling system (or at least pre cooling it)you will probably find the issue fixed. And for about $200-$250 it's not too much of an expense compared to all the other options.

In all seriousness, add the trans cooler. You will be amazed how much it fixes your issue. By removing the hot trans fluid from the cooling system (or at least pre cooling it)you will probably find the issue fixed. And for about $200-$250 it's not too much of an expense compared to all the other options.

His truck is equipped with tow package and has an external cooler. Adding another would help but probably only minimally.

His truck is equipped with tow package and has an external cooler. Adding another would help but probably only minimally.

But if the factory tranny cooler is in front of the radiator, it does impact it quite a bit. I put a tranny cooler away from the radiator and gave the tc its own dedicated fan and solved our over heating problem.

Oops, it's 9,000, not 9,900. Even so, I'm still very dubious that my boat weighs even 7,600 on the trailer.

You start with the GCVWR and start deducting, but it probably does not matter because you would be over the CCC and RAWR of the truck. The numbers never work out to tow anywhere near maximum capacity in the real world.

• Like 1

But if the factory tranny cooler is in front of the radiator, it does impact it quite a bit. I put a tranny cooler away from the radiator and gave the tc its own dedicated fan and solved our over heating problem.

I would agree with this. The transmission fluid can get very hot very quickly when pulling up grades. Bigger rad, bigger cooler, bigger fan or any combination would definitely help.

That thing needs a little wing on the top and a swooping red stripe down the side. "Pity da fool...."

Who be drivn' a Furd...

Early V-10's are no match for the 8.1, not a bad engine just lacked power/torque comparatively.

Here is an '04 burb.

2nd gear WOT...this vehicle is clearly not designed for this kind of towing. I wouldn't spend a dime on it, get a tow vehicle you don't need to monkey with because it's designed to tow.

I wouldn't say the QX isn't designed to tow, it is just being put at the extremes of its abilities. I could hook that burb you posted to a 12000# load and likely see a similar outcome. Vehicles can only do so much when nearing their ratings. The 8.1 will throw down some serious umph though.

• Like 1

Who be drivn' a Furd...

Early V-10's are no match for the 8.1, not a bad engine just lacked power/torque comparatively.

Here is an '04 burb.

2nd gear WOT...this vehicle is clearly not designed for this kind of towing. I wouldn't spend a dime on it, get a tow vehicle you don't need to monkey with because it's designed to tow.

A suburban 2500 w/8.1 is going to be your best/cheapest bet.

I wouldn't say the QX isn't designed to tow, it is just being put at the extremes of its abilities. I could hook that burb you posted to a 12000# load and likely see a similar outcome. Vehicles can only do so much when nearing their ratings. The 8.1 will throw down some serious umph though.

I've pull mine with a 11k over 7 passes in 95 degree up some steep passes w/ any issue. I'd take a 3/4 to it's limits and beyond before the QX, just two different animals. I get what you saying but one is design to tow the other is a weekend warrior.

I get what your saying and it might work. I personally have never had to go to those lengths. A cool tranny is a happy tranny though.

Have you looked into the Toyata Sequoia? Don't have any experience with, my friend has had one for 4 years now and tows his Mastercraft with it.

Love those but finding a new body Sequoia in decent shape at $15k probably won't happen and the tow rating is less than the QX. The '06 and older is definitely not a viable vehicle in this case.

If he does what I said to do and adds a second cooler like the Derale I listed it will probably fix it. A good heat exchanger placed before the radiator or even eliminating the trans fluid from the coolant radiator will add a dramatic effect.

I know we are all just interweb numbnuts but every once in a while guy with FIRST hand experience will chime in with some solid advice. I can only offer my advice. It's not an opinion. Best of luck SD. Let us know how the new radiator and flush goes. Seriously, let us know.

Love those but finding a new body Sequoia in decent shape at $15k probably won't happen and the tow rating is less than the QX. The '06 and older is definitely not a viable vehicle in this case.

I thought the Tundra platform can do it all it's the end all vehicle lineup..... my world is now completely crushed.

• Like 2