Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Biggest baddest SUV tow vehicle for under $15k?

shawndoggy

I currently tow with an Infiniti QX56. My boat is 6500 on the trailer, plus gear (500ish?) and peeps in the vehicle. I feel confident I'm well within the 9900 lb manufacturer's tow rating.

Nonetheless, we frequently tow over a 7,000 ft pass, and coming home, in 100+ degree heat with a carful of kids and ac blasting, the QX temp gauge will shoot up alarmingly. Put on the hazards, roll down the windows And continue more slowly and it will cool down. This usually happens in the longest steep pitches where I'm asking the engine room for 4500+ rpm for several minutes at a time. Clearly I'm expecting too much from the QX, which is otherwise a great tow vehicle.

So I am starting to consider a trade in. For now my focus has been a 2001-2006 suburban or yukon xl 2500 with the 8.1. I know that this will consume fuel at an alarming rate. Other than towing (probably 2500 miles a year) I don't drive much. 6-8k a year avg. so as much as I'd like to think about a diesel excursion, I just don't think it's worth it for my driving habits. Must be an SUV as we frequently have 6 or 7 peeps to the lake.

Am I on the right path?

Will the 3.73 rear end be sufficient or do I need the 4.10?

Common problems?

Would a 6.0 2500 with the 4.10 rear end be enough?

Is there another vehicle I must consider?

If I upped the budget would I be happier with an 07+ escalade/Denali with the 6.2?

Edited by shawndoggy

Older F150

LOL! I replaced an F150 with the QX and the QX is night and day better. The QX is a very capable rig and if I lived somewhere that I didn't have to traverse the sierras regularly while towing a boat, I'm sure I'd be very happy with it.

Older F150

Neither an SUV nor anywhere near the tow vehicle that the current one is??

I've told the story before of the customer that came in and asked for intake, headers, exhaust, and programmer for his Chevy 8.1 dually that he pulled a triple car trailer cross country with. He didn't want "the hassle" of finding diesel out on the road so he bought the gasser. Was not happy when I told him with all those mods he might see a 10% improvement on his current average of 4 mpg. 29 gallon tank times 4 mpg equals a range of 116 miles. Although the Suburban has a bigger tank, doesn't it?

Food for thought. Maybe Excursion diesel?

Edited by jk13

Neither an SUV nor anywhere near the tow vehicle that the current one is??

I've told the story before of the customer that came in and asked for intake, headers, exhaust, and programmer for his Chevy 8.1 dually that he pulled a triple car trailer cross country with. He didn't want "the hassle" of finding diesel out on the road so he bought the gasser. Was not happy when I told him with all those mods he might see a 10% improvement on his current average of 4 mpg. 29 gallon tank times 4 mpg equals a range of 116 miles.

Food for thought. Maybe Excursion diesel?

Well at least the 2500 'burbans have 38 gallon tanks, so let's bump that range up to 160 miles, eh?

I've got a 26 gallon tank in the QX and regularly burn 33 gallons on a 200 mile round trip towing (100 miles each way). I've got to stop and gas up along the way, and for any of you who have stopped to gas up in North San Juan, CA, you know that it's not a place you want to spend a lot of time in if you can avoid it.

My daily commute is only 6 miles each way. In the winter it's not uncommon for the car to barely be warm enough to blow hot air when I arrive at work. It's my understanding that this type of driving is particularly bad for diesels?

Plus people are really proud of those excursion diesels. For the difference in market price between an 8.1 'burb and a similar condition 7.3 excursion I can buy a lot of (cheaper by the gallon) gas.

Which is not to say that I don't look at the excursions on the reg. They are a contender too, if a dark horse.

It probably already has it but could you add an additinal tranny cooler?

Yes, there's a factory tranny cooler, and that's not the problem anyhow. Tranny temp is rock solid. It's engine temp that goes up.

Edited by shawndoggy

Currently tow about the same weight with a Yukon Denali. Has the 6.2 with AWD. Other than MPG, I have no issues. Specifically ordered one with the tranny cooling system to assure no issues. It's a 1/2 ton, not 3/4, but since I drive 15k miles annually I prefer the smoother ride of the half.

• Like 1

The denalis and slades have a lower tow rating because they are heavier. The tow rating is around 7500 pounds I believe. So you would be right at the limit.

Have you talked to a dealer about the issue?

I was going to ask the same thing. You are within the tow rating. With the short uphill climbs, I would expect the tranny to have more overheating issues than the engine, but wouldn't expect the engine to overheat...

Have you talked to a dealer about the issue?

The dealer says "it's fine," though will install a new factory radiator for $1200 on the hope that it will cure the issue. Could get an aftermarket replacement radiator installed for $500, and that's also a consideration.

I've already flushed the coolant, replaced thermostat, etc.

This only happens while towing uphill in the heat at altitude with my foot in it. Otherwise the truck runs great, no complaints. I think I'm just expecting too much?

Edited by shawndoggy

You are within your rights to expect the vehicle to perform as advertised!

LOL and on an 8 year old truck with 82k on the clock, I don't think I'm going to convince Nissan to take it back.

Is it supposed to be able to tow at WOT indefinitely? The problem is that on particular grades I'm either overgeared in 3rd or howling at WOT in 2nd. Really a shorter final drive ratio would fix my prob too, I think. Maybe I should put some really small Sentra wheels on and see how it does?

2500 diesel would be best IMO.

I have had 5.3L Tahoe, 5.4L F150, but my new 5.7L Tundra is night and day better than both. 4.1 rear will help with any model,..Better just forget the MPG

My only beef is the Tundra has a stupid small tank.

Hey Shawn,

Just to relay an experience of mine. My ex & I used to own a 2001 Silverado HD 2500 with the 8.1. Towing the boat, we never got better than 8mpg. Never did much worse, but never did much better. With a camper on it, it went down to about 6, & if you added any headwind it went down a bit more. There was one trip that we took where we bucked a headwind all the way home, & ran out of gas with less than 160 miles on the odometer. Now granted....this was with a camper & a headwind, & the trucks have smaller tanks than the Subs (not by a lot in the longbeds though, which is what we had - I think it was 33 gallons). We ran out with 2 miles to the next gas station in Burns.

Now the upside to it is that we could pop a fill tube off of the gas tank in the boat, siphon some gas out & go on our merry way. Not an option with a diesel.

Another local that I know with the same configuration (only a couple of years newer, and no it's not you Malibudude) had the exact same experience. Ran out coming up out of Shasta & just couldn't quite make it.

I tell you this because I've owned both, & you will never, ever have that problem with an Excursion diesel. With an 8.1, you probably will consistently have that issue, even with the bigger tank. To me, it's worth spending a bit more for that in addition to everything else that would come with the big Ford. JM2C

LOL maybe it's a function of fuel economy, but there seem to be a lot more "low mileage" (like low 100's) gasser 8.1s out there than 7.3's. Yes, the diesel will run forever, I know. But miles also wear their ravages on suspsension, interior, paint, etc., and the couple of 7.3s I've driven in the 180k+ range were wallowing barges that would barely stay in their lanes at 35. The fact that they both were crabbing probably didn't help. I've also driven a chipped 04 6.0 with only about 68k miles and it drove like a dream. I know, run don't walk from a chipped 6.0.

I let a low miles (65k?) 7.3 get away in the fall... it had a lift, which I definitely don't want.

13k for a 7.3 with 190k on the clock? Holy smokes. I guess that's my issue too.

Let me know if you find a 7.3 Excursion diesel for under $15k I'll buy 2! You are more like $20k plus for nice sub 200k mile one. I have been looking for awhile. Cheaper to buy a 6.0 diesle and just get it bulleproofed, IMO. I am looking right now to replace my Subrban diesel, Love that thing but got 220k miles on it time for something new. Diesel is the only option even though it doesn't pencil with how much cheaper the V10's are.......................edit: I wouldn't be that worried about the 6.0 just do your due diligence on whatever you buy. Oasis report and budget for upgrades..........

Edited by Tracktor