Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Biggest baddest SUV tow vehicle for under $15k?

shawndoggy

WOT with supercharger vs WOT N/A, absolutely.

2/3 throttle with supercharger vs WOT N/A, probably not.

Supercharger means you don't need to run WOT at 7k' elevation. Keep the truck in 3rd gear and plug along.

Not sure I agree. All the boosted engines I owned had a higher EGT under load (high gear/low RPM) vs. (low gear/high RPM). But I am sure there are excpetions depending on compressor design.

North San Juan…lol think deliverance…

I think the deliverance guys get paranoid in NSJ. I commute on my bicycle in spandex through "the hood" here in Reno, and I'm much more paranoid in NSJ.

7 towing.... and you tow flatter than me, yes? I'm sorta figuring out that I'll be doing something less than that with my foot in it up 20?

Shawn, what year is that QX? There is a TSB for the fan clutch. (non electric) The TSB may or may not be causing the situation.

What speed are you traveling when this happens?

I am guessing its not related because you would be traveling fast enough to rule out fan problems. Most fan problems exhibit themselves at Idle speeds.

Edited by Ruffdog

I think the deliverance guys get paranoid in NSJ. I commute on my bicycle in spandex through "the hood" here in Reno, and I'm much more paranoid in NSJ.

7 towing.... and you tow flatter than me, yes? I'm sorta figuring out that I'll be doing something less than that with my foot in it up 20?

Ya low 7 high as 9 towing the boat. For the most part I tow on flatter terrain that you do at least towing the boat. You'll never see 20 in the 6.0 or the 8.1 unless your coasting down into Truckee.

Shawn, what year is that QX? There is a TSB for the fan clutch. (non electric) The TSB may or may not be causing the situation.

What speed are you traveling when this happens?

I am guessing its not related because you would be traveling fast enough to rule out fan problems. Most fan problems exhibit themselves at Idle speeds.

Fan performace will make a difference at speed as well. At least rule it out.

TSB does pertain to 06 vehicles however like I said at 40 I doubt it comes to a fan issue.

The fan clutch issue is overheat at idle, right? I'll definitely cool down at idle.

Well if the new radiator doesn't help then 8.1 is your only choice considering your price range I think.

a 7.3 excursion would be great but finding a low mileage one in that price range? Probably not.

What else?

The fan clutch issue is overheat at idle, right? I'll definitely cool down at idle.

TSB specifically says at idle but at 40 there is no air flow problem unless the AC is plugged. Make sure to have the radiator shop blow that out BTW.

Get a used Land Rover LR3 7 passenger with the 4.4 Liter V8. No overheating issues and you won't even know the boats there!

Sorry guys, but this has been a brutal tow vehicle thread. Way too much logic and useful advice and not enough ridiculous comments! :biggrin:

EDIT: I want to apologize Shawn for derailing your thread, it's just so much more fun this way. Hope the new radiator works out for you!

Edited by TrickyNicky

Damn, pretty nice setup if you have the coin for a 2013 Excursion.

Panther_X_090.JPG

Damn those are nice! When did the excursion get a third row door? Or is this special order?

I am curious why the V-10 Excursion hasn't been mentioned? I had a buddy with a V10 truck and it pulled his X-star just fine. You can pick up a sub 100k one loaded for under $10g all day long around here. I am stuck on diesels but frankly the V-10 makes more sense after you add the premium of what a diesel costs.................

• Like 1

Damn those are nice! When did the excursion get a third row door? Or is this special order?

There are no more excursions...theyve been discontinued for a while now.

Although that looks like an excursion...thats a new F250 customed into looking like an excursion...

The 4 door models cost 70-85k.

The 6 door 2013 F250 to Excuursion conversion and chop to 6 doors like you see in that pic are 85-100k.

I am curious why the V-10 Excursion hasn't been mentioned? I had a buddy with a V10 truck and it pulled his X-star just fine. You can pick up a sub 100k one loaded for under $10g all day long around here. I am stuck on diesels but frankly the V-10 makes more sense after you add the premium of what a diesel costs.................

Funny, I was just thinking that. Shawn should drive one back to back with a 'burban.

My parent's friend had a V10 in a truck they pulled a camper with it. They bought it to save a few bucks, ended up costing them the depreciation of the truck after 6mo and the cost of a new diesel. I guess it was pretty gutless, idk...

There was a company on ebay taking slightly used sub2500's and installing duramax's in them. I didn't think they'd fit but they had some good reviews. Really considered one.

first thought - based upon the load in the truck, I am willing to lay down money you are over the GCVWR of your QX. That tow rating assumes an empty vehicle and 150 lb driver. Every pound in the truck is one more pound you cannot pull.

As stated the 8.1 sucks gas. Badly. They pull great though and if I were you, I would be fine with that based upon your need and driving. But an Excursion with the V10 gas engine will actually get better MPG (they are only 6.8l v 8.1l). The Ex is also larger inside than the 2500 burb and GCVWR is higher. They however do not drive as nicely. With your driving, don't bother with diesel.