Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Biggest baddest SUV tow vehicle for under $15k?

shawndoggy

Touareg. Gorilla's wife has one. Diesel. I think it's rated to tow 7,500 pounds. You could PM him about it.

Don't think you can get one for 15k

Don't flame me for this...but have you thought about a 3/4 ton 'van' with diesel engine? Get it with 4wd, but in some better seats (4 rows of buckets) and you would have the ultimate tow rig & family hauler.

Touareg. Gorilla's wife has one. Diesel. I think it's rated to tow 7,500 pounds. You could PM him about it.

That is less towing than he's got now.

Shawn, If you have a belt driven fan, the previous suggestions on the fan clutch were a good place to start for the running hot issue. An easy way to check the clutch is just to pull over (when it's running warm) shut off the motor and see how freely the fan spins. On a hot day with the truck running hot it should be almost locked up solid. If not, get a new high quality one like Hayden...

On the tow vehicle, I use a Chevy 2008 2500HD Crew Cab Truck with 373 gears, 6 speed trans and a 6' bed. I have a custom tune and the truck has tons of power, especially when passing with your foot in it. I tow the bu up and down the local hill from 4000' to 1500' and the temp rises slightly and it pulls it in 5th gear at 55-60mph. Towing usually get me around 10-12mpg depending on how much my foor is in it and on the flats without the bu I get about 15mpg (at 65-75mph)

I've owned quite a few trucks over the years and I can say that this one if far better that any of the previous makes or models. I have about 80k miles on it now and havn't had any problems with it at all!

Don't flame me for this...but have you thought about a 3/4 ton 'van' with diesel engine? Get it with 4wd, but in some better seats (4 rows of buckets) and you would have the ultimate tow rig & family hauler.

oh one of my dream rigs is a sportsmobile or quigley conversion. A little out of my price range right now tho.

4x4ford_bw1.jpg

• Like 3

oh one of my dream rigs is a sportsmobile or quigley conversion. A little out of my price range right now tho.

4x4ford_bw1.jpg

Ooh I gots to look that up. Looks like my retirement vehicle.

Can you have a dedicated 'tow rig' and then something else for your wife's daily driver? You could pick up an older 3/4 or 1 ton van for not much money. I rode in a newer one a few weeks ago on vacation (shuttle to/from airport) and it was actually pretty nice. The bench seats would need to go, but other then that it was fine.

I'm pretty sure my neighbors would hate on me pretty good if I had a giant van parked out front all the time. ugh do I need to upgrade my house too?

Something like ^ less the lift and extra goodies would be cool.

Yeah my thought too. I don't know if I ever would've been into a giant lift but I'm certainly not now.

If I ever win the lottery (gotta play first) I would love a tricked out 1 ton diesel van only for boat hauling. It would be perfect. Get the whole crew in one vehicle, bring all the gear (roof rack up top), pulling power of the diesel. Long trips to the lake would be cool...granted if I had the money I'd probably just cruise in a big ol diesel pusher motorhome :)

My brother is looking for a 4wd van right now for taking his KTM to the hare scrambles. He has a Silverado 5.3 that he uses right now but would like a place to sleep for the two-day races and a place to change and shower in private.

As others have mentioned you should drive an Excursion V10 if a diesel is not for you. The hold their resale for crap so they are already at the basement of their worth. You won't lose much on it in the future. My wife's uncle uses a V10 F250 to pull a big tall fifth wheel from WI to FL over the Smoky Mtns. every year and he has been happy with it for a couple years. Worth a look.

Is it unreasonable for me to ask a private party to let me tow my boat on a test drive? That is the whole point of this vehicle for me after all. Not like a 200 mile tow, but maybe 20?

I'm pretty sure my neighbors would hate on me pretty good if I had a giant van parked out front all the time. ugh do I need to upgrade my house too?

No, just upgrade your neighbors

Is it unreasonable for me to ask a private party to let me tow my boat on a test drive? That is the whole point of this vehicle for me after all. Not like a 200 mile tow, but maybe 20?

Not unreasonable to ask. I would imagine varying possibilities of answers but if they want the sell and that's what your looking for it to do than I think it's a good idea.

Depends on the situation I would think. If someone was really interested in buying my truck, but wanted to see how it towed I would allow it on a few conditions:

1. I ride with them

2. I inspect what they are towing (if it's a POS, sorry not happening)

3. It would be after they've done a test drive and we've negotiated pricing (ie they are really serious)

• Like 4

You can always ask. What would you do if you were the seller and they asked you this question? I'd probably want some money. Like maybe 200 bucks, and if you buy it then it goes to the purchase price, if not I get paid for the time and use of the vehicle.

Not unreasonable to ask. I would imagine varying possibilities of answers but if they want the sell and that's what your looking for it to do than I think it's a good idea.

Would you mind if I borrowed your baddest SUV under $15k, for a 20 mile WOT test tow of my 6500lb wake boat over the mountain pass, I just need to determine how hot the engine and transmission will get before I can decide whether or not to buy it?

Would you mind if I borrowed your baddest SUV under $15k, for a 20 mile WOT test tow of my 6500lb wake boat over the mountain pass, I just need to determine how hot the engine and transmission will get before I can decide whether or not to buy it?

Well, if the owner knew the truck was the baddest SUV around, and was as sure as sure could be you were going to buy... There's a wide range of people out there, it would be interesting to see the responses.