Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo will not power on

jmiller2496

I recently installed tower speakers and everything worked fine. Now the stereo wont power on? Everything else works. Any ideas what this could be? Maybe the remote wire? does anyone have a diagram of the wiring on these boats? Its very tight and i dont know where to look. Or maybe something else?

Thanks,

I would start with checking the voltage at the battery(s), then check for voltage across the head-units yellow B+ and black GND. Then again on the red turn-on wire.

If you can find the batteries, then check there. Then, find the back of the head-unit. There will only be one yellow, one black and one red in the head-unit pigtail. At this point, there is no need to dig these wire out anywhere else along their travel around the boat to test. Check right at the battery to make sure its fully charger (12.5 or higher is good) and this also gives you a reference for when you check right at the back of the head-unit. If the voltage is low at the battery(s), then check for poor or corroded connections, test battery or recharge. If voltage is low or absent at the back of the head-unit, then you will need to determine if its on the B+ or GND side and then back track on that circuit until the problem is found.

How can I get to the head unit wires? I have to remove the stereo right? Is there an easy way to do this?

I have solid power at the battery and when I first started trying the stereo turned on for a minute but now it doesn't.

ok, got it out. i tested the wires, the red and yellow wires have power but still nothing turns on on the display of the stereo.

ok, got it out. i tested the wires, the red and yellow wires have power but still nothing turns on on the display of the stereo.

If those voltage reading were taken using the head-units GND, then the head-unit is dead.

• Like 1

One more thing to check, if the radio has a flip faceplate, the row of contacts that the faceplate uses to get its power could possibly not be making good contact. Qtip and some alcohol rubbed on the brass/copper contacts could possibly solve it if the radio itself isn't dead. Unplug the radio, then plug it back in and listen closely to it to hear if the cd rollers turn on.