Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Plug & Play Ballast Instructions & Review

TexasWakeRep

Well I finally got around to outfitting my 13 VLX with Plug N Play parts and thought I would share my experiences:

First a little background: Right after I bought my 08 VLX new in 2008 I did the 'Piggyback' ballast upgrade with 1100lb Fly highs on top of the hard tank....similar to discussion here: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13248-adding-fat-sacs-to-factory-ballast-2007-vlx/?hl=ballast

I decided to replace the elbow valve coming out of hard tank to a larger size so that I could upgrade to a 1" hose for faster draining from bags to hard tanks. It was a bit faster than the 3/4" elbow and hose. It filled fast enough for me, but could have been faster on the draining.

That being said, I was a bit apprehensive about Malibu's new Plug N Play System seeing that it didn't include additional pumps for the bags. After hearing that the pumps and hoses were faster/bigger and doing a bit of reading here on the forum, I decided to give it a go. Especially since it appeared to be much easier than adding additional pumps/wiring/hoses/fittings/etc.

My first impression on receiving the boat and looking in the rear compartments was "Where are all the Fly High Fittings?" The fittings that come with it aren't quick connect in any way. Who wants to unscrew hoses out of bags when you want to clean up under the bags or need to do maintenance? Why wouldn't Malibu give you everything you need for the boat? They should call it 'Buy more Fittings then Plug N Play' See photo here:

photo18_zps515217d9.jpg

I called Ed over at Boardstop.com to figure out exactly what I needed in terms of fittings and bags. Boardstop actually shares space at CTWS in Austin which is a Malibu and Axis dealership. He has helped me out in the past, so I was sure he would know what I would need. After talking with Ed, I decided to go with Fly High 750 Plug and play package here: http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_61_180&products_id=6698

It was nice to have all the fittings and bags together in one package. I opted to purchase the 6 Stainless Hose clamps from Ed as well. Why doesn't Malibu offer this Plug N Play Package as an 'Option'?

When I received my kit, it was super easy to install.

The 2 W707EXV bags fit very nicely in the rear compartments. (I like that they now come with an air release valve plug)

The 6 W743 fittings screw right into the ports on the lower sides on either end of the bags and also the forward/bow side of the top port.

The 2 W741 straight fittings plugged into the lower forward/bow side hoses and fastened with Stainless hose clamps.

(I liked the fit of the straight fittings here and can see how they would be better than the elbows in this lower forward location)

photo21_zps35441571.jpg

The 4 W746 elbow fittings plugged into the lower stern side hoses and upper bow side hose with Stainless hose clamps.

Next you simply connect all the Flow-Rites (W741 & W746) to the Quick Connects (W743).

That's it. Simple, your done.

Now my only concern was that the rear hose bowed up the rear of the bag as you can see in picture below. I'm guessing this is because Malibu's PNP bag is smaller than 750lbs.

photo20_zps67d29e39.jpg

But after filling the bags up a couple times, the hose was 'trained' into the correct position.

photo12_zps6b61c908.jpg

Speed? MUCH improved over my old piggyback system. The faster pumps, larger hoses, and dual drain ports really help out a lot. The first time I filled them up I was shocked that they filled so quickly. So for me personally, I don't see the need to add separate pumps.

So the verdict for me is that the Plug N Play is a really good system....after you replace the fittings (or lack there of) that Malibu provides with their system. You can simply buy a Plug N Play Package like the one on Boardstop, and in less than 10 minutes you are good to go. This is indeed a super easy thing to do, and I hope this helps someone with either their decision on Plug N Play or finding the Package parts that they need to complete their Plug N Play.

Nice write up, I am glad to see you figured it out. Kind of a bummer Malibu charges $400 to add plug and play and the system is not complete. I Have seen a few posts on here with the bags loosing water after filled, have you been out on the water with them and experienced this issue?

Nice write up, I am glad to see you figured it out. Kind of a bummer Malibu charges $400 to add plug and play and the system is not complete. I Have seen a few posts on here with the bags loosing water after filled, have you been out on the water with them and experienced this issue?

Thx Fman. Yeah, it's super easy once you know what you need to complete the system. I haven't noticed losing any water, I need to check that out next trip out. Rain and wind here this week....ugh. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Another topic....Fman - anxious to hear your GPS upgrade results after your next trip out. Here's to good weather this weekend!

Texas does the rear drain hose, or stern side drain hose come up vertically thru floor or does it come out horizontal to the floor.? I see you used elbows there, was just wondering.

Thanks for the great write up - started this project in my VTX on the weekend and had NFI where straights and elbows were supposed to go, and haven't had time to follow up with dealer. I had assumed that straight fitting was for rear, elbows for front.

Was also surprised that to find out that PNP upgrade is not "plug n play" it's "remove plugs, purchase fittings, install fittings, then play".

TWR, after all was completed how much did the entire PnP system cost you? I installed the Johnson impeller system, wanted to get a price comparison between the two systems.

Texas does the rear drain hose, or stern side drain hose come up vertically thru floor or does it come out horizontal to the floor.? I see you used elbows there, was just wondering.

The rear drain hose comes out of the plastic elbow coming out of hard tank, and there is a cover piece made of the same floor material. Ideally, the Fly high bags would drain on the outer bottom of the bag as opposed to the bottom of the ends...if that makes any sense. I experimented with the straight and elbow fittings on the front and back. After trying both on both ends, it made sense why Ed at Boardstop went the route he did for his package.

Thanks for the great write up - started this project in my VTX on the weekend and had NFI where straights and elbows were supposed to go, and haven't had time to follow up with dealer. I had assumed that straight fitting was for rear, elbows for front.

Was also surprised that to find out that PNP upgrade is not "plug n play" it's "remove plugs, purchase fittings, install fittings, then play".

"remove plugs, purchase fittings, install fittings, then play" I think this is a better description...spot on.

TWR, after all was completed how much did the entire PnP system cost you? I installed the Johnson impeller system, wanted to get a price comparison between the two systems.

Looks like the kit is $399.99 + the cost of a few clamps. Sure Eric will chime back in.

Looks like the kit is $399.99 + the cost of a few clamps. Sure Eric will chime back in.

Yup, you got it Brad. $399.99 + $12 4 hose clamps. Minus 10% discount. PM me and I'll get you the code.

UPDATE:

Bags were filling very quickly (Less than 5 mins for stock + 750s), but it was draining slower than I would have thought it should be. Upon inspection, I found that both factory PnP hoses were kinking like this:

Kink_zps6866a2e8.jpg

So my concern mentioned in previous post ("Now my only concern was that the rear hose bowed up the rear of the bag as you can see in picture below. I'm guessing this is because Malibu's PNP bag is smaller than 750lbs.") was a legitimate one. The hoses that come from the factory are simply too short for these 750lb bags.

Solution? Simple. I purchased more 1 1/8 hose here: http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_61_180&products_id=6705 Then I pulled off cover to expose barbed elbow coming out of tank:

photo23_zps8090ab03.jpg

Next loosen up hose clamp. Now the tricky party is getting hose on or off the barb because I was afraid of pulling elbow out of tank if I pulled too hard. I opted to cut a slit on the end of the hose since I didn't plan to use the factory hose that was too short. Once it was off, I took new hose and sized up how much I would need to loop it around. For your reference, it actually ended up being right at twice the length of the original hose. The port for the EXV hoses are at the bottom of the ends as previously mentioned. So it makes sense to make the end of the hose at the very back of the compartment. This picture should make it obvious that the longer hose is how it should have been done from the factory:

photo24_zps7d082f2c.jpg

Tips: I HIGHLY recommend using a heat gun on each end of the hose before fitting it on the hard tank barbed elbow. This made it super easy to get it all the way on. Train your hose a bit....put it exactly where you want before tightening the two hose clamps.

Once the bag was connected back up, you can see here that you don't have the rear hose bowed up like it did with the factory rear hose:

photo25_zpsd973d2bf.jpg

As you may have noticed from the previous picture, I decided to move the fill hose/valve assembly to a different location. It is easier to get to, and doesn't get pushed on when the bag is full:

photo26_zps1e6951b1.jpg

Results? Took a 7am set this morning on glassy water with nobody else on the lake.....Factory Ballast +750s + 500lbs lead + 3 adults in boat...wedge all the way down...22mph...75 foot out. EXCELLENT. PnP filled and drained quickly. Great way to start the day. If you are running PnP with 750lb + bags, IMO installing longer rear hoses is a must. Otherwise those kinks are going to slow your drain time WAY down.

• 2 weeks later...

texaswakerep nice hints.I have the same set up from the dealer with no quick disconnects. I am in the process of installing them. I was thinking of eliminating the shut off valve. what is your opnion. do you use them at all.

also I replaced the factory panel that I could not get the screws back in. soon as I can post pics, i will do a little write up

• 4 weeks later...

Nice writeup!

Does anyone know if you need to do anything special to remove the factory plugs from the hoses? It looks like there might be some kind of plumbers tape on there plus just a screw collar.

Nice writeup!

Does anyone know if you need to do anything special to remove the factory plugs from the hoses? It looks like there might be some kind of plumbers tape on there plus just a screw collar.

No, just remove hose clamp and tug/twist/tug on the factory plug. It has a little waterproofing epoxy or something, but plugs come out easily.