Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sunsetter VLX

moto96s

Jtrezon,

That sounds great. If you have time to get some pics I'd love to see them.

I think you are right, we are the same basic setup.

Simo,

For a single pump I do not believe it would make a difference for a 3/4 thru hull. However, if I do go with two pumps, the 1" through hull will defintely pass more GPM in a given set of circumstances, especially large volume suction/pickup for fill. If size really did not matter at all, why not use 1/2" or less?

Not sure of the ID of a 3/4 thru hull, but the area of a 3/4 circle is about .441" . The area of a 1"circle is about .785" so you have almost twice the available to transport water through. Hope my math was good on all of that. Anyway, if I have to drill a hole, might as well make it big!

I remember you saying somewhere you did end up with 1" thru hulls. Do you happen to remember what size hole you needed for the 1"?

You're right with the 1" thru hull and volume. I definitely wouldn't put two pumps on a 3/4" hole. two pumps on a 1" hole will be fine. Again split the lines as close as possible to the thru hull.

The 1" thru hull requires a 1"1/4 hole but that is really tight. you might have to ream it out a little or go 1"5/16.

Edited by FastFreddy
  • 4 weeks later...

Well,

Finally made some real progress!

Ended up going with 2 ballast puppies off of a single 1' thru hull.

The 2 pump set up is the way to go if you can(thanks nitrous)

Everything fills and drains great off the single 1" through hull(Thanks fastfreddy).

Have not installed a vent system yet. Just hit the pump switches and pop the tops on the rear lockers.

Purge a lttle air by hand if i have to. Vent system is next.

Have not had the 750s totally filled yet, but with them about 3/4 or a little more, center ski locker filled, and lead and battery in front of spotter seat and nothing up front at this time, I have what I consider an almost perfect wake at 19.5mph and 65 feet. It is big and solid and rampy!

Just my driver in the boat so far. Hope to get some more folks out this weekend.

Want to make that same size and quality wake for my buddy who rides at 22mph!!

Pictures as soon as I can.

Well,

Finally made some real progress!

Ended up going with 2 ballast puppies off of a single 1' thru hull.

The 2 pump set up is the way to go if you can(thanks nitrous)

Everything fills and drains great off the single 1" through hull(Thanks fastfreddy).

Have not installed a vent system yet. Just hit the pump switches and pop the tops on the rear lockers.

Purge a lttle air by hand if i have to. Vent system is next.

Have not had the 750s totally filled yet, but with them about 3/4 or a little more, center ski locker filled, and lead and battery in front of spotter seat and nothing up front at this time, I have what I consider an almost perfect wake at 19.5mph and 65 feet. It is big and solid and rampy!

Just my driver in the boat so far. Hope to get some more folks out this weekend.

Want to make that same size and quality wake for my buddy who rides at 22mph!!

Pictures as soon as I can.

congrats on the upgrade, but you like the wake that much already? I feel like with my 98 and 2 750s in the back I need more weight in the front! that's my next project.

yeah,

My driver is a pretty big guy, and with the counter weight under the spotter seat and ski locker bag filled, I probably have some bow weight factor already.

I am sure it will get better (rampier) with more bow weight from what i have read, but it is a huge improvement over what I was running before. Going out tomorrow and may try to fit a partially filled 400lb bag behind the driver seat and one of my side bags on the front driver's side seats. Hope to finally go totally ropeless wakesurfing. We'll see!

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys and girls,

I am under the impression i need at least 15 feet of water under the boat to get any kind of surf wake. Anyone agree or disagree?

Thanks