Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Oil Change Monsoon

Do you guys try to fill the new filter with oil at all before putting it on?  And how much oil does the Monsoon 350 hold?

Edited by sunvalleylaw
formulaben
1 hour ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Do you guys try to fill the new filter with oil at all before putting it on?  And how much oil does the Monsoon 350 hold?

Yes, I fill it as far as practical.  I believe it is 5.5 quarts, but if you're surfing they recommend an extra quart.  Also, that presumes the standard size filter.  I added a dual remote setup, so I'm just under 2 gallons.

22 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Yes, I fill it as far as practical.  I believe it is 5.5 quarts, but if you're surfing they recommend an extra quart.  Also, that presumes the standard size filter.  I added a dual remote setup, so I'm just under 2 gallons.

Can you share a link for the correct remote setup?  I've been thinking of doing this, I have it on my houseboat, sure makes changing the filter easy.  Is there any other reason to add the remote setup?

formulaben

I'm not sure what "correct" is, but I went with a dual setup since I figured the trouble of doing the remote was the hard part...the extra $10 was the easy part for 2 filters.  Might be overkill, but it certainly can't hurt.

Ok, another dumb question.  Looks like there are two places to fill.  Do you guys fill half or so in both spots?  I guess I am used to there being only one spot to fill oil on my cars.

C57FB180-AD86-4109-B741-327F6021C967_zps

On 5/23/2013 at 5:06 PM, teamerickson said:

I would also put a rag on the bilge under the oil filter when changing.

I use pet training pads for this.  Catches every drip and no leak through. 

• Like 2
formulaben
2 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Ok, another dumb question.  Looks like there are two places to fill.  Do you guys fill half or so in both spots?  I guess I am used to there being only one spot to fill oil on my cars.

C57FB180-AD86-4109-B741-327F6021C967_zps

Doesn't matter where you put it, either/or. 

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

So I know this thread is old, but I could not find where it said how many quarts for my motor...2000 malibu wake setter Indmar 350. I have been doing four, but after running this past week I noticed the oil gauge is bouncing all over. I checked the stick and the first hole is covered...probably need more. Any thoughts on the pressure gauge jumping all over (bouncing) sometimes showing low and sometimes showing high.

Just now, firefed22 said:

So I know this thread is old, but I could not find where it said how many quarts for my motor...2000 malibu wake setter Indmar 350. I have been doing four, but after running this past week I noticed the oil gauge is bouncing all over. I checked the stick and the first hole is covered...probably need more. Any thoughts on the pressure gauge jumping all over (bouncing) sometimes showing low and sometimes showing high.

Typical for a 5.7L engine (except a PCM engine) would be 5 quarts with the oil filter.  PCM seems to use an itty bitty oil pan and only uses 4 quarts with a filter change.

5.5 qts for my 2010, 350 Monsoon, but use the dip stick to get it filled correctly. I had some crazy fluctuations then the Oil Pressure Sensor totally failed. Got a replacement from Advance Auto @ $35.00 vice Malibu $100.00+ and other places for nearly $100.00 and a shipping costs.

4 minutes ago, wdr said:

5.5 qts for my 2010, 350 Monsoon, but use the dip stick to get it filled correctly. I had some crazy fluctuations then the Oil Pressure Sensor totally failed. Got a replacement from Advance Auto @ $35.00 vice Malibu $100.00+ and other places for nearly $100.00 and a shipping costs.

Where do I find the sending unit?

On my '10 it was located on the starboard/right side of the block closest to the back of the rear divider. Being a '10 and FI with the Malivue I don't have an Oil Pressure Sending unit, just an OP Sensor. There is a thread on here that talks about both if you do a search.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 12V electric extractor pump.  That pump is some of the best money I have spent as I have used it on several boats and many cars.  It has long wires with alligator clips to connect to the battery.  I bought an adapter that screws to the end of the drain hose and I can just connect the extractor hose to that.  I turn on the pump before wiping the boat down and it is empty before I am done with the wipe down.  I just cut the bottom off a plastic water bottle and use that for a funnel to refill the engine.  I will usually swap the filter when I put the boat back in the water so it isn't hot when I remove it.  I have a 2010 LSV with the Monsoon and it has the remote filter so I just use a ziplock bag when removing it but it usually don't leak at all as long as I don't tilt it when it comes loose. 

For the transmission, I use the same pump and pump the fluid into a large funnel that you can either lock the bottom open or closed.  The funnel has markings for quantity on it so I just make sure I put in the exact same amount I take out.  The funnel has a long flexible hose on the bottom with a screen filter so really easy to fill back up.  I just pour in a measured amount into the funnel, put the hose in the transmission, then open the valve on the bottom of the filter.

This is the pump I have used for the last 10 years.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shurflo--oil-change-unit--6836175?recordNum=5

Might be available cheaper on Amazon.

Here is the funnel I use for the transmission.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/funnel/flotool-measu-funnel/139278_0_0

The funnel won't hold two quarts but I just pump one quart into it, turn the pump off, drain the funnel then turn the pump on and pump the rest out.  With the measurement marks I know exactly how much I took out.  Since you can fill the funnel before having to put the hose in the transmission it is really easy to get exactly how much fluid you want back in.

Kris

• 1 month later...

I went to Harbor Freight  and bought this one. 

https://m.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=oil+evacuator

It is the coolest thing I have bougjt in a while 4.5 gallon capacity super clean, a ton of sucking power and thos is what my local Malibu mechanic uses.  When he saw it in my truck he told me I found the secret that has made him more money than you can count.

You hook your air compress9r up flip the valva and boom all v drive or oil sucked right out.

Best money I have spent on a boat in a while.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:34 AM, firefed22 said:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/indmar_1994_2003.pdf

• 1 year later...

. 2013 Malibu wakesetter 350 Monsoon motor how do i reset the alarm after I change the oil it's still saying I need to change the oil and it's already been done