Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Oil Change Monsoon

I know this question has been discussed a million times on these forums. So there must be a good write-up somewhere. I've been searching but can't find a DIY write-up for oil changes. Just little snippets of info here and there and tips.

So anyone have a link to a good clean DIY write-up for maintenance on Monsoon engine? Oil change, transmission, etc. It's a 2002 WakeSetter VLX

I know it is easy. And there is a hose to drain it right through one of the drain plugs on the hull. But, it would be nice to read a write-up to make sure I have all the tools and supplies before I head that way to get it done. We don't have easy access to an auto parts store there. So if I forget something it is a long drive back.

Much appreciated.

----

Warm-up engine 15 mins on hose or lake

Drain oil through hose or suck it out through top using my Oil Boy to a catch container

Use ziplock bag under filter, unscrew filter, remove

Lube 0 ring on new filter (PZ3), install new filter, 1/2 turn by hand after seal sets

Fill engine with new oil (Penzoil 15W-40 6 qts.) with a funnel.

Suck out oil from V-drive transmission cap

Replace with 2 qts. of SAE30 Penzzoil

Water impeller?

731e583e.jpg

You're on the right track but you won't get significant heat in the oil in the driveway. Get it out on the water and tear it up for a while then drain at home. Or plan to let it drain over night. Different era but my Monsoon takes 5.5 qts.

What is the "I'd check the cap & rotor too"?

I haven't done the water impeller in 3 seasons :( We only put about 30 hrs a year on the boat, but I know it needs to be changed for sure this time!!

I can run it hard on the lake first vs. the hose. Last time I sucked it out with the Oil Boy, but I think this hose is an oil drain hose? It's been a few years since I did it myself. HERE

So anyone have a link to write-up that organizes all this good info? I don't want to mess it up :)

Edited by Air Tahoe

What is the "I'd check the cap & rotor too"?

I haven't done the water impeller in 3 seasons :( We only put about 30 hrs a year on the boat, but I know it needs to be changed for sure this time!!

I can run it hard on the lake first vs. the hose. Last time I sucked it out with the Oil Boy, but I think this hose is an oil drain hose? It's been a few years since I did it myself. HERE

So anyone have a link to write-up that organizes all this good info? I don't want to mess it up :)

I don't think that you'll see one because there are too many engine/tranny/vdrive configs.

As far as the cap & rotor, just pull the cap & inspect it. If both look clean & wear looks okay, then you probably don't need to replace them. If not, then replace both. Not a difficult thing.

I don't think that you'll see one because there are too many engine/tranny/vdrive configs.

As far as the cap & rotor, just pull the cap & inspect it. If both look clean & wear looks okay, then you probably don't need to replace them. If not, then replace both. Not a difficult thing.

Yep, takes 2 seconds. Make sure the contacts look nice and shiny

Ok, makes sense WakeGirl. Just a few more questions:

What fuel filter do I need? It says in-line or spin-on in the book? manual and I think this is what mine looks like here

I'm thinking i have the Walter V-drive, so just need oil in the v-drive and not transmission fluid here

This is the cap and rotor?

Thanks!!

Dont use oil drain hose if you can help it. Use your oil vac. You will be alright warming boat in driveway. Change impeller for sure. And as I recall, v drive takes less than 1 qt. Change trans fluid w ATF. Use your oil vac on all three. On v drive, that breather cap on top center side towards front comes off for refilling.

The best way to learn is just jump in.

Ok, makes sense WakeGirl. Just a few more questions:

What fuel filter do I need? It says in-line or spin-on in the book? manual and I think this is what mine looks like here

I'm thinking i have the Walter V-drive, so just need oil in the v-drive and not transmission fluid here

This is the cap and rotor?

Thanks!!

Yes, that looks right. You may have a second though, look around & see if you can find one. IIRC some models through those years had both a spin on & an inline (someone will correct me on that if I'm mistaken). I think that the inline is a small enough I.D. that you can get it through any auto parts store. The later models they went to a larger fuel line & you have to get that filter from the dealer or someplace like skidim.

Web has the right of it on the rest. ATF in the tranny & oil in the vdrive.

Ok, thanks everyone!

I will skip the fuel filter until I can get a number off of it for next trip.

Water impeller is the only thing I'm nervous about. I just hope it comes out of the housing easily after 3 years. I know it is mounted in the rear facing the swim platform. And I heard some people use dish detergent to lube it back in. But that sounds bad for the rubber. But it was on Inmar's video guide.

Yes, we take good care of it and it gets light use. Cold mountain lake. Only a few months out of the year to ride.

Edited by Air Tahoe

Ok, thanks everyone!

Water impeller is the only thing I'm nervous about. I just hope it comes out of the housing easily after 3 years. I know it is mounted in the rear facing the swim platform. And I heard some people use dish detergent to lube it back in. But that sounds bad for the rubber. But it was on Inmar's video guide.

Yes, we take good care of it and it gets light use. Cold mountain lake. Only a few months out of the year to ride.

I used cooking spray or olive oil.

Ok, thanks everyone!

A dab of Vaseline on the spline would work too for getting the new impeller installed

Thanks, both are good ideas!

Here's the checklist I made real quick incase others come across this thread:

Oil change boat VLX

BUY:
6 qts Penzzoil 15w-40 oil for engine
2 pints?. SAE30 Penzzoil for V-drive
2 Qts Penzoil Type A Dexron II, III or Dexron/MErcon (ATF fluid)
Penzzoil Marine Z-M Corrosion Protectant and Lubricant
Fuel Filter (inline= indmar 556003_ (spin-on indmar 786020)

DIRECTIONS:

Warm-up engine 15 mins on lake

Drain oil through hose or suck it out through top using my Oil Boy to a catch container

Use ziplock bag under filter, unscrew filter, remove

Lube 0 ring on new filter (PZ3),

Fill oil filter 1/2 with oil

install new filter 1/2 turn by hand after seal sets

Fill engine with new oil (Penzoil 15W-40 6 qts.) with a funnel.

Suck out oil from V-drive transmission cap

Replace with 2 qts. of SAE30 Penzzoil

Water impeller replace, use WD40 or cooking spray or vaseline, good light and mirror required

Proper air in trailer tires

Trailer bearing grease

Trailer brake fluid

Edited by Air Tahoe

A couple of tips I picked up around here.

The drain hose has a stupid tiny hole & it will take a month to drain. Heat the engine up a bit to thin out the oil, which helps. Or better yet, use an oil extractor & stick the tube in the drain hose. It'll drain in about 5 min. Sort of a catheter for your boat. :Doh:

On the oil filter, use one of those big gallon sized zip lock baggies. Use it to catch the oil that drains from the filter when your unscrewing it. Lower it to the bilge floor, zip it up, then pull the whole mess out..... without dropping any oil in the bilge!

On the impeller, you will probably have to work around the muffler, usually completely blind. I found it was a LOT easier to get both my hands in there if I did it while kneeling on the swimstep. It'll take you 10 seconds to remove the engine cover so it's out of the way. Then the whole job goes down so much easier.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

That Pennzoil PZ3 doesn't get high praise. I prefer Mobil M1-111. A few more bucks, but a much better filter.

You need either Pennzoil Marine 15W-40 or pretty much any "heavy-duty" 15W-40 oil for diesel engines.

That looks like a WIX 33299 in-line fuel filter (same as Indmar 556003), available at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Invest in an impeller puller. You'll be glad you did!

Edited by srab

I like the ziplock idea!! And moving the engine cover to make it easier.

Ok, I only listed Pennzoil bc that was in the manual. I'm sure there will be a better equivalent at walmart or the auto store I find on the drive up.

$84 shipped to the door worth it for a puller? Amazon

Edited by Air Tahoe

I like the ziplock idea!! And moving the engine cover to make it easier.

Ok, I only listed Pennzoil bc that was in the manual. I'm sure there will be a better equivalent at walmart or the auto store I find on the drive up.

$84 shipped to the door worth it for a puller? Amazon

I use 2 paint can keys. Sure, the puller might be better but I'm cheap. ;)

• Like 2