Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Oil Change Monsoon

1. Is it ok to be slightly above high H mark on Walter V Drive and Transmission? I put in the full 2 quarts and 2 pints on each. Waited 10 mind and still showing high. Should I suck some out?

2. Engine oil came out easy and fast through bottom drain. Sucked some out of the top as well. Only pulled 4.5 qts out. Put in 4.5qts and it is just at the top level after 15 mins. Thought I would have needed more. But that's it huh?

3. Water impeller with WD40, paint can openers was impossible. I didn't get anywhere. Super tough. Guess ill wait till I get my puller from Bakes.

So if anyone knows the answer to the first two, I'd love here before I put everything away.

Thanks

Just wondering, have you run the engine after oil change and then checked the level.? You extracted 4.5 qts and filter is at about 1 more.

Thanks for the feedback srab and web.

I ended up slowly sucking out the excess. Slow process bc I didn't want to overdo it. I'll have to try the 2 liter bottle trick next round.

Even with filter I don't think I put in more then 4.5-5qts new oil. Didn't run the engine until I got to the lake. 10 min run and its still reading at the H mark. So I think it's good. I was thinking it would come down a bit once I ran the engine. I'm happy with where its at. I can't imagine the service shops take near care to get it correct.

Hardest part of the whole task is getting under the trailer to reach the oil drain hose. And the flush kit suction cup.

I'll post lots of pics of the process if I can figure out how to embed them. I always get an error, even following help section on here.

Any idea why there are 2 oil fill caps on this engine. I only used one side to fill the entire engine.

On the subject of oil filters, I use a K&N HP-1011. Apart from having a reputation for manufacturing quality filters, the HP-1011 has a 1inch nut welded to the bottom of the canister making it very easy to remove with a socket and wrench. According to the folks at K&N, the HP-1011 is a direct replacement for the Mobil M1-111, Napa Gold 1069 and WIX 57099.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=HP-1011&pkid=367082&rw=1

Why so?

What I meant was do not use the drain hose to gravity drain the motor oil if you cant help it. Gravity drain is way slower than using a vacuum. But if you dont have a vac the drain hose is perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/23/2013 at 4:58 PM, Air Tahoe said:

Thanks, both are good ideas!

Here's the checklist I made real quick incase others come across this thread:

Oil change boat VLX

BUY:
6 qts Penzzoil 15w-40 oil for engine
2 pints?. SAE30 Penzzoil for V-drive
2 Qts Penzoil Type A Dexron II, III or Dexron/MErcon (ATF fluid)
Penzzoil Marine Z-M Corrosion Protectant and Lubricant
Fuel Filter (inline= indmar 556003_ (spin-on indmar 786020)

DIRECTIONS:

Warm-up engine 15 mins on lake

Drain oil through hose or suck it out through top using my Oil Boy to a catch container

Use ziplock bag under filter, unscrew filter, remove

Lube 0 ring on new filter (PZ3),

Fill oil filter 1/2 with oil

install new filter 1/2 turn by hand after seal sets

Fill engine with new oil (Penzoil 15W-40 6 qts.) with a funnel.

Suck out oil from V-drive transmission cap

Replace with 2 qts. of SAE30 Penzzoil

Water impeller replace, use WD40 or cooking spray or vaseline, good light and mirror required

Proper air in trailer tires

Trailer bearing grease

Trailer brake fluid

Hey man need help, I put my vacuume oil pump down into dipstick hole, and sucked for about 20 minutes and I only got about 2 quarts out, what's best way to get the rest out? I should need to get about another 3 quarts out correct? And this is same concept as a car or truck right? Drain oil and replace filter and Lil, what are you talking about when you say replace with 2 QTS of sae30 where is that going to?

2 hours ago, Tclark said:

Hey man need help, I put my vacuume oil pump down into dipstick hole, and sucked for about 20 minutes and I only got about 2 quarts out, what's best way to get the rest out? I should need to get about another 3 quarts out correct? And this is same concept as a car or truck right? Drain oil and replace filter and Lil, what are you talking about when you say replace with 2 QTS of sae30 where is that going to?

Put the pump tube up the drain plug hose instead.... like a giant catheter. Adjust the depth of the tube occasionally to be sure you have it in the oil.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:56 AM, Tclark said:

DO NOT PUT THE VACUUM PUMP TUBE DOWN THE DIPSTICK TUBE!  (Don't ask how I know and a few others on here know this. :whistle:)

On 5/17/2017 at 8:58 AM, Bill_AirJunky said:

Put the pump tube up the drain plug hose instead.... like a giant catheter. Adjust the depth of the tube occasionally to be sure you have it in the oil.

^^^This works much better.  

Or you can make an adapter to screw onto the end of the oil pan drain hose.  Male end of air tool quick connects work well.      

• Like 3
On 5/18/2017 at 4:58 PM, blk93jeepzj said:

DO NOT PUT THE VACUUM PUMP TUBE DOWN THE DIPSTICK TUBE!  (Don't ask how I know and a few others on here know this. :whistle:)

Okay, I'll be that guy and ask.... Why not? I've been doing it for years through the dipstick hole with no issue. Maybe I just have a longer tube than most, blessed I know, but I don't see what could go wrong here.....with mine at least.

1 minute ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Okay, I'll be that guy and ask.... Why not? I've been doing it for years through the dipstick hole with no issue. Maybe I just have a longer tube than most, blessed I know, but I don't see what could go wrong here.....with mine at least.

Here ya go....

On 5/20/2017 at 9:55 AM, blk93jeepzj said:

Here ya go....

Holy crap thats again so much man I'll def never be doing that! I actually ended up doing what you said, drop the hose off of oil pan and sucked it as much as I could   got about another 2 quarts out, then the filter when I removed it pretty sure that was my last quart lol luckily caught most of oil but now ready to rock and roll, will it hurt if I didnt get every single drop? I'm sure there's still come in there but I tried by best

47 minutes ago, Tclark said:

Holy crap thats again so much man I'll def never be doing that! I actually ended up doing what you said, drop the hose off of oil pan and sucked it as much as I could   got about another 2 quarts out, then the filter when I removed it pretty sure that was my last quart lol luckily caught most of oil but now ready to rock and roll, will it hurt if I didnt get every single drop? I'm sure there's still come in there but I tried by best

Glad to help.

No one gets every last drop out.  Angle of the pan and such makes it quite a bit harder than on a car/truck to get it all out.  

So not all of the indmars have the pan tube hooked to that mount at top of motor like my 14'? I'm a mechanical idiot and even that was easy for me to put extractor hose down!

On 5/22/2017 at 9:34 AM, blk93jeepzj said:

Glad to help.

No one gets every last drop out.  Angle of the pan and such makes it quite a bit harder than on a car/truck to get it all out.  

About to head to lake Friday, just want to clarify, I (won't ever do it again down dipstick) sucked about 1.5 quarts out of dipstick tube, Then like you said I stuck it up the oil drain hose, got maybe another 1.5 -2 quarts, then oil filter probably lost another quart lol, that being said I am maybe got total of 4.5-5 quarts out, I only put 5 quarts in because I didnt know how much I actually got out, but on dipstick it reads good, so if I am a quart to high will it affect anything or is it better to be a little more rather than a little less? Thanks again I appreciate your help !

Edited by Tclark
formulaben

Probably going to regret this comment, but I really don't know why anyone uses the vacuum via dipstick tube method.  So many times I hear of catastrophic consequences while doing this.  I just drop the drain hose though the garboard drain, leave overnight (or for several days at end of season) and then finish oil change when convenient.  Unless you don't have the hose attached to the bottom of your engine oil pan I really don't see why you'd do it any other way?  What am I missing?

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Probably going to regret this comment, but I really don't know why anyone uses the vacuum via dipstick tube method.  So many times I hear of catastrophic consequences while doing this.  I just drop the drain hose though the garboard drain, leave overnight (or for several days at end of season) and then finish oil change when convenient.  Unless you don't have the hose attached to the bottom of your engine oil pan I really don't see why you'd do it any other way?  What am I missing?

In my boats case, the drain hose isn't long enough to reach out any of the hull drains. I could remove one of the ballast pumps & run the drain hose out there, but thats a PITA. I just use the pump to suck it out the drain hose. 5 or 10 minutes later it's done.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

In my boats case, the drain hose isn't long enough to reach out any of the hull drains. I could remove one of the ballast pumps & run the drain hose out there, but thats a PITA. I just use the pump to suck it out the drain hose. 5 or 10 minutes later it's done.

My hose is long enough to go out the rear drain plug, but I usually change the oil on the lift, so it becomes a pita to take the plug out and grab the hose.  My parents SeaRay the hose is just clipped to the side of the block.

We "made" an adapter for each boat with a male air hose quick release.  Male threaded for theirs and female threaded for mine.  https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/79802559  Hop in the boat with vacumme pump and like Bill said done in 10-15 min.  

• Like 1

Ok, I tried to locate the thread but I can't find it.  What oil for the direct drive monsoon?  I can't find the Pennzoil marine 15W40 so was thinking Rotella, which my local O'Reilly's has along with the correct Wix filter.  Which Rotella are you guys using?

They have an extractor too, which I will probably use to try and get as much oil out as I can.  Planning on draining overnight, but it is still cool overnight, though warm in the day.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
9 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Ok, I tried to locate the thread but I can't find it.  What oil for the direct drive monsoon?  I can't find the Pennzoil marine 15W40 so was thinking Rotella, which my local O'Reilly's has along with the correct Wix filter.  Which Rotella are you guys using?

They have an extractor too, which I will probably use to try and get as much oil out as I can.  Planning on draining overnight, but it is still cool overnight, though warm in the day.  

Rotella T 15-40  was what I used the last time - the normal stuff that any auto parts store has.

If you have an extractor then pick up a barb fitting for it that hooks up to the drain hose on the engine.  I got the fitting at home depot in the plumbing section

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2