Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 VLX stock weighting for surf

TURNITRED

Looking forward to heading out this weekend for my first surf session on my 06 VLX. Don't have any fat sacks yet so was wondering what anyone would recommend as far as weighting. I have the two rear tanks, center tank, and bow tank. Should i be putting any water in the center or rear? Or just surf side rear locker? Wedge down i presume.

You're gonna need additional weight for that boat if you want any decent type of wave. Best you can do without additional sacs is everything full except for non Surfside rear, you can play with wedge position but it probably won't help much. Best wave I've seen on that boat is 1100 sac in surf side locker 750 on surf side rear seat 400 in bow surf side and all stock ballast full except for non surf side rear. No wedge with that weight set up

I have the same hull as yours and my setup is:

750 lbs in rear locker surf side in addition to the 200 lbs stock tank

400 lbs surf side mid ship

500 lbs center tank full

400 lbs in bow pushed to surf side

No wedge for surfing

You need extra ballast bags for that hull no getting around it

500 lbs center tank full

No wedge for surfing

Can you expand on what you mean specifically when you say "that hull"?

- Jeff

Can you expand on what you mean specifically when you say "that hull"?

- Jeff

He's referring to the hull design; which in your case is the V25 Wake hull. It was used on a number of different Malibus for a number of years - you can look it up under "Malibu Specifications" in the resources section (have to be on the non-mobile version of the site).

My '05 VLX has the same hull and I'm planning on trying surfing this summer too. I gave it a run on a boogie board last summer with stock 'surf-side,' center, and front ballast tanks full + wedge. A surf board would probably work much better than the cheap "slick bottom" boogie board I tried, but it seemed that I'd need a lot more weight to go ropeless either way.

I'm probably going to add some 750's in the rear hatches and just fill one for surfing. Not sure how well that'll work with just that - maybe someone has tried with a similar boat. I've got a pair of 200 bags that I'll try on the surf-side seat and/or bow as well but it'd be great not to have to fill and drain those every time. I'm not sure the bow hard tank alone will be enough weight up front though.

Edited by Big_Moose_Wakesetter

Thanks! Ya'll recommend Bakes for buying Bags?

I think many people would recommend Bakes as they're a site supporter. There's also a group buy going through the end of the month for paid members which it looks like you already are. Take a look in the group buys forum!

He's referring to the hull design; which in your case is the V25 Wake hull. It was used on a number of different Malibus for a number of years - you can look it up under "Malibu Specifications" in the resources section (have to be on the non-mobile version of the site).

My '05 VLX has the same hull and I'm planning on trying surfing this summer too. I gave it a run on a boogie board last summer with stock 'surf-side,' center, and front ballast tanks full + wedge. A surf board would probably work much better than the cheap "slick bottom" boogie board I tried, but it seemed that I'd need a lot more weight to go ropeless either way.

I'm probably going to add some 750's in the rear hatches and just fill one for surfing. Not sure how well that'll work with just that - maybe someone has tried with a similar boat. I've got a pair of 200 bags that I'll try on the surf-side seat and/or bow as well but it'd be great not to have to fill and drain those every time. I'm not sure the bow hard tank alone will be enough weight up front though.

Excellent explaination. I find the wedge messes up the surf wake. When deployed it doesnt form a nice clean wave. For wakeboarding the wedge is great.

Extra ballast makes all the difference for surfing with the V25 hull. It will take a lot of extra weight to make a great wake but once you've got it dialed in you'll never go back.

I got all my ballast from bakes. They're a good source

Edited by 09vRide

I would suggest bringing a lot of people with you (sitting all on the surf side) and also try no bow ballast if you have a tough time. Bow ballast generally lengthens the wave while sacrificing height and push a little.

500 lbs center tank full

No wedge for surfing

I run almost the exact same setup with good results. I think somewhere around 10-10.5 mph. Do you need that much weight to surf without the rope? No. But this setup definitely makes it a lot more fun!

I have the '06 VLX, with the diamond hull, and we surf constantly and only have the stock ballast for the lefties. I'm a goofey, so I added a 750 to my side!

Pretty much the same as others, but replace the extra sacs with people. I've found that you have to play with the weight up in the bow based on how many people / weight you have in the rear corner. We run 10.3 for the left, and 10.6 for the right. (varies a little depending on how many people we have)

Wedge is always a hot topic. What we found was that the wedge makes the pocket smaller and steeper, unless you have a LOT of weight up front. No wedge makes the pocked a lot longer, but not as steep. As you get better surfing, the long pocket is better. If all you are doing is trying to stay standing ropeless, the wedge can help.

I have the '06 VLX, with the diamond hull, and we surf constantly and only have the stock ballast for the lefties. I'm a goofey, so I added a 750 to my side!

Pretty much the same as others, but replace the extra sacs with people. I've found that you have to play with the weight up in the bow based on how many people / weight you have in the rear corner. We run 10.3 for the left, and 10.6 for the right. (varies a little depending on how many people we have)

Wedge is always a hot topic. What we found was that the wedge makes the pocket smaller and steeper, unless you have a LOT of weight up front. No wedge makes the pocked a lot longer, but not as steep. As you get better surfing, the long pocket is better. If all you are doing is trying to stay standing ropeless, the wedge can help.

Very helpful. Thanks again. i'm just jacked to get out on the water. Supposed to be around 90 and sunny in Tulsa OK this weekend!

I have the same hull. Here's my setup:

NO wedge

ALL stock ballast full (yes even non surf side locker)

400 bow surf side

2-250s under surf side seats

400 rear locker surf side

* if only 3 people add 400 surf side floor, if 4+ people you won't need it

Also, you only need 400 total in bow, if you have stock ballast up there you don't need additional

10.6 mph

(Also, if you've never slammed your boat like this, please use caution! Maybe start with one bag, surf a bit, fill another, etc.....)

And this has been the reason I wanted to sell my boat. It works.

500 lbs center tank full

No wedge for surfing

Is I ok to put bags in the rear lockers? I have a sticker in there That says not to put more than 75lbs in there

NO wedge

400 bow surf side

Also, you only need 400 total in bow, if you have stock ballast up there you don't need additional

10.6 mph

(Also, if you've never slammed your boat like this, please use caution! Maybe start with one bag, surf a bit, fill another, etc.....)

NO wedge

400 bow surf side

10.6 mph

Was out all day today. all stock ballast full except non-surf side. 750 additional in rear locker. 450 surf side mid ship. surfs up!