Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1 awg - Suficient for Short Runs From Switch to Battery.

Murphy8166

Going to re-do the cabeling from Blue Sea Switch to my batteries. In the past I have used 1/0 but have about 10 feet of 1awg. sitting in the garage.

2 batteries in total...battery one goes to spot 1 on switch / battery two goes to spot 2 on switch. One run will be about 2 ft and the other will be about 2ft 8in. My stereo is also wired into my Blue Sea Swtich....I used 1/0 for that (switch to amp board). Max current on amps cumulative is probably around 200 amps.

Can I use the 1 awg that I have or do I need to go and get some 0 awg or 1/0 awg.

Edited by Murphy8166

Murphy,

The issue is the accumulated resistance and the qualifiers are distance times current.

The collective amplifier fusing is not always a good indication of the current draw of music.

By my chart 1-gauge is good for 2000 watts of amplification at 50% efficiency for 24 feet total (12 ft. + & 12 ft. -), or 4000 watts of amplification at 50% efficiency for 12 feet total (6 ft. + & 6 ft. -).

Larger than 1-gauge may not provide a benefit for such a short distance but then the cost of 0-gauge for such a short distance is minimal.

Not to be overlooked and just as important as the wire gauge is the quality of the terminations.

David

I think the finer the wire, or essentially more of them, help in flexibility and signal quality too. You may think about solder lugs too. David ?

Steve B.

I strongly recommend both a crimp and solder with a heatshrink sleeve. I do not like a terminal lug with a solder reservoir where you are solely dependent on solder for connection as solder alone can eventually fracture with a combination of a heavy cable, shock and vibration, plus a fixed termination. With a heavy gauge lug and a solid crimp you get a strong mechanical bind followed by solder to fill all voids and provide a seal against corrosion.

David