Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Multiple amps, which amp for which speakers?

FastFreddy

I'm redoing the stereo in my 1999 VLX.

Here are the various parts I currently have.

Exile SM600.1

RF Punch 500.2

MTX Audio TC4004

For speakers I have the following:

Tower speakers - 4 X Exile SXT65

Sub - 1 X 12" RF M212S4B

Interior speakers - 4X TBD

My question is which amp should I use for what speakers. I don't know the difference between class AB, D, etc. I don't know which amp is a full freq amp.

I know what the cross-over is for, the RF and MTX both have HP, LP and AP/FR. The Exile has LP and BP (Bypass right?)

So far I'm thinking the Exile amp for the subwoofer since it is only a 1 channel amp, that seems obvious.

The two channel RF for the tower speakers. Can I run 4 speakers off of this thing? two per channel in paralel. Not bridged.

The 4 channel amp for the inboat speakers. Any recommendation on some decent speakers. Something around 100watts RMS since the amp is 400 watts and I'd run 4 channels, not bridged.

Does this all make sense?

Yes, you have the amps picked for the right zones.

The 4 ch amp is really only 50 a channel.

How much do you want to spend on speakers? Kicker and polk make good stuff at the under $100 a pair pricepoint.

I did a little bit of googling... All amps are Class AB (whatever that means) and they are all 20-20,000Hz. One question I have is that the MTX says 4ohm 50w X 4 and 2ohm 100w X 4. How do I make it 2ohm resistance? Is that dependant on the speakers I use? How I wire the speakers? Or will I end up sending 50watts to each speaker no matter what I do.

I'd like to spend no more than $100/pair on interior speakers.

some speakers have a lower impedance by design. I wouldn't get TOO hung up on 50 vs. 100 though.

I run these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E5PN2A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=heaprcom05-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creativeASIN=B001E5PN2A Although published specs say 4ohms for the mm651ums, mine say 3 ohms on the magnets.

They'd probably require you to remove your windshield to install. Maybe some dremmelling too to open up the holes under the dash a bit.

Kicker also makes a coaxial that is available as a 2 or 4 ohm version, but it looks like you have to buy the 2 ohm version right from kicker for $149 a pair. http://www.kicker.com/km_coaxials

At that point though you are really close to the JL MX650s, which would be my sonic preference (I really like how they sound). @$200 a pair options REALLY start to open up....

The speakers you could wire up to be 2 ohms; if each is a 4 ohm speaker you could wire them in parallel for a 2 ohm load, but you wouldn't have 4 separate channels then and it would sound crappier. Just run each to its own channel even if they're all 4 ohm speakers.

I've also been happy with kicker products in the past; lots of bang for the buck, but $100/pair doesn't go very far IMO.

SeanQ,

Yes, wiring 2 4 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohm, but when placed on a single chnl, they will divide the amps output at that 2 ohm load. In the example above, the 2 ohm output is 100W. Either way, each speaker will still receive 50W rms. No advantage unless he needed the spare chnls for other speakers, but in this case, he's got it covered.

How do I make it 2ohm resistance? Is that dependant on the speakers I use? How I wire the speakers? Or will I end up sending 50watts to each speaker no matter what I do.

I'd like to spend no more than $100/pair on interior speakers.

Just buy 2 pair of 2 ohm marine speakers. They're out there now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll be shopping this weekend for something in a 6.5 inch speakers. I forgot I had bought a pair of used Wetsounds XS-650, they say 4ohms. Those will be on one channel, probably the rears, so I'm just looking for a good set of fronts (I could go $200 now). Will 50watts x4 be enough power to make the in cabins sound right?

Fred -

Exile amp on the sub

RF amp on the tower speakers. run them at 2ohm (parallel wired)

MTX on the cabins

Your set to go. Make sure you use some 4 ga wire with all these amplifiers.

Make sure you home run all the remotes of these amplifiers and also that of the headunit or EQ (to eliminate noise).

-Brian

I wouldn't worry about noise coming in on the amps or EQ's remote turn-on wire, no matter where you connect them to the head-unit, such as a relay or BUSS bar. Its the B+ positive circuits for amps, EQ and head-unit that all need to share the same battery source or you may have noise introduced. How you do the amp's and EQ turn-on wire can lead to a turn-on pop, but its not in the signal path, so no white, pink or any color noise should be coming in on that turn-on circuit.

I wouldn't worry about noise coming in on the amps or EQ's remote turn-on wire, no matter where you connect them to the head-unit, such as a relay or BUSS bar. Its the B+ positive circuits for amps, EQ and head-unit that all need to share the same battery source or you may have noise introduced. How you do the amp's and EQ turn-on wire can lead to a turn-on pop, but its not in the signal path, so no white, pink or any color noise should be coming in on that turn-on circuit.

For wiring i'm running 1/0 gauge wire from the battery to a terminal block, both pos and neg. The pos block has 4 fuses and splits 4 way. From there 3 amps will be powered with 4 gauge and i'll power the eq from the same block.

I haven't decided if its going under the observers side or the drivers side yet.

OK I found another amp on my shelf. It's a Clarion DPX1001.2 It says it's also 20-20,000khz and 150x2 at 4 ohms, 300x2 at 2ohms. and 500x2 at 1ohm.

Is this better than the other amps I have listed? Should I use it for the tower speakers or for the interior speakers?

That clarion would be really good on your interior speakers, but you would lose independent control of front and rear channels, which can be important on your boat. The dash speakers can sound very "in your face" and it can be nice to undergain them a bit. That said, when we had our vride I ran four speakers off of a powerful two channel amp and it friggin rocked on four mediocre kicker speakers. Sounded really good. I'd think with some decent interiors, being fed 100+ watts apiece, you'd be loving it.

That clarion would be really good on your interior speakers, but you would lose independent control of front and rear channels, which can be important on your boat. The dash speakers can sound very "in your face" and it can be nice to undergain them a bit. That said, when we had our vride I ran four speakers off of a powerful two channel amp and it friggin rocked on four mediocre kicker speakers. Sounded really good. I'd think with some decent interiors, being fed 100+ watts apiece, you'd be loving it.

Thanks for the tip.

• 4 weeks later...