Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfable Wake

racer808

Deciding if I want to spend the money or just save for more. I have a 2002 vlx w/ the 325hp & I have the acme 1235 prop. If I put a 750lb sack on the surf side, fill locker w/ 600 pounds & get a 400lb up front am I going to get a surf wake? If I need more then that I think I am going to hold off. Just curious

I have a 2001 VLX with no wedge. I run a 750 in the surf side storage locker. 300 lb on the floor, surfside, and the ski locker filled up. then I move people around accordingly

You will be fine with your current set up. Run it this year and mess around with moving people to get your perfect set up.

You mean with the 250lb hard tanks I have? The only reason I want to replace those now is so the rangers get off my a**. If I go to any other lake I have to go through decontamination again. They said with sacs they can tell by them being flat there is not water. He did if I make hard tanks visible so they can see if there is water in them or not he would leave me alone. Would cutting away some carpet on the bottom of the tanks make it visible? The tank pics I've seen on here they look dark yellow & cant see in them?

Yes I have the manual wedge, I have a 600lb ski locker sac right now & the stock 250lb hard tanks in the rear. Trying to decide if I want to order the 750lb sacs for our surf side. I don't need ballast for boarding, we are not that good & the stock wake is perfect for us for now.

Edited by racer808

I have the same boat and it is very surfable with a 750lbs, mid-tank full and bow weight. Additional weight on surf side depends on how big the crew.

Here's a short clip of my buddy's girlfriend going ropeless on her second day out. In that clip, 750lbs in the locker, mid-tank full, 300lbs on the bow. 4 peeps on the goofy side

Edited by demo9asx

I have the same boat and it is very surfable with a 750lbs, mid-tank full and bow weight. Additional weight on surf side depends on how big the crew.

Here's a short clip of my buddy's girlfriend going ropeless on her second day out. In that clip, 750lbs in the locker, mid-tank full, 300lbs on the bow. 4 peeps on the goofy side

How do you set your weight on the regular side? It is so much easier to get a good wave on the goofy side. I am curious what you do for the other side, or do you just surf a smaller wave on the port side?

Regular setup with only me (surfing), wife (driver) and son (9 yr old)

350 lbs bow (surf side)

400/500 lbs mid MLS tank (full) (honestly don't know what's the size)

400 lbs under seat (surf side)

750 lbs locker

No wedge

Stock prop (ACME 381) - Planning to upgrade to ACME 1235

werd. I have the 1235 and everyone complains about the wave when I put that much weight in my bow. I am doing close to the same otherwise.

750 storage locker

I have a 300lb bag for the seats

and full mid ballast.

If I add weight up front my crew complains. From what I understand no bow weight makes for a smaller pocket and a steeper wave. Is that correct?

I am running the 1235. When you add the 1235 please post up if you have to make any weight changes.

From what I understand no bow weight makes for a smaller pocket and a steeper wave. Is that correct?

I am running the 1235. When you add the 1235 please post up if you have to make any weight changes.

That's what I found. Earlier, all I did was load the rear corner surf side with either people or ballast and the wake was big and steep but very short. You basically have to surf right behind the swim platform. After further testing, I found that the bow weight lengthen the wave and you have some room to move back and forth. Sure it drops the height of the wave but I'm pretty happy.

I'll definitely post a clip when I get the 1235. One thing at a time, too many things on the shopping list :lol:

That's what I found. Earlier, all I did was load the rear corner surf side with either people or ballast and the wake was big and steep but very short. You basically have to surf right behind the swim platform. After further testing, I found that the bow weight lengthen the wave and you have some room to move back and forth. Sure it drops the height of the wave but I'm pretty happy.

I'll definitely post a clip when I get the 1235. One thing at a time, too many things on the shopping list :lol:

How fast were you going, 10mph?

Unless my speedo/PP is off, it was set at 10.5mph.

Maybe the camera angle? I checked my speedo with a handheld GPS before and it seems accurate

must have been camera angle. Yeah you looked WAY faster than 10.5. It may have been a rendering issue on my end as well. I guess you need that 400 lbs on the side of the boat is a big deal. The only thing i'm missing from your setup is that extra weight. If i put the bag up front and dont add weight to the side it doesn't look anywhere close to as good as your wave. If I move the bag off the bow and set it on the seat it looks closer to that...but that is a nice wave right there.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Got to surf my vlx this weekend. 750 surf side, 500 in the locker and 300 pounds of people on surf side. Wedge down too. I thought it was big. My friend could go rope less, I'm getting it but can't ride but rope less yet. Want fresh exhaust. Its not bad but every now then you really notice exhaust smells.

Any Wake pics? I have similar set up on my 01 23lsv, curios to see how different hulls and props compare. I just started to experiment ,this is 750 in surf side locker,1 pass, no wedge,1/8 tank of fuel,14-18 prop, 11 mph. Have new 537 acme to try next outing with more weight.

post-19713-0-26348900-1368982529_thumb.j

post-19713-0-22017400-1368982560_thumb.j

Heres my friend going ropeless. I didn't take pics of just the wave. We were going between 10.5 & 9.8, I have the acme 1235. I would just get the 1100s, they are what 10 bucks more? Even to add just another 100 pounds would have helped. We are still learning & will fine tune. I am supposed to get 600 pounds of lead plates this week so I am going to play around with that.

IMG_20130518_183326_zps2897d10e.jpg

This me unable to go ropless. I will never use a ski rope again, I messed up my hand having the rope part yanked out when trying to pull into the wave. I ordered a surf rope last night.

IMG_20130518_184546_zpsbcc8636b.jpg

I'll be adding a DIY surfgate soon. Trying not to lean her over any more than it does with one 750 plus gear and passengers. Thinking with surfgate I can partially fill opposite side 750 . I'll see how it does tomorrow with new prop, wedge down and center locker filled.