Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

surf tabs?

FastFreddy

I don't think that's controversial, Ryan. Bigger boat = bigger wave. Sure there are exceptions across brands and whatnot, but that's certainly the general consensus. Don't see why SG or NSS would change that. The bigger the hole in the water, the bigger the resulting wave.

I've had a really good surf session behind a X-Star with no tabs. Not much extra weight, 600 lbs, plus a few peopler. I was surprised. Everyone hates on it, but it's pretty good with some extra weight.

Ryan, do you think SG & NSS flattens out the wave a bit?

We should talk. I have a good friend with an x star and we couldn't figure out how to dial it. We probably had 2k or more in it. I'd like to be able to help him out.

Surfer- post up some pics of the Xstar wake you are describing when you get a chance....

SG and NSS flatten the wave? Absolutely not brother. I came in on this as skeptical.... But I'm a believer. It def makes a better wave. I rode behind a 23LSV with 350hp that I know without SG would not have been possible.... Or at a minimum comfortable/safe without SG. Now with that being said... I think there is room for improvement... Shape/size of the gates and the spray issues which are reportedly being looked at.

The only deception.... Or gaming in this I have seen... Mostly by Malibu you can see in that last demo video with Malibudude. Best video to date IMO, but all those amazing waves are NOT on VTX, VLX, 22 etc. if I had to bet, all those great monster waves you see on there are in the 23 and the 24mxz. There should have qualified those ride clips with tags "2013 23LSV" or "2013 24 MXZ". That video sells that if you buy "Surfgate" those waves are what you are getting, not always the case, big variation in the effectiveness and performance of SG along the different boat models. But, even on those other models, it will still provide a better wave than without SG.

I'm sure that will cause an uproar on here. Flame suit on.

Firm or Mushy? The thing that gets me about that video.... Why are they all on huge boards?

I really don't want to talk much on here about Nautique.... I did a write with pics over on PN. Folks on here should know me by now, I'll call it the way I see it. But I don't think even the most critical could consider G23 NSS surf wave mushy.

I do understand how folks could consider SOME of the SG waves mushy, although I'd disagree, honestly, I'd attribute that to going too slow( under 11mph) and perfectly even weighting.

Do a slight cheat to surf side and pick up the speed 11.4 - 11.8.... Not mushy at all IMO. I'd surf waves like in that video all day long.

I have a centurion enzo pic I'd like to share... 20ft long, perfect form... But only thigh high, only 2100lbs ballast That's rider's preference as to exactly what you are looking for.

• 1 month later...

They work. This is on a newer X-10. We've installed MC generation 2 surf tabs on a couple of X-Stars recently. That plus extra wake makers fly high ballast. Wow!

As a 2013 X-Star owner, I would love to see any footage of what you can get out of these. Mine is surfable on the port side, starboard is a mess. We have been experimenting with additional ballast positioning of the talking and non talking kind.

Having done a home made fin on a 2009 247, I have to agree with Nyryan. I am 100% sold on delayed convergence surf wakes for producing competition level wakes. I posted video a while back showing that my gated wake is taller, bigger and longer than my slammed and leaned wake. We have the ability to do either type, and not once this year have we ever even thought about not using the gate. The wake has a better transition at the bottom, which makes it far easier to ride for beginners, and far more fun to ride for everyone else. Has more push, you can get back way further on it, and its just a lot more fun.

Have a friend with a g23. We rode it without NSS, and the wake was tall, steep and short. He added NSS, and now the wake is really nice, and that's just with stock plus 300 per side. nyryan - we are having some exhaust issues with the G23 surfing - did you try FAE, or have any other suggestions?

Well verdict is in. My surf tabs do help quite a bit. It definately lists the boat more and shapes the wake but doesn't really make it bigger. I didn't have much time to test but we did go ropeless with 7 passengers, 750lbs in the rear locker and about 150lbs in the bow.

005_zps198e4821.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well verdict is in. My surf tabs do help quite a bit. It definately lists the boat more and shapes the wake but doesn't really make it bigger. I didn't have much time to test but we did go ropeless with 7 passengers, 750lbs in the rear locker and about 150lbs in the bow.

What are the dimensions of the tabs? Was the boat evenly weighted or weighted towards the surfside?

Edited by kerpluxal

What are the dimensions of the tabs? Was the boat evenly weighted or weighted towards the surfside?

The tabs are the standard 8x10 I think. It is not a gate but tabs like a MC. Check out the first post. Boat was not evenly weighted.