Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

REV10's problems!

91Sunsetter

My audio guy just called me and said my system is done and sounds amazing!!!! Except the REV10's, said they sound awful!!! Can't barely handle any power at all, lots of distoration. He even switched them to running in series and still sound decent AT BEST! I asked if they could be faulty, but he said the odds of both being faulty but sounding the exact same was doubtful. Very frustrated, considering I had to wait forever on these $1400 speakers. I dont understand how every person on here can be wrong about the quality. Although people here also love XM7's and to me they were disappointing on my sunsetter. Hince why I refused to go that route this time.

Set-up

Speakers are recieving 300watts each from a JL 600/1

Also installer is the store manager and 20 years experience. Zero doubts in his judgement!

Isn't that amp a sub mono amp? That might be your issue? Just my thoughts. Also, 300 watts is bare minimum, a Syn-4 at 400x2 would sound killer on them though.

Edited by DQ

Your "audio guy" who is also the store manager with 20 years experience said the Rev 10's sound amazing ......you say they sound awful to you .....he cannot make them sound any better even though there is practically zero chance of two bad speakers.............and yet you also say you trust his judgement. I am surprised you call this thread "REV 10 problems" instead of "audio guy problems"

Edited by skyskier

It's a full range amplifier, mono is fine considering you are 75 feet away from two speakers that are 3 feet apart!

Your "audio guy" who is also the store manager with 20 years experience said the Rev 10's sound amazing ......you say they sound awful to you .....he cannot make them sound any better even though there is practically zero chance of two bad speakers.............and yet you also say you trust his judgement. I am surprised you call this thread "REV 10 problems" instead of "audio guy problems"

Thats not what the post says..

Hey skyskier! He said the REV10s sound awful! I then said that my exiles sounded bad. Two different boats.

Edited by 91Sunsetter

We have a pair of REV 10s on the tower and pushed by a syn 4 amp... sound is great... get some distortion when you go above 80% volume, but at that point you can't hear yourself think. I would get a second opinion by having your audio guy call WetSounds and describe the setup and get their input... could be a bad pair... usually when things go wrong in manufacturing, they go wrong for a few assemblies, not just one. Definitely worth a call to WetSounds. Good luck!

There are some Class D monoblocks that have more than enough bandwidth to play a tower HLCD in an open field environment.

However, the one that you specifically referenced is a dedicated lowpass amplifier strictly intended for subwoofers.

Check back with your audio guy and verify you are speaking of the same amplifier. If the model is correct then it is a simple matter of the wrong product for that particular role.

David

The only 600/1 in JL's lineup is the xd 600/1 and it's most definitely not full range.

I'd try a different amp, if only for testing purposes. I came from bullet hollowpoints and was very very very impressed with the rev10s.

There is a passive crossover installed to the 600/1 to compensate the low fequencies. A lot more testing is happening tomorrow, different speakers, different amp, trial and error I guess. At least it amuses Murphy.

There is a passive crossover installed to the 600/1 to compensate the low fequencies. A lot more testing is happening tomorrow, different speakers, different amp, trial and error I guess. At least it amuses Murphy.

That IS starting to sound really dumb tho. Your installer blew it trying to use a sub amp. Now needs to install full range. There are lots of good full range tower amps out there. Hopefully they didn't mess anything up. I bet they pounded on the tower tho.

91 - we are here to help buddy.

I'd save yourself the time and money of your installer trying to trouble shoot and just have him put in an amp that will do 300 - 400 watts per channel and has full range capability.

btw - Mikes Liquid Audio is fairly close to you - might be worth talking to him or getting product that matches your application.

Edited by Murphy8166

A passive highpass filter in this application simply doesn't work. Regardless of the HP filter, it uses a series capacitor that is dependent on the termination value to filter at the correct frequency. The 10-inch midbass driver loaded in a small pod is going to have a tremendous impedance rise when approaching its resonance. That will re-bias the capacitor value relating to frequency. So while you would get a small attenuation shelf, you would not get a 1st order roll-off as expected. Basically it's doing nothing in this case, other than creating an insertion loss.

The other problem is the specific amplifier has no upper bandwidth. On an HLCD, a flat 10 or 12 kHz top end would probably be sufficient, but you are not even in the ballpark here. Compounding this is the issue that the amplifier lowpass filter is adjustable but not defeatable so while set at it's highest cut-off level, you are completely missing a gross majority of the material.

David

• Like 1

In your original thread, you stated you were going to run a JL Audio MHD750/1 for the towers, which is a full range amp.

Why did your installer choose a JL Audio XD600/1, an amp that isn't full range, other than the fact it is about half the cost?

Because I ended up going with 2 12w6s instead of 1, which made me change up my amps. 3 x 600/1, 1 600/6. Which was a mistake, looking at avail options now, considering custom amp rack is complete. But the subs and cabins sound....words can't express!

one pair of Rev10s or two?

An xd 400/4, bridged, is the exact same size as the 600/1 and would drive a pair of rev 10s "pretty good" (not giving them all they could take, but night and day better than what's on em now).

And your installer should be apologizing profusely.

Edited by shawndoggy

I also would have him swap the 600/1 for a 400/4, bridged to the two towers would give you 200 to each and still be plenty loud. Amps are the same price as well. That 600/1 at best can let you play up to 500hz and as has been said, those Rev10's need to get frequencies into the 10,000hz range